Did the Friday remake do Jason proud?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 17, 2009.

?

How was the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake?

1. Awesome. It surpassed all expectations.

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Good. A successful relaunch.

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Mediocre. Crystal Lake just ain't the same.

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Dud. Bring on Jason X2!

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That's some fuckin' toxic sperm then, Jesus Christ. :sperm: :nervous:

~Matt

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Need I say more?

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...Crazy Ralph eh?

[​IMG]

Too retarded for camp?

~Matt

4. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

it thought it sucked ass...sorry, but it's true. I'd elaborate but Matt89 pretty much already summed it all up...fucking joke of a film......

5. dolemite

dolemite New Member

A guy was talking to tried to justify his liking of this movie with how much money it has made.
    I told him Hitler was pretty popular in Germany for awhile, doesn't make him less of an asshole.
    I know a lot of us prob take this shit too seriously, but when you love something you get protective of it.
    I mean, if they remade the Star Wars movies and after Darth Vader tells Luke he is his father then goes, "Nah, I'm just fuckin' with ya." you'd have geek suicide bombers.
    We just wanna bitch for awhile.
    At least until the NOES remake.

6. maybrick

I rewatched the first two Fridays this week and I hate to say it, but they're REALLY fucking boring! No matter how much I try, I fall asleep by the ending. This wasn't the first time that has happened to me either as it has happened EVERY time I've tried to watch them for the last 5 years. Maybe I've seen them too many times in my life.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Of course... It's not like everyone didn't know beforehand that this movie was going to be shit. Marcus Nispel directed it. I already said several months before that the guy can't direct a film to save his life. And, again: Platinum Dunes. "Here we are again." 6 years ago, we had the Texas Chainsaw Massacre disaster. I almost feel like people weren't paying attention. You can't divorce the filmmaker from the film. Nispel needs to go back to directing No Doubt videos and stay out of horror. Not that, of course, he ever really stood out from the pool of dipshits that are called "directors" in the horror genre today.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

:lol: It's funny, because the last 5 threads I have looked at have been you complaining about some film and how you hate it. Holy negativity Batman!

9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It's sad - had my nephew watch the first one for the first time over Christmas and at the end he was like, "that's it?"

I'll skip to part 4 next. Give the kid what he wants.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

And that's what horror is about today, slowly dismantling everything that was great (or even remotely entertaining) about horror from decades prior.

Eh, it's worth a shot. Something tells me though that I wouldn't be able to be in the same room as this kid without strangling him to death.

If you're this fascinated with my life - you must really be bored with yours.

Also, the hopping-purple smiley is reeeeeally played out.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm sure the feeling would be mutual.

I'm not fascinated with your life, me like everyone else on here just like to read up on horror movies and find out what's good or not, instead every thread consists of you bitching about how you hate this and that. We get it, you don't like current horror films or remakes (Even though it sounds like you haven't seen half of them you bitch about), doesn't mean you need to come into every thread and say the same thing over and over again. Actually, for that matter, it doesn't sound like you like much in the way of horror films, except crap like Deadly Friend and Arachnophobia, that you then have the nerve to say we are idiots if we don't feel the same as you. Either way I'm not going to waste time arguing with you, as it's rather silly to have a computer fight haha, but it seems to me like you have some personal issues that you need to resolve instead of coming on here every 10 mins. to release your anger.

Oh, and no one cares about your thoughts on the hopping smiley face, look you even have to insult him with your negativity!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  12. maybrick

If that's true for today then it was also true 20 years ago (and 20 years before that, and 20 years before that). There's absolutely nothing "new" about people shitting upon something simply for being old.

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

End of the day if someone else doesnt like it I could care less, I loved it and I am looking forward to the sequel.

It just seems that on here people just hate remakes for the sakes of it whether they're good or not, pretty sad really.

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Was that really necessary? Saying you'd want to strangle my nephew just because a 30 year old movie didn't do it for him?

Dude, I've been a defender of yours but that is kind of a really wierd thing to say and kind of offensive to me.

I think I am going to hang out in threads a little less intense.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  15. DVD-fanatic-9

That's immaterial. It's played-out. That's a fact. Start a MySpace Fan Club for it if you need to make-love with it so badly.

I'm really worried about offending an animated-GIF file image.

I'm a slave to honestly. Clearly, I shouldn't have said that if it bothered you so much. But honestly- I'm not sorry I did. So, long as we can both cope somehow with this turn of events... I think we'll survive.

Somehow

...someway.

16. maybrick

"Honesty" doesn't entail having to blurt out every single half-formed thought you make. Why don't you try to have a little respect for others for once. That's all that anybody here is asking of you.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

PREPARE FOR MAJOR OFF-TOPIC-NESS!

Excellent Point, MB. And made so well, I can't argue with it. :D

I'll just say, we know the difference between the 80's and the 50's, 40's, 30's. That difference did not inhibit the 80's from producing several amazing horror films. Outright masterpieces. Several. The difference between the 80's and this decade is much more apparent to me. I've been paying attention. I can't say that anyone else is. At all.

I think, in fact, You All had my current reaction to this decade, 10-15 years ago: to the 1990's. I was a kid then. I was just learning what horror was. I was freshly getting it all into my system and it all kind of mixed together. Never did I have the attitude with which you guys approached the 90's ever while I was watching the horror of the 90's. I had as much respect for the previous decades as I had to the 90's. And even if I saw a movie that didn't impress me - I treated it with respect. I wasn't some snot-nosed fucking punk that talked shit about Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, The Exorcist, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and so on, just because I didn't love them immediately. I know that my tastes, and most other people's, are very fine and not always inclusive of everything I see that gets hyped or whatever. (However, when dealing with Ghost Horror - disregard that statement. I have a consistent and outright bias against 99% of all ghost horror films)

Obviously, this isn't just about Some Guy's Nephew anymore. This is about all the fucking little punks who are being raised on remakes right now. And the whole style-LESS style (Technique is more appropriate) of today's horror. All conformist. All looks and feels the same. How can anyone argue with that. It's the fucking God's Honest Truth. Everyone knows, the filmmakers are afraid to make it look and feel unique. Anyway - I know this leading into the same old routine I go on. But, I hope with this post I can at least set a precedence for anyone who might read it. And anyone who might see that this is a genuine effort to not slam anyone outright. I hope you guys can appreciate that. Because if I get a bunch of fucking prick responses like I got in the whole Cannibal Holocaust thing, whoever does: you know where you can shove it.

Besides - hasn't it occured to anyone that all these films coming out now should do as other horror films have done in the decades prior: build up a following over a long period of time. Seriously- how long did it take something like The Wicker Man or Basket Case or something even more obscure to get to where it is now? Everyone is way too quick to come up with a list of stupid movies for how great horror is doing right now. Nobody even wants to consider the opinions of someone who doesn't agree with them. I think it's for the same reason I don't want to see this shit going on - because we both think it's what's best for the horror genre.

That was such a respectfully worded and made reply, I'm wondering how you must have responded to the last reply I made to you. I've made a point not to read that thread again - I was so fucking pissed at you the day I made it. I didn't even try to make it thoughtful and re-edit like I do with my replies to Matt. I just wanted you to know in no uncertain terms that I wanted to fucking punch you in the face. You must have felt some of that anger. I'm told I'm not a very subtle person.

Anyway - I had no right to get so stupid about it and if I had more patience, this kind of thing wouldn't have happened that way.

18. maybrick

I guess then I should feel lucky for just getting a mere punch in the face. If I were a 13 year old kid who didn't much care for Friday the 13th you would've outright killed me. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Here we go again. You're right, we're all wrong. You're so smart and see everything the way it is, we are all blinded by our own stupidity.

You just talk shit about everything else.

Wow you are ignorant.

They can argue easily as this is just your opinion, one I'm sure most on here would disagree with.

Yes it is the same routine that we are all sick of hearing. You don't like new movies or remakes, blah blah blah... then STAY OUT OF THE THREADS!! As we are all sick of hearing your complaints, and how everyone that does lie these movies is idiots.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (I know you love the smileys, so I thought I'd give you a couple extra) Anyways, I think this statement is funny coming from you, considering you are the quickest to shit on everyone's opinions. And what, before we say whether we like a film or not, we should wait 20 years until we are all wearing diapers?

Well you had no right to want to strangle someone's nephew either but you just don't think before you write something down, hence why most on here find it son hard to get along with you, or have a fair argument with. You love yourself and think your opinions are the only ones that matter. Seems like every thread that you are involved in turns into a shit fest because you don't know when to keep your thoughts to yourself.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's funny, seeing horror movies in my horror film class really brings attention to a few issues:

The first is how badly horror films have aged and modern audiences' reception to them. I mean these are film students here, but still people can't help but laugh at movies like Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Suspiria. The ones I've noticed that have held up best were actually Rosemary's Baby, The Shining (several people actually screamed during this one) and Carpenter's The Thing. These movies have aged, and yes while we can appreciate them for what they are you can't help but notice the fact that they have aged. Horror is probably the worst genre when it comes to films having a "dated" look. I'd say about 85% of them don't hold up well.

The second is that because horror films have aged, even the really well-made films lose much of their effect (I hate to say it but, especially a movie like Halloween). There's appreciation, sure because it's important to see where these films are coming from. But how many real "masterpieces" came out in the '80s? I mean, really? I honestly can't even think, off the top of my head, of a single horror film from the 1980s that is widely accepted as being a masterpiece.

And I think screening these films with large audiences really puts things into perspective. Are people really that brainwashed into thinking these movies are so fantastic and still hold up well? They don't. Sure they're good films and appreciated in retrospect, but you can't expect people to react now to them the way they reacted to them in the past. Horror is one of the worst genres when it comes to films aging poorly, and especially horror films from the '80s. (Why is it that a movie from the '30s or '40s still holds up better than a horror film from the '80s?) I mean I love films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween, but the truth is, they really DON'T hold up very well with modern audiences. And the fact of the matter is that horror is SUBJECTIVE. What one person finds scary may not be scary to another person, or what people find scary in a certain era may not hold up well 20+ years later. You can't say, "well I found this scary, so EVERYONE must've." It's a crock.

I myself didn't like the new Friday the 13th mainly because of the storyline, and the fact that it just didn't feel like Friday the 13th. I realize now that maybe that's me just wanting them to be the same. I know they could make it feel like one if they wanted to, but that brings me back to what I stated earlier: How would it have held up? I've done a lot of thinking about this movie and I think at first I was a little too harsh. I mean, I still think the movie sucked, but that's just because I don't like where horror has gone. I have my old horror films, so I'm gonna stick with those. Occasionally you get a great modern horror film like The Descent or The Strangers, but this is horror for a new era. And sure movies keep getting remade, but it's not like it takes away from the original. It's not like they're destroying every copy of the original and forcing you to only have the remake in existence. If you don't like them, don't watch them. I've stopped watching them because they frustrate me too much. So what do I do? I just watch a movie I like.

And Angelman's nephew didn't like Friday the 13th. Jesus, so fucking what? It's a terrible film in almost every respect. I appreciate it for what it is, and I do enjoy it, but I don't expect everyone to like it because here's a bit of a newsflash in case you didn't know: EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT. TIMES HAVE CHANGED, MOVIES AGE.

~Matt