Do any of you non Blue Rayer's feel left out?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Horrorphilly, Apr 16, 2008.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I can't even afford a decent tv so there's not too much point in upgrading. I'll wait a couple of years till things are a little more inexpensive and then I'll jump in. I do occasionally wish I could afford this stuff, but I can't so I'm pretty sure I can live with it until I can.

2. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Usually if you see an overpriced featureless Blu-Ray it's coming from Fox. They have an excellent catalog of titles. But unfortunately, Fox continues to be a festering wart on the smelly ass of the Blu-Ray industry.

The other studios have been pretty good with adding special features and keeping the prices reasonable. Some Blu-Ray discs truly outshine their SD counterparts in all aspects.

My biggest gripe about Blu-Ray extras has been that many of them are still in SD. I don't know if that's a disc-space issue, or they just don't want to pay for a new HD transfer.

I think the truth is that studios have learned their lesson from DVD. Why sell a movie just once, when you can sell it 3-4 times. That's the way it's been with DVD, and it's not going to change with HD.

But in the end, I don't really care about extras. I've never once upgraded a movie for the extras (in DVD or HD). For me, it's all about the film itself. If a movie has better picture/audio, then I'll upgrade.

3. Occasionally I get the urge to jump to HD, but it's usually just for gaming. I'm sure if I had a great high-def setup I would be glad that I did, but you can count me in as one of those "what I've got is good enough" troglodytes. I just don't have time to watch more than one or two movies a week, and I have other hobbies and obligations that are a better use of my money. Sooner or later the temptation will be too much to resist, but right now, I don't feel left out at all.

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I was someone who went into LD early, and enjoyed having the best format around until I switched to DVD early in 1999. I don't feel like being the early one this time. I don't have an HD capable TV (or computer) yet, so there's no rush.

Plus, the titles on Blu-Ray currently suck ass. In a couple of years maybe, but this isn't the time. I might actually wait for the inevitable next gen...but I think I will ride DVD out. Christ, it hasn't even been 10 years.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I have to admit, all this talk is sucking me in, and I actually thought about throwing one on my credit card the other day, but smartened up and decided I would wait. My roommate is planning on picking up a PS3 sometime, so I think I can survive until then.

If I get one I will probably not run out and buy the rushed out discs like Dawn or Halloween, even if they are some of my favourite films. But I wouldn't mine picking up a few of the newer titles like Juno or Sweeney Todd that are exactly the same as their DVD counterparts, plus the better video and audio. That and I would like to grab a Blu Ray player before I pick up the Blade Runner case, as the prices are pretty close, and it would save me from trying to hunt one of those down later on.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Next gen will be downloads. I really think media as we enjoy today will be be done for movies post-BR.

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

OK now I'm feeling left out. BR Tale Of Two Sisters and Firefly complete series with new commentaries are making me wish I could afford to jump on board!!!

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Not interested in paying $400 for a player and more money for movies. My upconverted DVDs who phenomenal on my 47" TV!

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It's going to be awesome when stories of hard drives crashes and people losing their entire collection of films start getting posted on-line.

Not to mention the thousands and thousands of dollars of computer equipment needed to run a home movie server, the high monthly price of high end fast Internet (a few hundred a month).

People will be begging for "cheap" Blu-Ray players and real media!

10. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Actually, you don't need to spend thousands on computer equipment or hundreds on internet service. You can download HD movies on Xbox 360 with a standard broadband connection. And I think it's only a matter of time before the PS3 adds movie downloads.

The 5/08 issue of Maximum PC had a great article on movie download services. You can read it here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_ultimate_guide_to_movie_download_services

They gave Vudu a pretty good review. The box is only $300, and movies are $10-$20 to own, which makes it cheaper than blu-ray. The HD films aren't quite blu-ray quality yet. But I figure it's only a matter of time.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think digital downloads are very practical today, I watch movies in HD on my media server quite frequently thanks in part to my PS3. The main hook up I think is the general public. There probably isn't much faith in its support. "How long is Vudu going to be around? Will I need to be a difference service in two years or not have it at all?" There's too many unanswered questions for a service that's already being provided in many others ways.

The easiest solution is cable/satellite providing the service. I have OnDemand with Comcast and it does the job. It already comes with digital/HD cable and prices start as low as $1.99 to 'rent' I believe. I'm a cheap bastard and only look at the free stuff, and yes there's plenty of that too. The main advantage of course is that receivers are already in people's homes. Much like the PS3 it's the perfect Trojan horse.

Still, I prefer the higher quality of Blu-ray and don't see myself depending on HD OnDemand until they consistently equal or out perform Blu-ray.

12. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Here's another interesting HD download service called XStreamHD coming later this year. Instead of a high-speed internet connection, it uses a satellite dish similar to DirecTV. They promise full 1080p blu-ray quality video and DTS-HD audio.

Sounds kinda interesting. Like a Tivo, it'll download some movies in advance based on your preferences, so they'll be ready to watch. It's also got ATSC tuners so you can record local HD broadcasts.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-9844779-67.html

13. eaglebauer

eaglebauer New Member

Dont waste your money on Blue Ray, it will be a dead product in the next 5 years when all movies will go to usb flashdrives!!!!!!!!!

14. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

A few hours after I wrote this, I got an email from Playstation asking me to take a survey about movie downloads. They asked questions like how important is HD downloads and whether you'd prefer to rent or own the downloads.

I'd be really surprised if movie downloads weren't added to the PSN Store in the next couple months.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This is the reason I still want it saved on some type of media. When I download DIVX files, I always archive them to DVD-R for "permanent storage". I don't trust hard drives!

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of having to order a movie everytime I want to watch it. My friends and I were talking about what would be the next medium and we all thought it would be cool if they started putting the movies on flash drives. You could still have a collection to show off but it'd be uber tiny and wouldnt take up a lot of space.

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Well, I am "old school" I guess, since I still buy CDs (grasp!) and DVDs and Blu-Ray discs (EEP!).

P.S. flash drives go bad all the time as well.

18. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Criterion is going BluRay

It feels like I should upgrade .. but I still need a big ass TV and some reassurance that my player will work with EVERY title without some stupid firmware/software/wareware upgrades ...

19. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I just placed an order for some Chinese movies in VCD format, so no I don't feel left out by not having blue ray. I never placed that much importance on a perfect transfer, I was one of thsoe who thought VHS was good enough, I'm like whatever is cheapest ;) I didn't upgrade my vhs to dvd either, so I definitely wouldn't be updating my dvd to Blueray.

20. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Flash drives would be cool. For physical media, I'd like to see flash cards. They've already got cards that go up to 32GB, which is enough for HD. They're so tiny you could carry a dozen movies in your wallet.