Deep Red or Suspiria, which is the masterpiece

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by RHINO4EVR, Sep 20, 2002.

1. RHINO4EVR

RHINO4EVR Guest

Hello, Everyone, Im a new person to the board, although I have been reading this site for over a year now. I have always had an obsession with horror films. some of my fav's are everyones favs like the romero Trilogy, and the Evil dead trilogy, but I also like stuff like Killer klowns, Night of the Creeps, Dead Alive, Meet the Feebles, and what not. Never been a huge fan of the slasher genre. Liked the first nightmare and friday movies and that's about it. Anyway im getting off subject. recently i got into an arguement with my girlfriend (yes she likes horror too) about Dario Argetno.

Which film is his masterpiece. Profundo Russo or Suspiria

i have to say suspiria just because of it's total atmosphere and presentation, even though i feel there aren't enough murders in Suspiria. She says deep red, with it's great murder scenes and better story. So im leaving it to your opinion, which one do you like better. Or do you like another Argetno film more. Ive heard a lot of people like tenebre, but i never thought it was that great, maybe because im not a fan of the slasher genre. Although deep red has some of that too. I feel deep red has a better atmosphere and camera work then tenebre. Post your opinion

2. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

between Deep Red and Suspiria, id say Deep Red is the better one. Deep Red has some awesome murders and that scene with the puppet thing is creepy to me. Plus i am more a fan of giallo style then supernatural, so i would appreciate Deep Red more.

overall, i think Tenebre is his best movie, everything about that movie is top notch to me- the great death scenes (especially the 2 dykes), the music was cool, Daria Nicolodi was awesome as always and alot more.

and by the way, Night of the Creeps is great

3. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Deep Red definitley has the more coherent plot, but Suspiria is more about the visuals & overall mood projected from the film. IMO, they're on equal ground, for different reasons. Good topic, but shouldn't this be posted in the Euro Horror Forum?

4. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

"Profondo Rosso" without a doubt! I really like "Suspiria" also, but a bit overrated IMHO. :)

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, without overstating the obvious, you really are talking about two different movies here.

I kinda see Suspiria as the VISUAL masterpiece. Every single scene, no matter how mundane, is completely bizarre visually.

Deep Red is definitely the Giallo masterpiece, and as much as I like Giallos, I almost think everyone should have stopped making them after Deep Red, 'cause they really don't get better than that. OK, that's probably too severe, but still. Even Dario's future Giallo efforts to me are not quite as polished as Deep Red.

I've said it before, but Tenebrae is highly enjoyable yet has serious flaws as well. I love the 2 minute camera crawl, but it's pointless. There are way too many murders in the film, so much that they lose their shock value. In Deep Red, all of the murders were relevant to the plot, but in Tenebrae, it seems like Dario purposely introduces characters just to create more bodies. Of course, Argento scholar Maitland McDonagh considers Tenebrae to be the Argento masterpiece, so everyone's gonna have a different opinion

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I think both films have their strengths. One is a giallo masterpiece. One is a supernatural horror masterpiece. Love them both, but Suspiria is definitely my favorite of the two, but mainly because it's the first Argento film I ever saw and it gives me good memories of being spooked as a kid. Also, welcome to the board, Rhino. I'm in South Florida too, as you can tell.

7. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

In Italy, people associate Dario Argento with <B>Profondo Rosso</b>. To them, it is the Argento film that made the most impact so I'd say that it is his true masterpiece. I, however, like <B>Suspiria</B>.

8. RHINO4EVR

RHINO4EVR Guest

well it looks like my topic got moved, wasn't sure where to post it. Anyway. Thanks for all your feedback I will definitely watch Tenebre again. It seems I may have been in a bad mood or tired when i was watching it. As far as living in S. Florida I live in Sunrise. Also one more thing Deep Red was the first Argetno film i saw so it's tough to pick between the two. I really like deep red alot, but suspiria just has something that deep red doesn't have. and i can't really explain it.

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Pathetic as it is, I've never seen Deep Red, but after all the good I've been reading about it in this thread, I think I'll go pick up a copy this weekend. I own Suspiris and thought it was great, so Rosso should be a no-brainer I suppose.

10. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Deep Red is good. But suspiria is better

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, really....what's your problem?

Seriously though, Deep Red is a great film. I like to consider it the middle film in Argento's "Art Trilogy". It's not an offical trilogy (though neither is the supposed "Animal Trilogy"), but he definitely made 3 films that centered on works of art.
    Those films are, of course:

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
    Deep Red
    The Stendhal Syndrome

to explain any more about how those movies fit together would ruin 'em for anyone who hasn't seen all 3

12. RHINO4EVR

RHINO4EVR Guest

Paff I haven't seen those other Argento Films, I guess I should check them out, the only problem is, if you want to see a good horror movie you pretty much have to buy it, there aren't anyplaces around here that rent that kind of amazing film. Well thanks for all your feedback

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Rhino,
    Had that same problem, and went out and bought them all. Was one of the best purchases I ever made. I got 2 of the double disc sets, and for a while Best Buy was selling them for $24 each. Great deal for 2 Argento films.

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Hardly any decent older movies are for rent here either so I have had to buy all of them. I've only been disappointed a few times but it's so damn cool to have a big horror collection where I can just pick a good dvd off the shelf and enjoy myself without worrying about returns and late fees. Oh I also think Deep Red is a little better than Suspiria. Suspiria is beautiful with all it's colors but I just like the mystery and suspense in Deep Red more.

15. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

this one is very difficult for me, but i think i would go with Profondo Rosso...visually Suspiria is outstanding but the story doesnt interest me very much, as opposed to Profondo Rosso, i think Rosso is more the complete package. Suspiria wins on the soundtrack even though i LOVE the theme in Rosso...

Tenebre, Opera and Inferno rate about the same to me depending on the mood. i still havent seen Cat and Bird, i thought Sleepless was a great step back up for Argento, Trauma could have been much better though i havent seen it yet completely uncut, Phantom doesnt do much for me, and i actually enjoy Stendhal very very much.

im sorry i answered more than what was asked.

16. David666

David666 Guest

Suspiria.

It was the first Argento I had ever seen.... when I was very young, and it was the only VHS I purchased upon it's initial release at $90... pan&scan. It's impression was deep and I have yet to shake the fascination with it.

Deep Red is quite a good ride as well, but for me Supiria will forever be Argento's milestone and his masterpiece. There is simply nothing out there even remotely like it... and that alone makes all the difference.

17. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

Deep Red all the way!!!

I would say Deep Red feels more masterful - though Suspiria is excellent as well. I guess I could really relate to the lead char. in Deep Red and I love the music here.

Bird is a close second for me - again a great soundtrack!!!

18. Mika

Mika Guest

Hmmmm....Argentos Masterpiece?....hmmm....Suspiria or Profondo Rosso....hmmm....ok.....I take Opera.:)

19. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

My favorite Argento flick is Tenebrae. It was my first Argento experience. The ending is truly classic! It's got everything you could ever want in an Argento flick and/or a giallo.

Out of Deep Red and Suspiria, I think Suspiria is the best crafted (the visual and audio side of things) in that it is the closest thing to art on screen you could ever want. Anyone who doesn't agree that films are art obviously haven't seen this picture.

But Deep Red has the better story and is probably a better movie overall. So which would I pick??? Umm... depends on the day I guess. :)

20. RHINO4EVR

RHINO4EVR Guest

What do you all think of phenomnea (spelling?) I liked it because it had such a strange turn at the end, I think the strangest turn in an Argento flick. There are some really cool scenes like when all the bugs surround the school, and how can anyone forget the ending with the monkey!!