Did the Friday remake do Jason proud?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 17, 2009.

?

How was the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake?

1. Awesome. It surpassed all expectations.

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Good. A successful relaunch.

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Mediocre. Crystal Lake just ain't the same.

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Dud. Bring on Jason X2!

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. geeare

geeare Guest

I'm almost 40 and I loved it as well. It's very entertaining and I wish people would just get over their nostalgic reasons for LOVING the originals. I love the originals as well but I know why I love them. It's not because the acting was INCREDIBLE. It's not because the storyline was AWESOME. It's not because the characters were developed so much better. It's because it's what I grew up watching and that is pretty much it. Sure it was original back then but it's pretty hard to get original these days. This is a re-make/re-visioning after all.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Exactly! Horror fans cannot get past their nostalgia and enjoy a new movie. There is no way you can tell me this is so much worse then any Friday film that came before it. Mind you, I thought 1-7 were more enjoyable, but I wonder if that is just because of the nostalgia factor I have for them.

The characters and dialog were actually funny and not annoying, other then that one douche bag, but he was made to be like that so you would await his death. Jason was much different then before, but they had to modernize him I think, or else everyone would laugh at his cheesiness. He was smarter this time and more aggressive, and I although I hated the idea when I first heard about it, I actually enjoyed all the traps and the tunnels. It explains how he does what he does, and made him a much more realistic character. the opening with the sleeping bag, and the bear trap was pretty awesome! The only complaint I would have for the film is the kills could have been a little more creative. Don't get me wrong, there were a few decent ones, but next time I want to see much more. I'm sure they didn't go to crazy for the first film though, again, to keep it more realistic.

Anyways, I picked it was good. Didnt blow away my expectations, but it sure as hell met them, if not slightly exceeded them. The things I was most worried about didn't bother me at all, and actually made it more enjoyable. Overall I would give it an 8 out of 10, and I am happy to say Jason is back baby!

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

My main problem with it is that it just didn't FEEL like Friday the 13th. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, nothing at all. The Friday the 13th movies have a certain style to them, a certain vibe that just MAKES them Friday the 13th. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the movies were made in the '80s and fans can't look past that (it just so happened that these films were made in the '80s). No. They completely changed Jason's character to the point where he's NOT Jason. It was Leatherface with a hockey mask.

Sure it's no worse than most in the series, but Friday the 13th had this "feel" going for it that was completely gone from this one. The score: gone. The mood: gone. The movie just got so far-fetched that it becomes no different than 95% of the horror/slasher shit that comes out these days.

My point is, it's not a HORRIBLE film, but seeing as how they were making a Friday the 13th movie here, it was approached all wrong and thus...the movie ended up being a piece of crap for what it set out to do. (Okay there's the argument that it was a "reimagining" of Friday the 13th. Sorry, then it's not Friday the 13th. It's whatever stupid crap you make it out to be. What if they "re-imagined" Star Wars? It wouldn't be Star Wars, just like Nispel "re-imagined" Texas Chainsaw Massacre and fucked that one all up too.

~Matt

4. geeare

geeare Guest

I enjoyed the new TCM as well and for that matter the new Haloween. I guess I'm just a fan of horror movies and not a critic. thank god i am not a critic.

5. grodd

grodd New Member

As a huge Friday fan I thought this was far better than expected. Huge thumbs up. I want more. Best one since the first 3. Looks like the Godfather when compared to Fridays 5,8-X

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I don't know what you're talking about, as I felt the feel of the older films. Yes Jason has changed, but if they just did the exact same thing as before, then why bother. They couldn;t continue the franchise as since part 8 it has been mucked up to hell, so there only option was to remake the franchise, and in this soem changes had to be made. yes, we love the older films, but they are pretty cheesy. Show them to someone that has never seen them before and they will laugh at how bad they are. They needed to go more realistic and more aggressive, and I think in that regard they succeeded. I think the only thing it was missing from the other films was more creative kills.

And I really don't get all these comparison to the TCM remake. I wonder if it wasn't done by the same Company and Director, if it still would. I don't think so, as I don't think thye could further apart from each other. The dark and disturbing matter from that remake are not here. Like all Friday films, this was just a fun ride, where as Texas Chainsaw was trying to really disturb you. I don't think it was trying to be a fun movie. Yes, Jason has a prisoner in this film, but it wasn't done at all like it was in TMC. Jason's prisoner is barely even shown, and he sure as hell didn't torture or abuse her. Where as in TCM the scenes were quite disturbing and violent. Really, give examples how this film was like TCM at all as I don't see it one bit? As for the music, it probably could have used more of the original "Kill-Kill-Ma-Ma" tune, but what they used didn't bother me at all. And and other then a few scenes, the cutting wasn't as quick as TCM, and the cinematography was way different. This film was more more clean and bright then the dark and dirty cinematography of TCM.

Anyways, like I mentioned in the other thread, maybe a lot of you are just too old for the franchise now. If the characters in the film bugged you so much, it's probably because you don't know how teens or young adults are these days, as I thought they were hilarious, and quite real to people I know. Yes, this Friday film is different then the other films, but it has to be! A lot has changed in 20 years, and doing a film in that vein just wouldn't work for these times.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Actually the one big disappointment I had for the film was that it didn't take place at a camp grounds, with the counselors getting picked off. This film would have worked better for the second film, as now it will be hard to make it believable that they would open up a camp resort after everything happened in this film. then again, I guess they did it for part 6! :D

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Welcome to the cult of X. Some will laugh, many will give you shit, but the movie will make you smile if not just crack up completely everytime.

Try watching Jason Goes to Hell while not thinking about it being Jason at all. That movie works, it's just not a Friday the 13th film. Had they left Jason out and inserted some new killer/demon/pressence, that would be a good movie. As it is, it doesn't fit to have Jason there. This is someone else's story with Jason thrown in at the last second.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

How could you NOT see the similarities to TCM? They're as clear as fucking day. This movie had Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake stamped all over it. Jason acts and moves like Leatherface, has the same tendencies. This movie couldn't possibly be further than the feel of a Friday the 13th movie. How was it similar to TCM? It wasn't necessarily everything in the movie (the narrative), but the style and tone of the film. The cinematography was almost identical to that of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was clear and bright yes, during the daytime scenes. You could say the same for TCM. The movie starts out clean and bright but eventually gets dark.

But the movies don't need to be remade for a newer audience. I totally see what you mean that the older movies are cheesy, they always have been. But that doesn't mean they need to be remade. They remake movies today for fucking stupid reasons. "We want it to appeal to a newer audience" is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Remakes aren't all bad, but their REASONING for producing remakes is what's the dumb part.

Some remakes are legitimate. Remaking Invasion of the Body Snatchers in the '70s brought new life to the film. They added something to it (the tone of it) that they couldn't have possibly done in the '50s due to the Hollywood Production code, same went for Carpenter's The Thing in 1982. It wasn't just about modernizing the movies and making them appeal to a newer audience, it was about putting a new edge on these films, a new perspective on them that wouldn't have been possible when they were first made. Movies today are remade for all the wrong reasons. About 90% of them are worthless garbage.

~Matt

10. grodd

grodd New Member

I think your minor complaints are the same as mine. A few more creative kills and a little more KiKiKi MaMaMa, would of helped. I wish some of the old Manfredini score was used also.

11. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Loved it. Especially Jared Padalecki as Clay. OMG. I am a huge fan of Jared/Jensen, and I loved My Bloody Valentine also.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

:lol: They remade it for money, obviously! That's why they did the countless sequels as well. You don't think they did those because they had anything original to say do you? All the sequels are the first film with newer kills. That's what this one was, what's the problem? The only reason it wasn't called Friday the 13th Part 11 is because they f-ed up the franchise by setting it in the future and in space, there was no way you could continue with it. I guess they tried when he fought Freddy and just ignored part 10, but even that movie messed him up. The franchise was so tarnished that I really don't see the problem in them just restarting it, but doing it as if it's just another sequel. I wouldn't have it any other way. If you are going to complain about this being made, then you need to complain about all the sequels being made.

As for the TCM remake comparisons, I'm sorry, I just don't see it. That whole movie was a bleak, dark, disturbing, dirty affair. This movie was a fun, not to be taken too serious ride. Yes, this film had night scenes, but they were not like the TCM. That film had a dirtiness present in every frame, that I didn't see in this film. Either way, it didn't bug me at all, and I didn't once think of the TCM remake while watching this. Other then when they had the grandma from the TCM remake film in this one. I personally liked the TCM remake, so maybe that's why I enjoyed this one so much. But I think in tone, they were two complete different films. TCM made me want to shower after watching it, it disturbed me, made me cringe, this film just put a smile on my face and was happy to see Jason return to his camp grounds. Although this is a different beast then the 80s version, I think it still had that feel, and I don't think they could have done it better, unless they literally went back in time and made it in the 80s. And again, although it was before that whole torture phase Hollywood jumped on, I thought the TCm remake had aspects of that, especially with the prequel. They really set out to make people cringe in their seats with those films, especially at the diner table scene. Again, I didn't see any of that at all with this film, other then maybe the beginning with the bear trap. The rest of the film and its kills were just good old fashion fun!

As for Jason moving like Leatherface... really? Leatherface was a big sloppy buffoon, where as this Jason was smart and fast. The only similarities I saw was that they were both very menacing presences, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  13. Look's like I voted with the majority, once again, as I choose "Good. A successful relaunch" and voted.

I found this a finely acted for what it was, solid death sequences, loaded with tits & some stage blood affair that successfully re-booted this whole Jason Voorhee's mythology.

So yup, happy lad here. But please, have a lot more deaths in the sequel and some more overly gory and traditional F13th-style 'icky' deaths (loved the retro arrow-through-the-head gag in the film, I gotta say). Beyond that, I'm happy and I'll buy it on standard def DVD once it street's. Been talkin' with a good Canadian friend of mine via YouTube as of late about it, and I like it surprisingly a lot, some flaws and all.

14. geeare

geeare Guest

that's kinda what they did isn't it?

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No not at all. Friday the 13th did not need to be remade. It was made in 1980, there were no limitations put upon it the way the Hollywood Production Code put limitations upon films made from the 1930s up until the early 1960s. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) came with a whole wave of "New Hollywood" filmmaking. Yes there was always the limitation of the MPAA, but the whole tone of Friday the 13th was perfectly accepted within the realms of its era (it fell into this era with Body Snatchers). Invasion of the Body Snatchers couldn't have possibly been made in 1956 the way it was made in 1978. This version of Friday the 13th was basically every sequel combined into one film, and they radically changed the film to the point where it wasn't even Friday the 13th anymore. You have way too much going on, they tried to make it scary, and failed. The movie relies on cheap scares as opposed to suspense (which is far more effective in the long-run) and I just don't see how this movie is any different or better than all the heaps of crap that the horror genre has produced in the past 15 years. People praise this and then bash a movie like The Strangers? I don't get it. This movie was dull, I tried to like it and enjoyed the first 20 mins or so, but I actually WANTED this movie to end. I kept checking my phone to see how much time had passed.

~Matt

16. geeare

geeare Guest

well there ya go, I loved the Strangers as well so again I am happy that I am just a fan of the genre. I don't know how you guys go into movies and just sit there and do nothing but pick it apart for such rediculous reasons, haha. I'm glad I am me. Why would you even bother to goto these movies if they have all been crap for the past 15 years?

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Because occasionally you come across something great like the Dawn of the Dead remake, The Strangers or The Descent. A lot you can just judge by the trailers. For example, the Last House on the Left trailer for the remake played before Friday the 13th started, and well...I don't need to go see it to know it'll be shit.

~Matt

18. geeare

geeare Guest

haha, i really never cared the original anyway therefor i am not real interested in this remake. there was something about it that i just didn't like. Not saying it was total crap tho as some people have said about F13 remake. It's not total crap, it's just that I don't like it.

19. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Agree with all these points, although the kills were uninspired. Still, the pretitle sequence grabbed me and the acting was decent for a 13th film. Best one since part 7, but still rates mediocre for me.

20. Stige

Stige Active Member

dud!

the one thing that sealed its fate with me was just so NOT a Jason thing to do that I didn't even feel like it was a Friday ........ I'm sure everyone knows what I am talking about