Diary Of The Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by Wez4555, Nov 3, 2006.

1. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

My first thought is "Oh geeze... Blair Zombie Project"

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I saw this last night--ended up having to open a Blockbuster account just to rent it.

My expectations were pretty low, but it still wasn't that good. Weakest characters he's ever had in a movie. Everything was predictiable, no surprises, just stale. The low budget really showed, whereas in his heyday he was always able to make a movie look better than its budget. Here I think it seemed more low budget than it actually was.

Effects were okay, but that doesn't save it. I liked the Amish guy, and the outpost people. It seemed like the incidential characters were more interesting than the protagonists and their quest.

Worst of the series, definitely.

3. uradouche

uradouche New Member

Saw this last week - sucked big donkey... Really bad writing, acting, direction... wow. Romero has completely lost it. Even more so than Argento. This coming from someone who's favorite movie of all time is Dawn of the Dead. At the end, my wife and I looked at each other and said, "what the fuck was that?"
    It's not about budget. Clerks was made for like $52,000. It's about writing and direction and acting. That's it. You can make a pretty decent movie for $200. If you have talent.
    Hang it up, Romero. I'm going to Fantasia Fest to see someone new and better than you. Probably will be French. :)

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I actually liked it for what it was. I pretty much knew what to expect, and as I said, it was what it was.

5. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

That's harsh...he should definitely give up on the zombies for a while, if not forever, but i still think he has another great film or two up his sleeve.

Give us another Quality non zombie film like Martin George!!!

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

I liked Land of the Dead though not as much as the earlier Dead movies.

I enjoyed Diary of The Dead but it well could have been a bit better and at times the really was annoyed at the voice overs. It had the feeling of being rushed together with things not being fully thought out and then attempts to tie some of the loose ends with Voice Overs.

But overall I still enjoyed it.

I also like the Dawn remake as well as the Night Remake from the 90's. the Day Of the Dead two movie kind of sucked major ASS.

Max

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    MC, where have you been hiding?? Haven't seen you around in ages!!

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Been busy finishing up my feature film, things have been slowing down finally. Thought I'd see if anybody noticed. :)

9. puddytay

puddytay Guest

Movie was a huge piece of crap. It felt like a movie some friends would make in college. The acting was special. Yeah I'll leave it at that. It was very special. Special in a special Olympics kind of way. Script was pure crap. This movie will give people ADD. Seriously nobody should watch this. I would give it a 1 out of 10. Seriously it was BAD! BAD BAD BAD.
    I think this might be the worst movie I've watched in a couple of years and I saw Juno. Yes people this is worse than Juno.

10. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I saw the film on dvd tonight, thought some of the killing was done well, some of it felt creepy. But like others, the characters could of been better.

I liked having Ving Rhames in the Dawn of the Dead remake, and Tony Todd in the Night of the living dead remake, good actors/actresses can boost a film's impact as much as anything else.

Imagine Pacino in a Zombie film lol.

11. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

If Pacino was ever in a zombie film, I doubt he'd give it 100%. Just look at Dennis Hopper in Land of the Dead. While I liked Dennis Hopper in Land, I felt his performance wasn't up to par with his previous work at all.

12. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Perhaps we need someone we can laugh at, like David Hasselloff.

THE HOFF.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched this last night, and even with microscopic expectations, it was a huge letdown. (Much moreso than Mother of Tears which also missed the mark but had far more positives)

I haven't gone through all 11 pages here, but I don't think this has been brought up: One of the things that makes the first three Romero dead films so much better than typical zombie or even horror films is the infighting amongst the protagonists. In all three movies (it's been a while since I had my only viewing of Land so I forget if it's in there too), the zombies are not really the main focus of the story. Instead, they provide an outside motivation that once the group dynamic breaks down, will eventually take over. This also helps with the "slow zombie vs. fast zombie" argument, as a solid group will always win against slow zombies. But if the group can't get along, even the slow zombies will win. That's why Romero's zombie films work.

But other than the cameraman and his girlfriend arguing over whether or not to keep taping, everyone pretty much gets along. The lack of any real internal conflict made for a boring group dynamic, and Romero should be ashamed for that. He's done better.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Even though I enjoy Diary of the Dead, I completely agree with you here. The plot synopsis for the zombie film he's working on right now seems like it might bring back some of the fighting and breaking down of the group dynamic.

15. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Romero's films have always been about the symbolic weight of the zombies, thematic subtext like consumerism in Dawn of the Dead, social class in Land of the Dead, politics (i.e. scientific exploration vs military protection), etc. Diary of the Dead almost to a fault overdoes it's emphasis on media and entertainment without using ingroup fighting.

I sure hope zombie movies don't start getting too formulaic :eek:

Sure Diary is a weak entry in the series but there haven't been many contemporary movies hailed as classics (yet). I don't think Diary gets the credit it deserves.
    \

16. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Romero's films have always been about the symbolic weight of the zombies, thematic subtext like consumerism in Dawn of the Dead, social class in Land of the Dead, politics (i.e. scientific exploration vs military protection), etc. Diary of the Dead almost to a fault overdoes it's emphasis on media and entertainment without using ingroup fighting.

Gee.. I sure hope zombie movies don't start getting too formulaic :eek:

Sure Diary is a weak entry in the series but there haven't been many contemporary movies hailed as classics (yet). I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

17. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Hated it when i first saw it in theatres, i bought the DVD just because i'm a completist...hated it again when i watched the DVD.

I wasn't crazy about Land at first, but eventually i came around to it. Don't think that's gonna happen with Diary though....shame.:(

Redeem yourself Romero!! I know you can do better.

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

This thread should be lobotomized along with this movie. :D

19. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I enjoyed the movie. Saw it in the theatre and I have the DVD. Absolutely was not as good as the Night, Dawn or Day, but I thought it was better than Land.

As far as the "conflict" going on that is characteristic of the series, I think that was more with the other groups of people the main characters came into contact with. They had to win the trust of the group of well-armed black soldiers (who took over after "everyone without a sun tan left") and were robbed by a group of real soldiers whom they thought were going to help them. I thought that made for an interesting dichotomy.

But then again, that's just my take.

20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I agree Paff. Both Land and Diary of the Dead really suck! I realize that Romero made some good films in the past but outside of the first three films in the dead series, I've never been impressed with Romero's work. I just don't see what all of the hype is about. The remake of Dawn and films like 28 Days/Weeks Later are much better films than Land or Diary. IMO, I could care less if zombies are fast or slow. I actually enjoy both, and I thought the fast zombie idea was a refreshing change. That's the problem with Land and Diary. There is nothing refreshing about them. As for the infighting, you hit it on the head. The ability of the characters to act, or better yet, interact with one another allowed the first three films to progress nicely and you never felt bored because you believed in the characters. Land and Diary are examples of plain lousy filmmaking.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009