Do you like DVD with your Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Dec 3, 2009.

?

How would you like your Blu-rays

Poll closed Jan 2, 2010.
  1. The BD disc only with possibility for a rebate for my old DVD.

55 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. A flipper disc with the BD and DVD on separate sides.

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. A package with one BD and one DVD.

47 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. A BD disc with a Digital Copy download.

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. A BD disc with an additional Digital Copy disc.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. I'm staying with DVD.

27 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

The big debate in the format wars these days seems to be what to do with DVDs when you upgrade to Blu-ray. A few companies have started introducing alternatives, whether it be sending your DVDs in for a rebate (Warner Brothers) or including the standard definition version along with the Blu-ray (Universal and Fox). And when it comes to including the DVD, some are putting it on flipper discs (Universal) and others including a second DVD disc in the package. Where do you stand? When you upgrade, what do you want?

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

When I replace a film on blu-ray, I can honestly care less about the DVD. I usually sell them off to a used DVD/bookstore in downtown Toronto (there are tons of places that give you decent money for your DVDs). There's one place that gives you about $3-6 for a DVD when you sell it off. So if you sell off in bulk, sometimes I've come out of that place with $50-100. I usually just wait until I have a pile-up of DVDs that I've replaced on blu-ray and go over to this store and just sell them all in bulk.

But yeah, totally against that stupid bullshit that Universal is pulling. If you're going to replace a film on blu-ray or buy it on blu-ray, why the fuck would you need the DVD? Stupid.

~Matt

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

If I had to pick one it would be having a standalone dvd version included as long as it didnt affect the price or was only a dollar or two more. Just like movies that come with digital copies they seem (on average) to cost more when they first come out but then usually drop in price just like all the other bluray movies on the market. The MAJORITY of people still do not have blu-ray players so if you wanted to take your movie to a friend or family members or a girlfriends (wherever) its nice to have a dvd as well you can use. You can also use really inexpensive software to put a regular dvd on an ipod so they can act as a digital copy (thus the dvd over a digital copy would be my choice). Also I dont have an HDTV or bluray player in my bedroom so I can choose to pop the regular dvd in if I want to watch something in bed instead of in the living room. Not to mention portable dvd players or dvd players in vans (for kids) etc etc - dvds still have a lot of advantages and including one I feel is really good.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

As long as the price isn't increased, I don't mind a DVD coming with a Blu-ray at all. If I want to bring the movie over and watch at a friend's, I can then.

I really don't care for Flipper discs though, and Digital Copy discs are a complete waste that I'll never use.

5. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Staying with DVD for now, sure it's a losing battle but there are some great deals to be had now on standard definition and the cost of HD upgrade seems out there.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

certain titles i keep if i upgrade to blu-ray

don't really care if a dvd is pacjaged with a blu-ray disc

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm sticking with DVD.

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I've upgraded to blu but DVDs are still handy for my portable DVD player when I travel. Plus I have more DVD players than Blu Ray players (but not for long mo-hahaha).

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Universal did it best with their Coraline release. A 2 disc set, one disc was blu ray, the second disc was standard DVD and it also had a digital copy. So 3 formats on 2 discs. That should be the model for major releases IMO.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I have no use for the DVD once I have the blu, unless it's something substantial like the DOTD box set. I am finding the digital copies more useful these days, though, as I plan on moving across the country in about a year and I won't be able to take all my movies with me. Having a hard drive with all my favorites will prove very valuable and the digital copy saves me of having to go through the trouble of ripping it or dl'ing it from torrents.

11. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with DVD. Sure, BluRay looks super in hi-def, but I prefer my horror with a little grittiness and more of a film feel than a digital.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Blu-ray would only make that experience better. An increased resolution won't make something that was shot on film more "digital." In fact, the increased clarity would only reveal more of the grittiness and grain that you like and brings it one step closer to the original theatrical experience.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a DVD looks FAR more "digital" than blu-ray does. Actually, most blu-rays don't look digital at all. Look at something like Friday the 13th on blu-ray and you'll see the beautiful film-like grain the transfer has. Like you're watching it on 35mm.

~Matt

14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well then. I will have to try out more discs.

15. Stige

Stige Active Member

one of each just in case
    you never know from what I have read bluray hasn't exploded in the market yet and if it does turn out to be a niche thing then a dvd included is good for when you need a new player and if they decide to stop making them. Still kicking myself because I didn't whip out a credit card and buy a laserdisc player when that was the thing.....

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

It's stupid to buy a Blu-Ray thinking the regular DVD as an extra is a good thing... unless you plan to sell it. So, who does this?

As for me, I'm still staying with DVD until I get rich. And the companies put out good replacements so I don't need the discs I already have.

17. NightAndFog

NightAndFog New Member

Im with Matt89 on this.He spoke the truth ;)
    Once you see a movie on Blu ray (in my case it was the remake of The Last House On The Left) there's no goin' back.No possible return to that old standard format.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

It's good to have a DVD for portable devices and for rooms that don't have blu players. So having a DVD copy is a good thing IMO.

19. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

for those of us who are still waiting, I like the idea of a standard and Blu-ray package--two sep. discs. I'd be buying a lot more DVDs if they came with a Blu-ray for when I eventually upgrade.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't really need the DVD version, most of my friends and family have Blu-ray players. This trend will only continue. Certain situations I'd consider sending in the SD-DVD for a rebate of some sorts.