Deep Red overrated?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by zombi3, Nov 21, 2002.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Not a bad film, but I certainly don't think it's one of Argento's best. It's got some nice shots and a couple of decent murders. I keep hearing this movie described as a "classic". Personally I found it very boring and as far as Dario's giallo films go, I think Tenebre and Opera are much better. I also found the Deep Red score to be one of Goblin's weaker soundtracks. Any other opinions?

2. Ralph Mouth

Ralph Mouth Guest

I think its a pretty good murder mystery...it has some very good moments, I don't think I was bored by it. I agree its not his best, that honour goes to "Suspiria". I thought "Opera" was pretty shite, despite a couple of decent scenes. As for "Tenebrae". The music in that one is amazing. I find its one of the most frequent discs I slot in the machine and flick through because of the sound track and some excellent set pieces. The final 15m are superb. I get more satisfaction flicking through that one than watching it as a whole, where as I get more satisfaction out of watching "Deep Red" as a whole rather than flicking through it. Weird! Ta ta.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2002
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If anything, it's underrated. It's just such a well-told tale. OK, it may not be the fastest-paced movie ever made, but I think it tells a complete story. The slow pace of it even helps a bit. It's one of those movies that just sucks you in for two hours and holds you right where you are until it's over. Even if there is not a lot of action, the two hours fly by. I think of Rosemary's Baby the exact same way.

Ralph brings up some good points too. Tenebrae has some incredible scenes, but the story is a real mess (even for Argento). Deep Red is appreciated as a whole, but Tenebrae is the sum of it's parts.

4. Plus, bear in mind, the AB discs threw in all that plodding TV version material, which really doesn't help.

5. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

"Profondo Rosso" is my favorite Argento film, in the shorter 100 minute version anyway. I can see where the 126 minute version can be boring, it's even boring to me. The shorter cut just zips along at lightning pace. As for the score, it's nothing short of genius especially when remixed to 5.1. :)

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Maybe that's it. I'd never seen Deep Red before I got the 126 minute AB disc. There's way too much dialogue in that version. I still haven't seen the shorter cut. Anyway, I don't think the movie sucked or anything. I just think it's not one of Dario's best. Then again, I like his Phantom of the Opera so what the hell do I know? :rolleyes:

7. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

its definitally not his best and not even one of the best giallos imho, but its still a great flick

8. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I think if you looked up the term "giallo" in a film dictionary, you'd see a screenshot of "Profondo Rosso". That's how good the film is. :)

9. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

I pity the fool that doesn't like "Deep Red"!

sorry just read that jokey link with the Mr. T stuff...anyway I'm no giallo expert, but certainly a fan and "Deep Red" is both the finest giallo I've seen and Argento's best film IMHO. I love the Goblin score and feel it complements the film perfectly - I also feel that Argento has not bettered the style and camerawork of this film - though "Bird with the Crystal Plumage" comes close...

10. In my humble opinion . . . Profondo Rosso is the yardstick by which all other giallos should be measured!
    In any version - and I prefer the long version, but it's a pity that the additional scenes were never dubbed into English!
    What a shame my fucking Anchor Bay disc fucks-up at around the 100 minute mark!

That's it - I'll have to watch it tonight!

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The switching between Italian and English is annoying, which is why I watch it in Italian. I prefer the long version but it would be nice if the disc was able to play the short version to please the "I hate drawn out characters" crowd.

I'll bet that AB will eventually release a two disc set of this. They should have done that in the first place since <B>Deep Red</B> is such a highly regarded film. Hey AB, can you hear it? CHA-CHING!!!

12. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Hey Magnum, what type of player are you using? Is it a Panasonic? Just curious because I had a problem with that disc an my Panasonic, but it's fine on my Sony. I also read somewhere that Panasonic has problems with discs that run more than 2 hours.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

See, I just don't think this movie was meant to "zip along" at a faster pace. The title itself indicates that. The movie is SUPPOSED to be "Deep" (or Profundo).

The shorter cut may get to the "good parts" faster, but it really leaves the character of Marc Daley to be a mystery. The longer version gives you insight as to just who he is, how he acts and thinks, and most importantly, why finding the killer is so important to him.

One reason I enjoy Giallo films is that they're not simple slashers. There is reason and motive behind both the killer and the protagonist(s). I think Deep Red provides the best example of this, and one reason for it is the length. See, Tenebrae reminds me more of the typical slasher film of the time. Even though Argento adds some elements to make it more interesting and deep, it's not enough in my book. It's really just an excuse to put a lot of good bloody axe murders on screen (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's a good film, but not the deep character study that Deep Red is.

It should be noted that almost all of the cuts in Deep Red are in the beginning half of the film. I 100% feel that those cuts were made to try to get to the "good stuff", I.E., the final murders and the spooky house investigation. It "americanizes" the film way too much to me.

Deep Red is easily in my top 2 or 3 Argento films, and you'll never convince me that shortening it would improve it.

14. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Well, I love Deep Red. Whenever I watch this film it's fresh and exciting. Wonderful visuals, great plot, David Hemmings...who could ask for more?

Deep Red was my first Argento experience and it remains, for me, his ultimate giallo.

15. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I'm not a huge Euro-fan, but I like Deep Red near the top of the Argentos I've seen (including Suspiria, Opera, Tenebrae, Phenomena, and more) because of the plot and mystery - many of Argento's films seem to me to be an exercise in style and thrills (nothing wrong with that, mind you) at the expense of story.

But Deep Red to me has a story worth following and characters worth caring about, and that's what separates it from a film like Opera, in my opinion.

But it is a bit slower, so I can see that boring some folks, but I'm inclined to agree with Paff.

16. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

As a suspense/thriller film, Deep Red is fantastic. There are many sequences that are brilliantly shot and staged. But the interplay between Hemmings and Daria is not as witty or clever as it's supposed to be and does make the film drag. That arm-wrestling scene is really corny. I believe that's the material that was cut for the shorter version.

Although I slightly prefer Deep Red as a film, I personally find Tenebre to be Argento's most interesting and "deep" work. The plot fits together perfectly but what really makes the film great is Peter Neal's character. I see him as a stand-in for Argento and that enables Dario to bring up all sorts of topics like censorship, the relationship between real and screen violence, artistic creativity and madness. And the look of the film is an interesting contrast to "Deep Red".

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Deep Red is a great movie. I didn't think I would like it when I first got it, but I found it to be quite an interesting film. One of my favourite Argento flicks. Gotta dig that Lullaby tune!! Damn, that thing stays in your head for days and days!

cheers!!!
    :) :) :) :)

Nick

18. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

:D ALL I HAVE TO SAY "DEEP RED" IS WHERE IT'S AT

ENOUGH SAID

19. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I disagree with this. "Profondo Rosso" works better with swift pacing and I don't buy into the title indicating anything to do with pacing. I actually think the title signifies the "deep red" color of blood as opposed to having any psychological meaning but maybe there is no right or wrong with that topic as you read into it waht you will. I don't know about anyone else, but having seen the shorter cut umpteen times before AB released the long version, it was quite clear to me what Marc's character was all about, how he acts and why finding the killer is important. It also fleshed out the gianna character for me as well as carlo and Marta. The only thing that seems to be missing, for lack of a better word, in the shorter version is the boring and unfunny "romantic" dialogue and blabbering between Marc and Gianna. :)

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Deep Red is okay - but Tenebrae beats it in every regard. I have only sen the longer cut - and it drags out something horrid. The "relationship" between the two leads is really really bad. Thay have NO chemistry at all. They should have offered both the long and the short cut on the DVD.