Did the Friday remake do Jason proud?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 17, 2009.

?

How was the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake?

1. Awesome. It surpassed all expectations.

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Good. A successful relaunch.

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Mediocre. Crystal Lake just ain't the same.

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Dud. Bring on Jason X2!

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

I really liked this remake.

I thought that everything they added (new) enhanced Jason's character.

8/10 :glasses:

2. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Agreed 100%!

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I liked the kills. I liked Jason. I liked the nudity (well the fake boobs were ugh! but the rest was cool). I hated the whole storyline with the sister/mother/captive. The other thing that really bugged me for some reason was when Jason turned on the spotlights to search and the wire across the path with the bells...made Jason seem more like a hunter than....Jason. But fuck I really hated the captive sister angle. Every time she was on screen I was rolling my eyes in disgust. Take that out and just have a straight up hack n slash and it would've been a decent F13 movie. Not the best but decent.

I didn't hate it and I'll prob buy the DVD (which another version...hopefully better), but it took some real potential and tossed it out the window because they felt they needed to have someone tied up to make it scary.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I agree about not really liking the kidnapping angle, but at least it makes sense. If Jason confused a woman with his mother it seems like a logical thing for him to do.

5. Spit

Spit Active Member

I thought most of the boobs in the movie were real, who's do u think were fake? I have my doubts about the water skiing chick...but the ones on the girl with 'perfect nipple placement' looked all natural to me.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Oh I agree it made a certain amount of sense (though why is he chaining up his mom?). I just found the movie ground to a halt every time there was a scene dealing with that angle of the story and quite honestly it didn't really matter to the "plot" of the movie. Maybe if they'd expanded it rather than occasionally showing her chained up and a lame bit at the end...then it might have been a worthwhile addition to the story. This just seemed like a half-assed attempt to draw a parallel to the original movies.

Yet another movie featuring a woman chained up in some dingy room with "scary" crap on the walls? Wow, how terrifying(ly cliched).

The first girl (with the party looking for the weed) looked totally fake and there was another, maybe the blond, I don't remember, but I remember that there were at least a couple that looked so phony.

7. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Ok... I just saw it, and I really enjoyed it.

People hated the music. I loved it. It had a Carpenteresque quality. I love the original scores too, but this wasn't a terrible listen by a long shot (plus it had the original "ki,ki,ki,ma,ma,ma").

People didn't like the kills. I thought they WERE a little tame compared to the films 80's counterparts, but there were some really good ones.

The sleeping bag roast (ala. Rituals)

The dock kill+ boat kill

cop kill

Tow truck kill etc.

Jason is much more like he was in 2 and 3. He is smart, runs, and loves his mommy. The kidnapping thing WAS plausible. Remember the end of part 2? He was tricked into thinking the heroine was his mom and that happened towards the end. Who says he wouldn't keep her? It made sense to me.

The film could have had a few more homages to the original four (and I say four because the sister brother thing was ripped right from final chapter), however, certain set pieces do have vibes of the sequels. The cabin felt like the one in three and Jason had his potato sack etc.

The film also has elements of other backwoods slashers, namely Rituals.
    I know the kill was redone, but Jason now has characteristics of that crazy vet.

The ending was stupid with Jason coming up with his mask back on, but at the same time, that was cool too.

The only thing that was really far fetched was the underground thing, but with suspension of disbelief, it was a cool idea.

I enjoyed it and it felt like a Friday, especially with such a beautiful location.

I know this is a half assed review, but I'm kind of busy. I just wanted to get my thoughts out while they were still fresh. Maybe I'll elaborate more on the film later.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This didn't bother me at all. In fact, I thought it was in line with the usual implausible last minute jump endings of the first three. Campy and absurd, just the way I like my Jason.

9. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

I loved the jump, but I wanted him to be without the mask.

10. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I actually thought the music wasn't bad. That was another one of the (few) positives for me. The chase scene through the woods in the beginning definitely reminded me of something John Carpenter might do and I liked it.

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Good. A successful relaunch.

12. dapigg

dapigg Member

I used my $5 off movie money from the His Name Was Jason DVD and saw this on Friday the 13th. It was fun but nowhere as mean and nasty as the TCM remakes or the Rob Zombie Halloween remake. Funny thing is I still find watching the trailer on TV to be more frightening than the movie itself.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well they said from the beginning that this wasn't going to be a nasty and disturbing movie like the Texas Chainsaw remakes. They set out to make a really fun slasher movie, and in that I think they succeeded. I actually have been dying to see this again, but I think I'll just wait until it hits DVD/ Blu Ray as there are lots of other movies coming out that I want to see. That and the wait will make me want to see it that much more again.

Oh, and I'm glad to see most on here can still enjoy a good slasher film! Can't believe how many people are analyzing this like it's Citizen Kane.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

But that's the thing. It really wasn't just a good slasher film, it was mediocre at best and I'm starting to think that the only reason people seemed to like it is because it had Jason in it. I mean sure it's better than parts 8, 9 and 10, but that still isn't saying much. I don't see how it was so much "fun". I was bored to death, actually wanted it to end. I kept looking at my watch. I enjoyed The Strangers and The Descent MUCH more. (Hell, I even liked the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake more than this.) People just didn't like it. Some people did, some people didn't. It wasn't a very good movie, though. Even for a slasher.

LOL Citizen Kane...

~Matt

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah but how many slasher films are actually GOOD films? How many Friday films are actually GOOD films? A lot of them are enjoyable, but I wouldn't consider them GOOD films. This remake was just the same. And I'm sorry you were bored, but I wasn't at all. I liked all the characters and thought they were funny thanks to the hilarious and realistic dialog. Trust me, people like that do exist. The black guy reminded me so much of one of my good friends. The characters were good enough that it could have worked as a teen sex flick if they wanted to go that route. The kills, although they could have been more creative were all pretty good. But most importantly it had a nice steady pace which kept me entertained throughout and never stopping to look at my watch. it's a Friday movie dammit, what more do you want!?

And exactly it is far from Citizen Kane, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath, but it seems like a lot of people on here are analyzing it as such. If people went back and analyzed the franchise like they are with this film I'm sure there would be so much to complain about as well. Like Grim mentioned, look at part 2 , Jason (Which doesn't even make sense considering he was a child months ago) comes to the city and kills the Alice in her house. Like are you kidding me!? Part 7 stars Carrie who beats him up by making lamps fly at him! Part 8 he goes to Manhattan for gods sake and walks through the downtown streets! The list could go on and on, and yet people complain because he has lights!?

It's obvious you can't please everyone and their nostalgia, but like I mentioned before, I'm glad some people can look past that and enjoy it for what it was, yes, a good slasher film. There is no way you can go watch all the cheesy 80s slashers and say this is any worse unless you are letting your nostalgia come into play. I'm betting people that haven't seen too many slasher films would agree. Actually my girlfriend is a good example of this, she hasn't seen that many slasher films, and enjoyed it for what it was, and thought it was no better or worse then the rest of them.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well, no Jason wasn't just a kid a few months before part 2. Jason was a kid in 1958. Friday the 13th takes place over 20 years later, so Jason was definitely an adult by the time Friday the 13th came along, we were all just under the impression that he was dead. Him tracking Alice down is completely realistic. Maybe he followed her? We don't know where she lives, and by the looks of it, it looks as if she lives somewhere close to Crystal Lake. It's not as far out of left field as the whole hostage thing in the remake, which tries to be so much more than it actually is. Friday the 13th was simple, Friday the 13th the remake was simple, but STRIVED to be more complex, and failed horribly. The only thing I found really unrealistic about Part 2 is what did Jason live off of when he lived in the woods?

The remake was stupid. Like, all these murders happen and all the townsfolk know about the murders, but nobody does anything about it? They searched for the kids bodies but never noticed that big fuckin house in the middle of the campgrounds at Camp Crystal Lake?? WTF? Sure the original Friday movies were cheesy, but they were meant to be that way. This was a movie with a stupid concept that TRIED to be serious. I don't know how people don't see this as an almost direct clone of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It has IDENTICAL cinematography, exact same production values. Sure Texas Chainsaw was more gritty in CONTENT, but not in TONE. These two films had the exact same tone and this movie took itself WAY too seriously for a Friday the 13th movie.

Friday the 13th Parts 7 and 8 are fucking crap. They've always been crappy and stupid, even for Friday the 13th movies. Every Friday movie made after part 6 has been stupid as shit. Totally out of left field. But even so, these films still didn't take themselves as seriously as the remake took itself. There's a certain amout of dark humor to almost every Friday movie that wasn't present in the remake. It has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia.

~Matt

17. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

The Texas Re-make gets a bad rap, but it was enjoyable in its own right. Descent was also decent, but LOL at the Strangers!

:lol:

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

What's so funny about The Strangers?

~Matt

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I really hate to dissect your post this way, Matt, BUT...... :p

All of the townsfolk didn't know about the murders, only that crazy lady, who was merely an updating of the Ralph character from the original. She obviously knew about Jason (or thought she did) but everybody else treated him as a ghost story.

They probably searched the camp and noticed the house, but just didn't think to check underneath it. Jason has lived in the woods undetected for 28 years so he's likely smart enough to know when to cover his tracks and to clean up after his kills.

Again, gotta disagree with you,here. The original movies are cheesy because they're now considered dated. Back in the day they were meant to be completely serious and scary.

You saw a different film than I did. There's a lot of humor to be found in this "remake": a lot more than I could find any of Parts 1, 2 and 4. It's simply the first FRIDAY in nearly 25 years that didn't have goofy over the top kills like punching people's head off or breaking a bed and sandwiching them in half. Really, Matt. When it comes out on DVD, please watch it again. You may still end up not liking the movie, but I swear you're dead wrong about there being a lack of humor!

Oh, and btw: I HATED the TCM remake. Hated? That actually isn't a strong enough word for how I feel about it!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah but at teh ending of part 1 he is a boy when he pulls her in the water.

I don;t think it was meant to be taken as serious as you assume it was. It sounds like from the beginning they just set out to make a fun movie, at least that was the impression I got from a lot of the early interviews. They didn't want this movie to be taken seriously at all, just a faun t and a flick with some good kills.

There no thing showing the whole town knows about the murders other then the crazy old lady, which was just a crazy old lady like the crazy old dude from the beginning of part 1.