Did the Friday remake do Jason proud?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 17, 2009.

?

How was the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake?

1. Awesome. It surpassed all expectations.

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Good. A successful relaunch.

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Mediocre. Crystal Lake just ain't the same.

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Dud. Bring on Jason X2!

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Jason pwned the box office this weekend, and launching on the 13th was no doubt as superstitious a dream any horror fan could ever wish for. Did it live up to the hype? Do you hope they carry on the sequels from here? Where is Muffin?

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Did the new Friday movie do Jason proud? Fuck no, it didn't even feel like Friday the 13th. The movie was a fucking disaster.

~Matt

3. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

well, i loved it! (then again Matt thinks i love everything) Jason kicked ass, some great gore/death scenes. I think it was worth the wait. i cant wait for the extended version, and the 13th film! its not the best, but still very entertaining and a solid film

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL IT'S BECAUSE YOU DO! :lol:

I just don't get how people thought this felt like a Friday the 13th movie. It was so much like the TCM remake it was like watching its sequel. They made Jason into Leatherface.

~Matt

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Hated it.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Mediocre, almost good but not quite.

It had it's moments of good, lots of gratuitous nudity and comedy, some decent kills but I did feel cheated in that department overall.

The whole tone was wrong though. It felt forced and fake, and seeing Jason's house was weak. A fuckig hostage? Jason has never even come close to some shit like that. I kept expecting his family to come by for a diner scene.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I thought it was very entertaining, and it was exactly what I wanted out of a Friday night movie experience. The originals will always be there for me to peruse, and this remake cracked me up and brought the fun back to contemporary horror (without all the nudge-nudge, tired comedy that has bogged down plenty of recent films). It did not exceed my expectations by any means, but it was certainly good. The exuberant yet thankfully respectful theater agreed with me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What he said :)

9. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Good. A successful relaunch.

I'll never be able to figure out how people watched Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason and then call this film complete shit.

I've been a Friday the 13th fan since the mid 80's when I was in 4th grade. The first film I was able to catch in theatres was part 7. Since then I have been dreaming of a back to the basics, wilderness slasher Friday the 13th. I got that last Friday and I couldn't be more happy about it. I truly regret that everyone doesn't share my enthusiasm.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well, I'm consistent: They were all pieces of shit. Better?

Actually, having said that, I watched Friday 8 on HDNet the other day and while subjecting myself to the pain of the remake, I thought: Even Jason 8 is better than this turd. So, I'll be watching Friday 8 before this.

Prior to this past weekend I saw Jason X once, but I did buy the DVD. After watching His Name is Jason, I decided to give it another spin. You know, I'll agree with some people here that it's kind of a fun watch i you know what you're going into. So yes, Jason X is also better than the remake.

But I still dislike JGTH and I never really liked Jason v Freddy.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I liked it.

My feeling is that there is a certain nostalgic, romanticism to the old ones, which are, in reality, not very good. This was not great, but as a jumping off point, making 40 mil the first weekend, I say it was a good relaunch.

Thing is, I never expect much from these flicks so they always deliver. This wasn't great (i.e. no 2, 4, or 7) but it was as good as 5, 8 and certainly better than the craptacu-fest that is 9.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah....lots of enjoyment to be had in this one. pretty much agree with ekent.

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I liked it. It's not the best, but it's also far from the worst. I'd put in the top half of the series.

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I hope to see this in the coming days.

15. MrVess

MrVess Guest

If you take the trash era of "Friday", starting with "New Blood" and ending with "Freddy vs Jason", then this could be considered a somewhat fitting followup - a volume of garbage that came after volumes of garbage.

If you take the earlier Fridays, ending them with the pinnacle of the series and the only Friday film that's genuinely good on its own and outside the series, "Jason Lives", then there is no point in even trying to compare...

16. inkmachine

inkmachine Member

Well, I'll say this much.....I don't remember the character's names LOL but the one chick who the guy said had 'perfect nipple placement' and had the all natural boobs, totally made up for anything bad in the movie LOL

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought it was mediocre. I didn't find Jason as scary and the score was not even close to as good as I come to expect from Friday film. I didn't hate it though.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

This is exactly why I stayed away, and will continue to do so. Sure, I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD simply because I have to, but I fucking loathed the TCM retreads abd this looks/sounds like the same shit.
    :bs:

19. dolemite

dolemite New Member

After watching it I said to my buddy that at least it was better than Jason Takes Manhattan. However, after waking up still alternating between disappointed and pissed off, I think I am gonna take that back.
    The whole thing stunk of soul-less halfassery from the shaky prologue to the clever quip the sister said at the end that I still wanna throw shit at the walls when I think of.
    I grew up in the eighties, watching every movie as it came out on VHS and, later, at the movies. NEVER had I sat there waiting for the damn end so I could go home until last night.
    I am not a purist. Hell, I even liked Jason Goes to Hell. But what I saw last night was not a Friday movie.
    I'll end up picking it up when it comes out on DVD and watching it again. Maybe it will grow on me a little.
    But as I wanted to lean over and tell the high school kid whooping it up in the theatre last night (mind you, he was the only one), "Son, weed and titties does not a Friday make."

20. promnight13

promnight13 New Member

Awful - I would rather watch bad remakes of BLACK X-MAS and PROM NIGHT instead. No joke.