Did the Friday remake do Jason proud?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 17, 2009.

?

How was the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake?

1. Awesome. It surpassed all expectations.

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Good. A successful relaunch.

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Mediocre. Crystal Lake just ain't the same.

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Dud. Bring on Jason X2!

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I'm really loving this thread. Thanking you.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Dawn of the Dead is my favorite movie, but yeah I'll readily admit that about 50% of it basically feels like any mid-70's exploitation crime/action/drama flick that just so happens to have zombies, right down to Goblin's horribly dated music during the action sequences (but I still love it and own a copy). I laugh at the film too, which I think was the point. It's funny when it's supposed to be and serious when it's supposed to be.

I think films are product of their times and any director that goes out trying to replicate that style and nine times out of ten fails miserably because it just can't be done with a self-aware mindset. Hell, even Tarantino's films, which are all homages to older films, still feel distinctly modern.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely. Why can't you make a horror film the way they were made in the '70s? It's simple. The '70s are over. It's not as much a director's style as it is the decade in which it came out and how it related to society at that particular time. We appreciate these films in retrospect. They certainly don't have the effect now that they did back when they were first released.

~Matt

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Exactly. Bela Lugosi's DRACULA was made for the 30s just as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON was made for the 50s, ROSEMARY'S BABY for the 60s, HALLOWEEN for the 70s, RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD for the 80s, SCREAM for the 90s, and "Whatever" for the 00s. Times change. PEOPLE change. Films are made for the periods they were made in. You don't like how horror movies have turned out this decade? TOUGH SHIT! I'd like to introduce you to the other sorry sons-of-bitches that have bitched and moaned about the way life has gone since time memorial....

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

And as much as I love movies from the '50s and if given the chance to go back in time to that era, I'd do it in a heartbeat. (Hell, I probably wouldn't even come back.) But it's not gonna happen, so I just have to appreciate these films for what they are.

~Matt

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Okay - so why don't we just Throw Away the horror genre? It's clear that it's worthless now. Oh, except: let's keep just the films that have been popular with movie going audiences over the past 11 years. Great plan.

Sorry, Matt. I know you were actually trying to be respectful toward me again. But, it's clear from your responses that you might as well be defending the people that are destroying this genre. It's not just times are changing. It's - they're changing too fast. And, now, it's pretty clear that nobody around here gives a fuck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  7. maybrick

I've heard your point of view before many, many times over. I've read about it in the negative reviews James Whale's FRANKENSTEIN received after it's premiere, when Hammer Studios began producing movies in blood dripping color, the clamor caused by Texas Chainsaw Massacre, gore films of the 70s and 80s. All of these were supposed to be the downfall of the genre and western civilization as a whole, but both have survived. You also remind me of Tipper Gore back in the 80s complaining about rap and heavy metal. There's nothing new about your stance, dvdfanatic. It's called "being a social conservative". You hold to a belief that things were better "back then" when in reality, there was no golden years. Everythings better in hindsight, but if we were all living in the 70s or 80s right now, you'd STILL be among those pissing and moaning about the state of modern horror because that is just your nature.

8. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Workshed Legend and ekent legend, your not alone.

Horror fans will always be divded very strongly on somethings, like Rhett Legend, he's one of the hardest to please, his strict Rhett Legend Laws make him the ultimate poster you wish liked the film you did. It feels good when all horror fans rejoice and raise a glass to a great flick, the solidarity of people who share similar passions in life. But it rarely happens, just be proud there are Rhett type people out there and forumers and then there are fans like us. The Equalibrium of the Horror Votex of Fans requires strict balance between two views.

This is why I respect Rhett Legend type laws, it's why he maybe did this thread, to see how different and diverse everyone is on a remake.

One fan may just think, well if it wasn't made in the 80s, anything made this decade is rubbish before it's filmed lol, some of us have loyality to the 80s, but perhaps the job of osme of us to help some others let go of the past to concentrate on the present, but in the end we can't force someone to like what we like, I've done it on other forumers, making someone try and understand your view, it's like trying to get inside a woman's head and understand what's she's thinking, it's one of life's mission impossibles, sometimes, but sometimes, we can influence another fan in maybe giving a film a 2nd chance or viewing, you never know, but even if you do, you might not always get their response in what they've learned in a post, because admitting you've had a change of heart on some views is one of life's true challenges for men on forums lol. It's annoying, but ultimately it's what makes the forums entertaining for all.

I'm a simple guy, stay fit and strong, watch films, treat myself to black coffee and pizza-one of life's true pleasures and watch films, it's a art form underappreciated. Asia Argento has blessed us all, she is our god. "Sometimes I could kill myself HAHAHAHA The Joker"

PEACE OUT AND RESPECT.
    A TOAST TO RHETT LEGEND.:D
    A TOAST TO ALL LEGENDS

You never grow old Michael, and you never die, BUT you must feed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I dont have a clue whats going on here :D

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That's not the point. Times are changing too fast? What's the point of even complaining about something like that? There's nothing we can do about it. I honestly don't give a shit because there have been enough good horror films made in the past. I'll stick with those. You want good modern films? Then stay the fuck away from the horror genre. If you don't like modern horror (as I don't) then stop watching them, it'll only further piss you off. Rarely do I watch a new horror film. I'm content with the ones I've seen and they satisfy my needs. The horror genre has been crap since the late '80s, so this is nothing new.

And again, I'm not DEFENDING anybody. I'm just stating plain fact. Horror has changed, films have changed, times have changed. There's nothing you can do about it.

~Matt

11. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Back onto the movie

One of my favourite bits is where he comes out from the tunnel into the hut when hes after Whitney, Derek Mears just looks so menacing there, thats a moment in the score I really liked aswell.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about music. I can name the bands from 1995 and above that like on two hands. Shits just different now. Oh well.

13. horror101

horror101 Guest

I soo agree with matt89.I hate mostly any horror to come out in years.I stick to 70s-80s.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Although I think Halloween still holds up quite well today, I can see why some others wouldn't. My girlfriend watched it for the first time last year and thought it was kind of cheesy, as compared to a lot of stuff these days it's really tame. Same with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the new one she found to be disturbing, while the original she just thought was again rather tame, and I couldn't agree more. I know many will disagree with this, and argue that the original is a lot scarier because it's shot documentary style, but I think that only worked back in the day. Now that Texas Chainsaw is a horror icon, and you are watching a cleaned up DVD or Blu Ray transfer, the whole documentary feel doesn't hold up anymore. Suspiria is a beautiful film, but other then the music is far from creepy. The red paint for blood makes it laughable to the average audience, which i found out when I played it at my Halloween party. I was arguing how aweosme it is, but many just couldn't get over the bad effects. And Dawn of the Dead, well blue faced people are just funny. The whole thing is rather laughable, especially with the terrible music.

The Fly? The Thing? Invasion of the Body Snacthers?

Nice to see someone finally admitting that remakes are judged more on us wanting them to be more like the originals then actually being bad films. Yes, I know you stated you thought the remake was still a bad film, but so were the other Friday films. We just enjoy them for sentimental reasons, and that's the reasons a lot of people hate remakes, as they can't enjoy them the same way as they don't have that sentimentality to go with them.

And yes, if they did the Friday remake like the earlier films everyone would laugh it and think it was terrible. They didn't make this remake/ reboot for us, they made it to attract new kids to the franchise. Guess what, they don't care about us old timers. We are the reason the franchise died in the first place because we got bored with them and stopped going to see them. They wanted to reboot the franchise to start fresh and attract a new fan base so they can have 7 more sequels and makes lot so more money, which in the end is what it's all about.

And to say people are stupid now because they enjoy these new horror films and dislike the older ones, well no, times are just different. They have grown up with different fears, different things frighten them then what frightened us years ago.

Exactly!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What are you talking about!? Should time be slowed down so you can live forever and enjoy your favoruite films? You grew up in a different time, you are old, get over it! What you found scary, kids don't these days, that's just the way it is. You didn't grow up in a time where kids are shot and stabbed daily. Who is scary of a guy in a mask with a butcher knife when these days every kids carries a gun with them.

And no one said we should forget about older films or throw them away. They will always be there for us old timers to enjoy, but you can't expect every kid these days to get the same thing you did out of some old horror flick. They weren't alive back then so they don't understand why that is scary. You just cannot expect it to have the same impact on them as it did you. And like Matt said, there are some horror films that are still frightening to this day, and still hold up. But Friday the 13th or Halloween are not them. Yes they are amazing pictures and started the slasher craze, but to audiences these days they are really tame.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Haha, a lot of you older fellas should just be happy that you got to experience a lot of the classics in theaters during your youth. I turned 17 in 2004 so that gives you an idea of the dreck I had to put up with on the big screen during my childhood.

Even if the films out now are not as good as the classics, I would still love to be young horror fan right now. The horror genre is definitely the best it's been since the mid-80's.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Agreed, man. Kids and teenagers aren't as naive about the world these days as they were back then. They think differently and find a lot of the things in the older flicks implausible or just silly. Hell, I'll even admit that I suffer from this. Not so much horror films from the 70's and 80's (I notice things that just make shake my head, but it doesn't impede on my enjoyment of them), but I really can't get into many horror films from the early 60's and back. Call me a spoiled youngster who doesn't appreciate the classics, but meh, that's just the way it is.

18. maybrick

Every single one of those is a remake of a classic from the 50s, and although all of them are indeed great films, none of them are unique to the 80s (especially Body Snatchers which is a remake from the 70s).

19. maybrick

Now it is my turn to say: "What are you talking about?" Of COURSE we grew up in a time where kids were shot and stabbed daily. It isn't as if sometime around 1993 people decided to begin killing kids. This has been happening ever since there have been people on Earth! This is what I was talking about earlier about the "Golden Years" effect. Things are more or less exactly the same now as they ever were, it's just a fact of human nature that as we age we tend to think things get worse. If anything, the murder rate has gone down over the past century. It's actually our perception of death that has changed. Death is rarer now and that actually makes people more scared of it when it happens. This is illustrated by the number and types of stories that are reported in the news today, not because these events have skyrocketed in recent years, but because they happen so rarely now they ARE news. A lot of news stories simply wouldn't have been reported 50 years ago before everybody had been vaccinated against most major diseases, were still smoking cigarettes and driving around in unsafe vehicles. A lot of people today think we've become too numbed towards death. I argue that we've become too sensitized.

Also, most kids in every generation have laughed at the movies of the older generations. Again, this is nothing new. This was happening back in the 80s, believe it or not.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah there were as many deaths, but not in schools or involving kids. Guns weren't as easy to get back then as they are now. How many school related deaths or massacres happened in the 80s or below? How many 16 year old kids were responsible for countless student deaths. These days it happens like every year. Fights used to be settled back then with fists, not with a kid coming to school with a machine gun and blowing away a bunch of people before committing suicide himself. People weren't afraid to go to school back then like they are now. Metal detectors weren't a requirement like they are now. Those days kids were more afraid of their parents then the other kids at school.

And I meant kids in the 70s seeing Texas Chainsaw Massacre were scared of the film, where as now not so much. Kids in the 60s were frightened by Night of the Living Dead where as now kids laugh it. I agree though, everyone laughs at what came before them.