Did you make the switch from DVD to Blu-ray yet?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Hellbilly, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Did you (finally) make the switch?

1. Yes

91.4%
  2. No

8.6%
  3. VHS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Didn't want to upgrade at first, but did about 3 years ago when Blu-ray exclusive bonus features became prevalent. I don't upgrade from DVD to Blu unless there's an anamorphic upgrade or new bonus features. I'm fine still watching things on DVD.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I swear there are many who get confused on which way that street goes and think you can't play either on either. I think it's why Target and Wal-Mart have expanding dvd sections (and special standee offers) while their BD selection shrinks. I've been to 3 Wal-Marts in the last couple weeks and not one has any of their exclusive Fox BD's with the Ghana-poster looking faceplates and digital copies. They all have a huge dvd standee from Universal though. Good news for the dvd crowd though, it won't die and is revived even.:)

I've been blu since 09 and won't look back. I'll still buy an occasional dvd if BD doesn't exist, or is too expensive to import and not worth it to me.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

In regards to upgrading DVDs (or VHS) to blu-ray, I've had great luck with cult horror titles.

In a lot of cases, I've been able to sell my DVDs for the same price as the blu-ray (or more). For example, taking a quick look at my blu-ray rack, Night Of The Comet, Night Of The Demons 1 and 2, From Beyond, The Horror Show, Witchboard, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry / Race With The Devil, Ticks, The House On Sorority Row, Evilspeak, Magic, Intruder, Frankenhooker, Street Trash, Maniac Cop, The Unseen, Dead And Buried, Two Evil Eyes, The Blob (1958), Dark Night Of The Scarecrow, Day Of The Animals / Grizzly / Devil Dog (still waiting on Grizzly to be released though), etc. Recently parted ways with Cannibal Holocaust, Nightmare, and The Final Terror to make room for the upgrades. All of these cost me maybe $1 or $2 to upgrade, in a few cases I even made a couple bucks from it. The cult movies actually sell, as long as you take good care of your movies and can list them as "like new".

If it's something mainstream where there's 100 copies for 1 cent, then you probably won't have much luck. But, I did manage to upgrade Harry And The Hendersons and Rain Man for free recently.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'll always chose BD over DVD when buying something new, but I agree with this. Upgrading seemed like a great idea at first, but I've since lost the taste for it. Unless the original release was really poor by DVD standards (such as a non-anamorphic transfer), or new supplements are available. Otherwise, I'm quite content watching the DVDs I have.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Didn't want to but then I bought a PS3 two or so years ago. It's fine. I can recognize that films look better but it hasn't "improved" my viewing experience by too much. I rarely purchase DVDs or Blu-Rays anymore, however, as I rarely rewatch anything.

Gettin' old!

6. RNunez187

RNunez187 Member

Switched to HDDVD first then to Blu Ray when I got my PS3 back in 08-09.

Rudy

7. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Bought a HD-DVD player in 2006 then my first BD player in 2007, not looked back since.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I got my PS3 literally on day one, November 17, 2006. Haven't looked back since.

I still buy the occasional DVD only release, but I always go for the Blu-ray and even 3D version when I can.

From my perspective we're film fans here, not format fans. I'm willing to give up Blu-ray for the latest and greatest too. The important thing is having the most film like and true to source version of the movies I enjoy.

9. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The real question is who has jumped onto 4K Ultra HD? I'm seriously slowing down on purchases and planning on getting one eventually. Physical format or not, I want to see that next step in resolution. I've seen demos of Taxi Driver. It's like I'd never seen the film before. Thank God so many classics were shot on film. Gives you an idea of how far ahead that medium was and how brilliant it can look when care is taken in a digital transfer.

10. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I haven't really switched. Someone gave me a blu ray player and it just sort of sits in a separate room with a television. I mainly use my bedroom tv with a dvd/vcr combo. A lot of the time when I go to friends houses and they talk about the spectacular flat screen tv with the blu ray combo they have, and I sit down and its TOO lifelike and video-y for me. I still haven't gotten on the bandwagon because I sort of sprain my disbelief when I see something from the seventies that's been restored and my brain screams "DIGITAL FILE!" to me. And quite frankly, it feels to me like blu ray has caused studios to opt for making blu rays of films that have already been out on dvd rather than delving deeper into their back catalogues. I would rather see two lost films come out in lower resolution than an already released film in too much clarity. It seems the entire industry has sacrificed stories with decent resolution for images with decent resolution.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I (like many) have had blu-ray since the PS3 premiered in 2006. I used to own a massive DVD collection, however traded in most of them to upgrade to the same films on blu-ray that I couldn't do without. I have a good majority of what I want on blu-ray. I can see upgrading certain films to 4K, but not all (Dark Knight Trilogy - yes, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - no).

12. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

Finally got a Bluray player early last year after getting a handful of Blurays thru Best Buys dvd/Bluray exchange promotion. I still buy mainly dvd unless the Bluray is cheaper (bought both The Wolverine and Man of Steel on Bluray for $10 apiece at Target because they were actually cheaper than the dvds). For me it isn't dvd vs. Bluray, it is old print vs. remastered print. As long as a new transfer is available on dvd and cheaper then I'll buy the dvd, although the sound on dvd cannot compare to Bluray.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I was lucky enough to receive a flat screen and PS3 from a friend a couple of years ago. I still make a few DVD purchases once in a while but try to get titles on blu if it's available. I have a lot of DVDs that I will likely not replace so I definitely still enjoy the format--but the difference is usually quite impressive.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've begun planning for it much like I planned for Blu-ray ahead of time by not picking up movies that I know will make the transition to 4k; Hollywood stuff mostly. For example I didn't buy the 4k remasters of Taxi Driver, Fargo or Robocop because I know they'll be on 4k/8k soon enough. I cracked and picked up Ghostbusters 4k remaster.

Admittedly 2k HD is still relatively tepid. Hopefully glasses-free 3D will be able to push higher definitions and higher frame rates to the masses.

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't. Why? Because I don't give a shit about HD. Hell I still watch a lot of films on VHS.

Will I go HD one day? Sure but for now I'm A-OK with what I have.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

This, to me, sounds like your friends might have their HDTV's refresh rate set to 120hz or 240hz, which will make anything look "lifelike" and like a play rather than a film, and is absolutely NOT the way you want it set for watching movies. It's good for gaming and watching sports, but it destroys the playback of the frame rate for watching movies.

Here's an article better explaining why HDTV's should be set to 60hz for viewing films, be it DVD or Blu-ray: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

This may not be the case, but I know there's a lot of confusion in regard to TV refresh rate and most people I find don't know about it, and have their HDTVs incorrectly/not properly set for movie viewing. A lot now a days are factory set to 120hz or 240hz out of the box, so you'd need to manually change back to 60hz for proper viewing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Most people don't know what the heck they're doing when they buy a new TV these days. It comes out of the box and into immediate use without anybody making the necessary tweaks to the picture, sound, etc. I've been to many homes where the stuff that's playing is so bright you freaking need sunglasses. I'm going to miss plasma TVs as you didn't have to worry about refresh rates or any of that nonsense. Anyway, back on topic, I'm shocked to discover that a lot of people here are still OK with DVD and still haven't upgraded. What's more shocking is that people find that any improvement in picture quality over DVD is marginal or not worth it. All I can say to those folks is, more power to ya. You've got incredible willpower if you have convinced yourself that Blu-ray isn't worth it. My only advice is when your DVD player finally conks out buy yourself a nice Blu-ray machine to replace it. It'll play all your precious standard def stuff as well as shiny new BDs, just in case you change your mind ;)

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoy blu ray, i have 4 players now, 2 region locked and 2 region free, so i can experience films from around the world. I still buy DVD but this is usually when there is no blu available. I don't think the jump from DVD to Blu is as dramtic as VHS to DVD, but there is still a noticable improvement, that makes it worth while.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

at this point, it's only 4 people. I wouldn't call that a lot...

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

If a new movie comes out or a movie that I don't have in my collection I strictly go with Blu-ray.

Also as far as double dipping, it has to be a really excellent movie (and Blu-ray quality) for me to upgrade over my current DVD counterpart. There are plenty of Blu's that are garbage. Then of course I still buy movies that are on DVD only that will probably never see the Blu-ray light of day.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014