Deep Red or Suspiria, which is the masterpiece

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by RHINO4EVR, Sep 20, 2002.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Phenomena is cool... I totally love the music and scenery in it. i really like the idea of the girl communicating with the bugs and everything. That spear thru the mouth murder is great too. there is a few parts of the movie that are pretty ridiculous tho, like that kid for instance and a few different scenes, like that i love you all scene..
    Donald Plesence (sp?) is really good as well.

overall its a good movie, i think he could have done more with it and made it alot better tho.

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Deep Red was my introduction to Argento and, to me, it remains one of his strongest movies (and one of my all-time favourites). I just love this film...it's always fresh, everytime I come to watch it I find something new to enjoy.

Suspiria, on the other hand, never lived up to my expectations. It's a great horror film but it's never really hit the spot for me in the way that Deep Red and Argento's other giallo movies have.

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I would have to say "DEEP RED" is the better movie. "SUSPIRIA" is awesome with its visuals and music tho, and it has some creepy scenes too. But "Deep Red" has a much better story and keeps you interested all the way through.
    "Tenebre" is one of my favourites too...almost better than "Deep Red" maybe. That ending still packs a punch no matter how many times I've seen it!
    :) :) :) :)

4. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

Phenomena is a highly enjoyable flick that is really underrated. I think it has a great dream-like atmosphere and the score is brilliant. The heavy metal music could've been used a little more sparingly however. Overall, just a great way to spend a couple hours. :)

5. yxz54

yxz54 Guest

Without a doubt DEEP RED is his masterpiece. SUSPIRIA is vastly overrated IMO.

Scott

6. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Deep Red was the first argento i saw and that is his best, Suspiria is his 2nd best.

7. Doombear

Doombear Member

Suspiria's cinematography, music, lighting and set design is stunning, but the plot is sometimes incomprehensible, fantastic, and mood-setting. The movie is hypnotic, and I suspect very experimental. I see very little flaws with this modern horror fairy tale called Suspiria. Masterpiece? Yes!

Deep Red had a better narrative to follow, and some amazing set-piece murders. The story was involving and interesting. That puppet-thing was freaky indeed. It has some perfect scenes. The movie is somewhat flawed in its pacing, so I cannot call it a total masterpiece. Anchor Bay messed up the DVD by offering us only the clumsy extended cut, so that makes it harder to consider a masterpiece.

8. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

Anchor Bay released the longest available cut of the film, and that's the version Argento himself prefers. He has said that 100 times in interviews etc. Or do you mean by "clumsy" that it has some rare scenes only in Italian with English subtitles. Well, those scenes don't exist in English spoken versions. Anchor Bay did the same thing with their wonderful presentations of Torso and Cut & Run, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm just glad they include all the scenes in the film, rather than in extras "alternate scenes of Italian version" or something like that.

My favourite Argento films:
    Tenebrae
    Suspiria
    Phenomena
    Stendhal Syndrome

Stendhal is underrated masterpiece. I get pissed when so many people are putting it down. Not here, but usually everywhere.

9. My vote goes to Suspiria. Fantastic atmosphere, use of colors & stoy line. Plus the music makes it even MORE of a classic IMO. Its one of my MUST sees this Halloween season. Unlike most, I also immensely N-joyed its "sequal" Inferno.

On the other hand, I found myself not N-joying Profundo Russo aka Deep red as much. My 1st viewing was the AB director cut & I found it to be a tad long & drawn out (particularly with the added scenes in Italian back in). Again, that's just me!

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I would like to see the 90 minute cut of DEEP RED, because I too thought it lagged in places. I think with a tighter narrative it would have been a much better film. Don't get me wrong, I think DEEP RED is a very solid piece of work, but not quite a classic in my opinion.

As far as my favorite Argento, of the ones I've seen I'd have to go with TENEBRE. It is easily Argento's tightest and best paced film (of the ones I've seen), and I loved some of the shots. It is very realistic though, not nearly as stylized as most of Argento's films as far as coloring and shadows go.

I thought there was more to TENEBRE than just killing bodies and pretty visuals. I found it to be an intruiging critique on the giallo film and the horror film in general, how we the viewer always associate the gaze of the killer with a man. The voice in TENEBRE is clearly feminine, yet I still thought the killer was a man. There are scenes when the characters discuss the killer, and how all possibilities should not be ruled out. So while at the same time the film IS a giallo, it too is a critique of the cliches and presumptions inherent in that type of film.

I also thought TENEBRE was a very personal work for Argento, specifically with the scene involving the woman calling Peter a promoter of violence against women. Almost all the deaths in TENEBRE as well as most Argento films are all to women, so I found the comment ironic. Argento addresses the misogyny in his films, yet inserts probably the most feminine victims one could possibly use: lesbians.

TENEBRE is a lot more than style over substance, as many argue. I got more out of this Argento flick than any of his others.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yep, TENEBRE is great, but I think you chose the wrong thread to ressurect.

12. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

There's definitely a lot more going on in Tenebre than just the surface plot and Rhett, you bring up some great points. I like to think of Peter Neal's character as a stand-in for Argento and the fact that Neal turns out
    to be the murderer
    is Argento's sly and ironic reply to criticisms of misogyny and over-the-top violence. Just think, at any time
    Dario could turn into a crazy axe-wielding maniac.
    :D

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'd say it may even be a "roll of the eyes" to everyone who's claiming violence in films influences reality, and that he is partially responsible. Come to think of it, several of the murders in TENEBRE are a bit fantastical so it could be interpreted as Dario saying "Yeah, because you know, this is definitely what will happen..."

14. Rock

Rock Member

They're both great but I gotta go with SUSPIRIA...shorter is better...

15. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

:eek1:

16. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Why?

17. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I prefer Suspiria. I found Deep Red kind of boring. Maybe I'd have liked it more if David Warbeck and Katherine MacColl were cast as the leads.:evil:

18. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I really like both movies but Suspiria has been my favorite Argento movie ever since I first saw it.It was one of my first DVD's when I started my collection :D

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I think this answer says it all where my opinion is concerned. Thanks for saving me some writing. :)

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Tenebre and Phenomena are VERY close behind Suspiria, and in a virtual tie for Argento's second best, for me anyways. All three are five star films as far as I'm concerned, and I think Phenomena is pretty underrated. Also, Jeff, I agree with everything you said about Tenebre except for the deaths of the two dykes being the best. I thought the death of the lead's ex was the best. Very gruesome, and I loved the beautiful spray of blood all over the wall.