Deep Red overrated?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by zombi3, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

But Deep Red is commonly cited as the film in which Argento established his visual flare. None of the animal trilogy films (Bird With the Crystal Plummage, Cat O'Nine Tails, Four Flies on Grey Velvet) had the rich baroque photography that made Deep Red, Suspiria and Inferno so special. Bird With the Crystal Plummage stands out in my mind as a very "white" looking film, although I love it anyway.

2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Deep Red was the first Argtento movie i saw and its my fav:banana: :banana:

3. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I would rather watch Tenebre or Opera for sheer entertainment, too, but Deep Red has such great visceral moments--violence you can really feel as you watch.

I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record with my past Argento posts here on this site, but one should never judge an Argento film until he's seen it at least three times. The clumsy relationship dialogue in Deep Red isn't as painful, and the giallo elements come across as much more poignant on subsequent viewings.

4. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

"Breathless pace", I'm sorry, but that really sounds awful to me, makes me glad I haven't seen the shorter version. I love the fact that this movie takes its time, that it takes forever to get to the bottom of things, and that it sucks you in like Paff said. This is indeed one of Argento's very best, second only to "Suspiria" - and CONT (!). Is the whole of Hemmings' night time investigation of the spooky house intact or is it cut in the shorter version ?. I would imagine something like that might be considered boring by some, but that long sequence is my favorite part of the movie. I used to think some of the fascination US fans hold for Euro horror (beside the gore) was the different structure of the films opposed to the often more faster paced American films. -The opposites attract kinda thing, but some seem to prefer the shorter version. I would never watch "Unsane" and "Creepers" either. What was the name of that Guns & Roses song again - "Patience". :sleepy: ;)

5. Deep Red was the 3rd Argento movie that I have ever seen. The first being Suspiria, and then Bird With The Crystal Plumage.

Deep Red has always been a favorite of mine. Interesting story, some brutal violence, one of my all time favorite soundtracks by Goblin... I will stop before I get carried away.

I have seen the American cut on video perhaps 8 or 9 times, and it is always good with repeat viewings. I do have to admit however, that I still have not seen the DVD with the longer cut.

I have seen the Japanese cut, and the cut from England. I would say that the American cut is still my favorite, most likely because I saw it first and therefore I hold it more dearly than the other versions.

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Wasn't the old American version Pan & Scan? That alone would ruin the film for me, as I find its nice scope photography to be a definite strong point.

7. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest