Digging Up the Marrow

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Bobbywoodhogan, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

[​IMG]

I finally watched this, I'd describe as found footage style mock documentary. I actually think it would have been a good idea just to make a normal horror film about a character who discovers this thing they call the Marrow. But I guess Adam Green wanted to do something a little different and credit to him for that. He definitely made something unique and interesting but I don't think he excecuted quite aswell as he maybe could have. One of the most disappointing things about this film was the ending, it was abit of a letdown and I wonder if the documentary format he went for is why he couldn't get a nailed on ending. To be honest I'm not sure exactly what was supposed to have happened at the end but maybe that was the intent. All in all I'd say it's a solid movie and would recommen it but I'm not sure it's going to have much rewatch value.

Has anyone else seen this yet?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched this last night and enjoyed it for the most part. I casually listen to Adam Green's podcast "The Movie Crypt" and enjoyed his show Holliston plus the Scary Sleepover webseries, and the movie is pretty much more of his persona and the whole Ariescope world. As a fan of those, I found the movie extremely watchable. Plus, Ray Wise is always a treat to watch. His performance here is wonderful, as always.

I did think the horror element was lacking, and probably the weakest aspect of the movie. It's an interesting premise, but the monsters were extremely cartoonish and the scares fell flat. Despite Wise's performance, I couldn't really get into the whole Dekker plot. I also thought Adam Green's acting was a bit spotty, specifically his awkward reaction shots as he's interviewing Ray Wise.

I can't say the movie didn't keep me entertained though. Definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of Green, Holliston, or The Movie Crypt.

3. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

So basically this is Adam Green's found footage/documentary style take on Nightbreed.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This was terrible. I can't recommend this one to anyone. I thought it would slowly escalate to some crazy and hopefully creepy/scary chaos at the end but goes for one of the most boring conclusions I've seen in one of these found footage type films. I was expecting a lot more from Adam Green but he missed a lot of great opportunities with this one. His character in the film was super annoying as well; like some man child pulling kiddie type faces at people and being a jerk most of the time.
    Obviously the worst part is the lack of monsters which is even more insulting in scenes where they are literally looking at nothing while a character tells us there's something right there in front of us. There's only one scene with a few monsters that actually felt promising but then it goes straight back to boring with nothing happening and characters somehow not entirely convinced in these creatures after filming and being attacked by them.
    Don't be fooled by the intriguing artwork, skip this one.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Basically, yeah. And it also seemed to borrow some elements from Absentia and others.

I really wanted to like it more than I did, but I was unimpressed. I thought Ray Wise as the main character was just too obvious to portray the "real life" guy. It should have been a more unknown (but good) actor.

I didn't dislike it, but I can't see myself ever wanting to watch it again. I try to stay away from these "found footage" films these days, but I have liked Green's previous projects. I'd recommend it as a rental (as I did), but not as a blind buy.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I must've bee in the perfect mood, cuz I blind bought and watched it last night and loved it. The monsters were underwhelming and Green's acting missed hard in a spot or 2, but it kept me glued to screen and laughing most of the way. Not sure how I feel about the ending, but did really enjoy the ride. I also love Green's other work (haven't seen Holliston, but am about to rectify that), so mileage will vary. Certainly worth a viewing. I'm very happy with my blind buy, but I really didn't risk much except free erewards money anyway. Real money should probably rent first since even Green fans are split on this one.

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Considering you hate pretty much everything I love I'm so highly anticipating this one it isn't funny.

8. Zombie Dude

Good luck with it. Apart from a scene or two it was a giant waste of time for me.

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Pile of shit avoid avoid avoid!

10. Zombie Dude

Totally agree.

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

A contender to replace 'The Capture of Bigfoot' as my favorite horror film of all time.

12. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I'm new to Green. I've been enjoying his podcast recently. But after re-watching this with my Wife, I noticed those reaction shots! And they're priceless! LOL! I will never be able to unsee them now!