Do you consider...

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by thing, Aug 23, 2013.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Do you consider When a Stranger Calls and its sequel a slasher film?
    I see it on a lot of slasher lists and it has inspired a lot of films including some slashers but really he is just a tormentor of one person.

Your thoughts?

2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

The opening scene and the last 20/30 or so minutes are pure suspense thriller, while the middle part of the film is like a detective-crime thriller.

It's hardly a slasher film honestly. It's a suspense/crime thriller if you really want to categorize it.

I haven't seen the sequel

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

He murders the children in the house, so yes. That's pretty disturbing, creepy and a lot more than just tormenting. Haven't seen the sequel though.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

does murdering 2 children
    in the first 20 mins of a film make it a slasher?

5. vampyr789

we never see the act and we don't even know
    they're dead
    until the end of whole sequence.

To me, no it's not really a slasher film. There's no true use of any of the classic slasher tropes, no POV, no actual slashing seen on camera or implied, etc. Except maybe stalking a babysitter, and calling from inside the house, but that's about it.

6. Zombie Dude

For me yes, because then he's after the babysitter just like Michael Myers was after Laurie. It can definitely be categorized under "slasher" in my eyes.

7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Still one of the most suspenseful 20 minutes in all of cinema. Shame about the rest of the film, though it did pick up a bit near the end.

8. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I liked the whole thing, the intensity levels are different for different parts of the story telling but I enjoyed the lot. Same with the much maligned sequel

9. vampyr789

I'm with you on this, I too enjoy the whole movie! Sure it's not the best, and even though the middle section is slow, it's ending helps round it off as a decent thriller

10. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Yeah, the first 20 minutes of that film scared the ever loving shit out of me when I was a kid. I couldn't sleep for a week.

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Minus the opening and closing sequences, I think you'd be hard-pressed to even qualify the original as a horror film in general, much less a slasher film specifically. You don't really have to even go into what would technically be considered a slasher or not since,

only two murders occur in the entire film, both having taken place several hours prior to the events in the opening sequence and both entirely offscreen. Were it not for dialogue describing the act, we wouldn't even be aware that any murders had actually taken place.

I can't comment on the sequel.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's lumped in with the slasher genre but I don't think it really qualifies.The first 20 minutes and the last ten are tremendously suspenceful,while the middle is a character driven Police procedural film with a hint of the vigilante film.It's more in the psychological horror vein in my opinion,more interested in building suspense than splashing blood.

13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

yeah I think its pretty much settled that its not a slasher :)

14. Zombie Dude

The opening and closing sequences are part of the film as a whole. You can't really say minus those bits = this. I've also seen slashers where a lot of the kills are off screen.
    The film has some slasher tendencies so I don't feel uncomfortable chucking it in with that group.

15. vampyr789

Which slasher film is like those parts of When a stranger calls?

16. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Only Scream which ripped it off for its opening

17. Zombie Dude

There's a lot of people go missing and turn up dead in slashers. While you may not see the carnage here I felt it worked better for the film to have it described.

18. vampyr789

Kind of I guess. But in Scream you actually have her boyfriend die, see her get stabbed (in true slasher fashion), and die.
    None of that happens in when a stranger calls even at the ending. She only comes in contact for a moment before she's saved.

That's hardly a slasher moment ya know?

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That's fair. I won't debate whether or not the opening and closing sequences could be opening and closing sequences of a slasher film, because they certainly could. Do the opening and closing sequences alone make this a slasher film? Not in my opinion since so many basic elements are absent from the body of the film.

No graphic violence. The antagonist's grisly murders are revealed in dialogue only. No on screen murders take place nor are there any on screen reveals.

No body count. The antagonist's body count doesn't increase at all after the opening 20 minute sequence. In fact, the antagonist is responsible for only two murders total. The two victims never actually appear in the movie because the murders actually take place prior to the events captured in the film. Technically, this film has a body count of zero.

No sequential victims. The antagonist only attempts one murder during the bulk of the film before the closing sequence.

These are three of the most basic elements of a slasher film and the film fails all three.

There's also Black Christmas (1974). All three films are using variations on "The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs" folk legend.

20. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

If WASC is a slasher film, so is 1981's Blow Out because of the slasher opening and the death irl. But I would never classify BO as a slasher. And though I love the beginning and the ending of WASC, and offscreen murders can STILL count as slasher material (used to GREAT effect in the first Friday the 13th) I don't feel that Stranger has enough moments other than being loosely inspired by Halloween at the time. So no, to me, it's not a slasher.

Murders don't make slashers for me. It's sort of a "you know when you see it" thing. The Hills Have Eyes is not a slasher to me, but Part 2 definitely is. I consider the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre a slasher, but Part 2 not so much, yet had it added another murder I would likely have. Films with low body counts like Funeral Home and Trick or Treats '82 I consider slashers, but some high death movies like Shocker I do not. It's up to the person. Sort of. I mean, if somebody says that Friday the 13th Part II is not a slasher film, they're wrong because it overwhelmingly fits the broad definition.