Did the Friday remake do Jason proud?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 17, 2009.

?

How was the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake?

1. Awesome. It surpassed all expectations.

16 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Good. A successful relaunch.

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Mediocre. Crystal Lake just ain't the same.

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  4. Dud. Bring on Jason X2!

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Actually, guns were easier to get back then. No background checks! No wait!

Kids going on spree killings (on schoolgrounds and elsewhere) has been happening for a lot farther back than coverage in the media would have you believe. They're also pretty biased in that they usually only really cover the ones that take place in upscale neighborhoods. The only thing that has really changed is how the media is choosing to report these events: by amping up the fear quotient.

Doing a quick search online regarding school shooting statistics I dug up this page. You may want to check it out:

http://youthviolence.edschool.virginia.edu/violence-in-schools/school-shootings.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. Burn

Burn Guest

Jasons' house?! He pays his electricity bills?! Does he have an American Express card, too?!

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much. I meant in terms of watching these films with a large audience. They just don't come off as scary. Sure there are jump scares that still get most people, but the films don't exactly work the way they used to. We appreciate them in retrospect and see where they came from and respect these movies for what they are, but I don't care what anybody says. Most of these movies just don't hold up well. And I'm not saying that as just opinion, I've experienced this in the horror film course I'm taking. Most of these films come off as funny to many people. Most of them are just not scary anymore.

But yeah, pretty much in total agreement here.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was '78 (and one of the best horror/sci-fi films ever made), but yeah I guess The Thing and The Fly are up there as well. Funny how these all just so happen to be remakes, which totally proves the fact that it was the era that these films came out in that made them what they are. Remakes now don't have the same impact as these older films, merely because the '70s and '80s are over. We appreciate them in retrospect. They really said something about the time period in which they were released, and now remaking something like Last House on the Left obliterates all meaning. The horror films of this decade will not be considered classics years from now, I believe simply because these remakes and films of today are devoid of meaning.

~Matt

4. Hated it, was Mindless Drab. They would have been better off doing a remake shot for shot AKA Psycho.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well I think the problem with horror films today is they are all trying to pay homage to movies from the 70s and 80s, where as back then they were really trying to do something unique and new. Films from the 70s and 80s weren't trying to resurrect films from the 50s and 60s, they were trying to surpass them, make them more real and scary. Personally I love horror from the 70s and 80s so I have no problem with the films being released now, even if they don't quite achieve what they set out to do.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Okay I will go with that, but I wasn't talking about the 90s. I was comparing school violence in the 60s, 70s and 80s to school violence now. From what I've heard from a lot of older people I talked to, a fight behind the school was a big deal back then, these days that would not happen, and instead it would end with someone getting a drive by. Kids weren't in fear to go to school back then compared to now where a lot of them are, especially if you live in some of the rougher cities. In To. not a day goes by that you don't hear about a young kid getting shot and killed. And they are getting younger as well. Not too long ago I'm pretty sure it was a 16 year old doing the shooting. In the 60s kids didn't walk around with guns. You can argue guns were easier to get back then, but you just didn't hear about kids with guns all the time. Switchblades maybe, but guns, I don't think so.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  7. maybrick

According to this site, there was a surge in teen homicide between the years 1985 and 1993 but has since dropped back to the levels of the 70s. http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/teens.htm

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Again, that isn't really showing much. Take a poll on how many adults on here aged 20 and up were afraid to go to school compared to now. And even if it is just because the media is talking about it more, it still would have an effect on kids watching horror films and what scares them the most. My whole point is, how can a guy wearing a mask with a knife be scary, when a lot of kids these days have a bigger knife in their pocket or a gun in their pant leg. I'm more scared of gang violence these days then I am any horror creation.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

There was also that one gal in the late 70's that just started shooting kids because she didn't like Mondays.

Also weren't the girls involved in the Manson murders pretty young? I mean they weren't kids, but pretty damn close to it.

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

All I know is all the adults I talk to said it wasn't like this when they grew up, and they didn't have to worry about this kind o stuff every day when they went to school. Hell I'd be afraid to go to a club these days without getting shot in the crossfire, thank god I'm a pub man myself. It was only last year I believe that a young girl got shot on Boxing Day due to crossfire. Yes there were lots of crazy people back then, but these days it's like the average kid just trying to survive a day of school that carries a gun.

11. maybrick

How many adults aged 20 and up still go to school? Just joking, I know what you meant, but I seriously doubt there's really all that many teenagers quaking in their boots at the prospect of going to school on a day to day basis. Gang violence was as just as large of a problem back in the 80s, even larger actually, that's why there was a spike in teen homicide from 85 to 93. While your point in and of itself may be valid, it's somewhat based on incorrect assumptions that don't hold up to the facts.

The truth is, School violence is at an all time low right now despite the dramatic large scale school shootings that make headlines.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

One gal in the 70s that started shooting people, compared to the what, school shooting every year these days.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Fair enough, I guess we can just agree to disagree. I think if we want to continue debating this though we should start another thread, as we have taken up the last page on the Jason remake. :lol:

PS This is me admitting you won. Now I'm going to hide my head in shame.

14. maybrick

NOOOO!!!!! You can't concede! This is a message board. We're supposed to butt heads until we kill each other (or are booted by the mods). Don't you know the rules???? What's with this... oh, what do you call it... civility? I'll have none of it! Get dvdfanatic back in here, STAT!!!!

:lol:

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I did a study on this and I don't have the statistics in front of me now but I seem to remember being shocked that youth violence levels have dropped substantively since the 80s/70s. Oddly, though, violence among young females has gone up...

16. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

It was okay, i voted mediocre.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I re-watched this last night on DVD since seeing it in the theaters. Guys, you'll all eventually have to admit it, this is one fucking shitty movie. After you see it again without the theater experience/influence, it really reveals itself as the huge let down that it is. At this point I'm done with Marcus Nispel. He was a one hit wonder on the TCM remake but shit the bed on everything he's done since.

There was one good scene in F13 remake and that's the water-skiing scene - and not because of the boobies either :p but because of the way it looked. The lighting and everything just looked really F13-ish.

I also like the idea of the opening scene with the bunch who get killed before the title comes up, but watching it again, it was just ok. Not enough to forgive the fact that they completely fucked up the Jason mystique.

Speaking of Jason, why does he look like Louie the Plumber? He's got a wife beater on and has a gut. There's one scene at the end where he's struggling to get free and I couldn't help notice that, "wow, Jason's got a huge ass!" What the fuck? Can anyone explain why they refuse to use Kane Hodder? Right there, you're casting someone who can make up for abominations like Jason X because of his cult status alone. Why do they have to re-imagine Jason's look every fucking time? And Jason's lair? How in the name of screaming fuck did that thing get built or even better, unnoticed by the Sherif's department when some dipshit kids find it immediately? Why are all the canoes still there? Decoration? There's a fucking teddy bear on Jason's bed?!?!?

Holy shit, the more I think about this, the more I realize they couldn't fuck it up any worse than they did. There's a scene where douche-bag's sister breaks free only to be captured again. What's the point of this? You could argue it's to keep the tension going because so much of that part of the film is consumed with the rich guy fucking that hot chick and the asian guy out in the tool shed acting like a wanker. Alternatively, you could argue that the audience totally forgot about the sister character and needed to be reminded because so much time was spent on watching the rich guy fucking that hot chick and the asian guy out in the tool shed acting like a wanker. Either way, it feels really unnecessary and stupid.

So finally all these kids and a police officer get murdered by some lunatic and our protagonists get the better of him and kill him and what do they do? Dump him in the lake!!! SURE, WE DIDN'T NEED TO SHOW THE COPS WHAT HAPPENED DID WE? (where's the "retarded" emoticon when you need it?)

Everyone who liked it when they saw it, I'm betting is going to realize it's a piece of shit when they watch it a second time. But I'm sure it will be argued that Friday the 13th is supposed to be cheesy and stupid. Whatever. Watch this and then watch part 2 of the original series and tell me that.

PS: I'd like to officially change my vote from "Mediocre" to "Dud. Bring on Jason X2!"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Dude I watched it twice the day I got in on blu and countless times after that. I even watched it this past weekend when ripping the unrated version to put on my ipod. I still love it.

I agree that her escape is ultimately a pointless subplot, but to me it did add that fun scene that we see in a lot of the Friday the 13th movies where the teenagers/counselors/whatever are doing it or something while something very sinister is right under their noses, such as Jack and Marcy doing it while Ned's dead body is above them.

Why didn't anyone ever find Jason's shack until that cop or Ginny did? How did Jason find Alice? Or get to her for that matter? How do the Jarvis' not have any idea about the plethora of murders happening around the very lake they live on? And Rob with all of his research on Jason even though he killed his sister only a couple days prior. I can go on and on.

Alice sees all of her fellow counselors killed and decapitates someone and what is the first thing she does? Take a nap in a fucking canoe.

I'm not excusing the screw ups in the new film because there are quite a few, but to rag on this film and just ignore equally moronic things in the original films seems kind of biased to me.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It went on too long to justify for that reason alone.

Finding a huge series of underground tunnels not to mention a human head in an abandoned camp grounds, is no where near the same as finding a shack made of sheet metal buried in the woods.

After running for her life for the entire evening, she was exhausted and decided to isolate herself in the middle of the lake - right after she killed Mrs Voorhese (a split decision made that same evening). Makes sense. Tell me how the remake's ending made sense, when they decide to dump Jason in the lake the next morning!

I could also go on defending certain aspects of the earlier films, some are undeniable dumb as well, but here's the thing, the remake is shit, plain and simple and nowhere near as good as the first two original films. You or I, or anyone on these boards for that matter could have easily written a better movie.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That made me laugh. Thanks! :D

For one thing, I think they wanted to start fresh. I have nothing against Hodder, but his Jason was never the Jason that creeped me out. He does have the distinct disadvantage, though, of entering the franchise at a point when it had long since abandoned trying to be scary. And I didn't like anything about Jason X - for me, it is as much about how Jason is shot, how his story is told, as it is about who is playing him.