Did anyone buy the Lugosi or Hammer Collection?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Sep 9, 2005.

1. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

The Hammer mofo's $20 at Fry's... playback compatability concerns as of yet not quite put to rest, I still could not resist.

Still need to pick up on the Lugosi set. Hittin' Border's tomorrow with a coupon.

2. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I have both sets, just need to find time to watch them all! All the movies are short...so I will hopefully get through at least one of them this week.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Watched PARANOIAC last night. No problems. What a beautiful looking movie! A bit thin on the plot though... Still, it has atmosphere. If Universal had sold this movie separately, I would have come to the conclusion that it was still a movie worth owning.

4. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Just started watching the Hammer horror collection. I have had no problems with the evil of frankenstein as reported

5. Roo

Roo Member

I've only gone through disk 1 and PARANOIAC was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed Oliver Reed's character, great humanitarian. :lol:

6. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I finished both sets and had no problems at all with the disks.I was glad to finally catch up with Paranoiac and Nightmare,both movies I have never seen before.My only complaint is I wish Universal would have released a few of these on single disk.Maybe down the road they will do some in special editions.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I watched 7 of the movies on a newer player and had no problems. I watched EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN on my five year old player and experienced minor glitches. Conclusion: It's a keeper.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nobody has encountered any defective discs then? It looked like a couple of the reviews on Amazon stated that Universal hasn't corrected their DVD-18 manufacturing flaws. I was going to buy the Hammer set for $19.99 at Hastings the other night, but I really dread going through 3 sets (like Buck Rogers) before getting one that actually works fine. :(

9. SamuraiNut

SamuraiNut Guest

All 7 movies played fine, I saved Curse of The Werewolf for last. Froze up at the 44 minute mark. Borders have no more in stock either. :mad:

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

If you don't have time to watch all the movies right away, can you just fast forward through them and if the glitch is there, the DVD player will stop forwarding it? I know this is the case with scratched discs and I can't see myself getting past 3 of the Hammer movies and maybe 1 of the Lugosi ones in the near future.

11. Katatonia

That usually works for me, if a disc is scratched up too bad, it'll just lock up or skip to another part of the movie.

Or you can pop them in your DVD-ROM drive and run a program like DVDInfoPro to check the disc contents. That doesn't mean it'll play flawlessly on any brand of player, but it's a good indication that nothing is wrong with the disc.

Goddamn Universal, now I am really hesitant about getting this one. You'd think they would correct their DVD-18 manufacturing flaws after fiascos like the Buck Rogers set had a heavy percentage of defective units.

12. old-boo-radley

I couldn't fight the urge and had to order it, but I figured I'd wait on the Lugosi set until I knew the Hammer set worked in my player. But even after 2 weeks or whatever it's been, I still don't know precisely if it's a player thing or a manufacturing flaw, but I am lead to believe it was in manufacturing.

DVDInfoPro is new to me, but my drive is fucked. Interesting, though. Of course, my Panacrapic has mega speed fast forward, so I usually get through them that way.

13. Katatonia

Oh, I'd say it's definitely maufacturing if they haven't changed the way they manufacture their DVD-18's. I had to return the Buck Rogers set TWICE (so three copies before I got an unflawed set) to get the first disc to even play in ANY of my DVD players!

I have many other stories about their DVD releases and flawed manufacturing and packaging, but won't go into them here. :) This is why I absolutely hate Universal's DVD division.

14. old-boo-radley

All of their DVDs I have have played fine, but none were DVD-18s (unless the Monster Legacy ones were).

Someone told me that she heard that just fast forwarding won't pick up the problem. Too bad we couldn't get confirmation on this from someone who has a set. I guess if I can't get a definitive answer, I'll have to watch all 8 movies in record time.

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

After getting defective copies of the Abbott and Costello Franchise collections I tend to avoid all things Universal like the black plague. Unfortunate, as I love the Frankenstein and Creature From The Black Lagoon films. :(

16. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

My Hammer set is all kinds of fucked. Minor freezing on Curse of the Werewolf...I just started Paranoiac and it seems like the problem is worse on this one...and it is happening on both of my DVD players as well as my DVD-Recorder. Damnit!

17. Katatonia

Yep, typical Universal... :fire: :fire: :fire:

18. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

A solution would be to RIP the DVD discs to your computer and back them up with X number of movies per disc.

It is not that hard to extract the movie(s) you want and re-author with a good DVD authoring program.

Can probably get 2 movies onto one standard DVD-R disc. If bought on sale or mail order you can get quality DVD-R discs for less than 50 cents each.

Of course that assums that there are no RIPPING issues with these discs but just because they have some playback trouble doesn't mean they will have RIPPING trouble.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I see that they put 2 movies per side and each side is dual layer so actually it would take 2 DVD-R discs to back up one side or in other words one movie per DVD-R disc. Still a cheap and possible "solution".

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I got the Hammer collection. The quality is pretty damn good and the movies are well, they're definately Hammer films. What is it about Hammer films that is so endearing any ways? For me they're comfort food. Safe little horror numbers that look absolutely beautiful. There's nothing better than sipping tea and watching some Hammer films on a Sunday afternoon. :p

20. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

I had zero problems w/ the Lugosi set. I got through the first disc of the Hammer set. Curse Of The Werewolf froze up toward the end, but only for about 10-15 seconds.