Deep Red or Suspiria, which is the masterpiece

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by RHINO4EVR, Sep 20, 2002.

1. same with me, but it really depends what features you like most in argento-movies...

as long as I have the simonetti/goblin-music, I'm sound as a pound, but always had problems with the "supernatural" moments and too much colored light, especially in Suspiria. phenomena has the always wonderful jennifer connelly, and tenebre is an excellent classic giallo with wonderful camera work, but as far as it concerns me, my most-beloved argento would be OPERA

OPERA for me is THE ONE Argento where all his trademarks are in the right mixture, just plain magic :D

what makes Deep Red so great on the other side is the beautiful chemistry between the excellent main actors, namely hemmings and daria nicolodi. and you RARELY get an argento where the actors truly can act ;)

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

Phenomena is my 2nd fave Argento movie and Tenebre is my 3rd :D I first saw Phenomena years ago under its other title,Creepers and instantly liked it.

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Deep Red is the second best Argento Giallo imho.

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Phenomena is actually my 3rd favorite Argento, Tenebrae and Opera are 1 & 2. Phenomena would be my favorite if it wasn't for, what is in my opinion, an awful ending.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  5. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Phenomena is also my 3rd favorite Argento flick, right behind Deep Red and Suspiria.

6. I say that Suspiria is what will go down in the history books but I prefer Deep Red personally

7. satanservant

satanservant Guest

They are both masterpieces in their own right. As others have stated they are two entirely different kind of films and should be viewed as such. As for Tenebre it is my favorite of Argento's films and should also be considered a masterpiece as well.

8. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Personally I like Deep Red more.
    It was also great how Argento revealed the killer at the beginning of the film but knew your eyes would not be focused on the mirror. After watching the movie once it's so visible.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Why can't they both be masterpieces? I think it's posible for a director to have created more than one :) As to which I prefer, then it's clearly Suspiria. I spin that disc more than any other Argento, as a matter of fact.

Last time I watched Phenomena I got a new appreciation for it, but still feel it's way overated by some. Tenebrae is personally my favorite, but I'm just not happy with the current releases. AB's disc needs a revamp.