Do you like DVD with your Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Dec 3, 2009.

?

How would you like your Blu-rays

Poll closed Jan 2, 2010.
  1. The BD disc only with possibility for a rebate for my old DVD.

55 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. A flipper disc with the BD and DVD on separate sides.

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. A package with one BD and one DVD.

47 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. A BD disc with a Digital Copy download.

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. A BD disc with an additional Digital Copy disc.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. I'm staying with DVD.

27 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'll take one of each, or a nice rebate program that won't make me cut all my UPC and PoP's off the covers. I hate cutting up my covers for any reason.

I had to bust out laughing in Best Buy when I saw the sticker on front of Public Enemies (great fucking movie BTW) BD and 2-disc DVD. "Includes a digital copy, over a $15 value for free while supplies last!"
    Over $15? Are you fucking kidding me? The most I've ever seen a DC-SE cost more than a standard dvd is between $7 and $10, and those usually have more extra features as well as the dc (usually a 2nd disc of extras). So I say to Universal, "get the fuck outta here with that dumb shit!"

2. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I've never used a single one of my many "digital copies". I mean, what's the point? Even with an Ipod I'm not sure what anyone gets out of watching a movie on a postage stamp sized screen.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've never used them either, and can't see when I ever would. They're a waste of disc space really...whatever happened to just DOWNLOADING a Digital Copy with a release? Some releases did exactly that 2-3 years ago, and then they started including a worthless disc.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Never used them either. I would never watch a movie on an Ipod. On my way to work I have a portable DVD player which I mainly use for extras or TV shows, which is at least watchable.

And I agree, a disc for a digital download really isn't necessary. I like how we are supposed to be all about the environment, going as far as cutting out chunks of a DVD and Blu Ray case, yet we include these wastes of discs.

5. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I think there must be some bonehead movie execs somewhere who think they are tapping into some kind of new market with this gimick. Who knows, maybe they are getting increased sales on these somehow. But I honestly don't know of a single person who cares in the least about these "digital download" copies.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i've got a portable dvd player in the car. whenever im driving further away than the local corner store i bring along a disc and listen to a commentary track as im driving. with so many commentaries being less and less scene specific these days, i feel like im not missing anything. although i am kind of paranoid of what would happen if i got randomly pulled over. hard to convince average-joe-police-officer that no, i really wasn't watching the movie...

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I think I am going to start going through commentaries on my way to work as I never have time any other time. I just wish they would come out with a portable Blu Ray player now that I am buying a lot of Blu Rays! Although I'm sure it would cost a fortune.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm way too paranoid about DRM on digital copies to ever use them. I'd rather take the time to rip a DVD than jump through some pointless hoops that only helps some bean counter sleep at night.

Many digital download disc only last a year too, then the license runs out. Talk about a waste.

9. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Going to be a late adopter for Blu-Ray. I'm sure it's great, but I just can't afford it right now, and would also rather wait for the price to drop a little further.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I'm very new to Blu-Ray, but a rebate for the old dvd sounds best to me.

11. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I really have no interest in Blu-ray at all. I will keep buying DVD until it dies, and I will keep buying CDs until you have to buy music on iTunes. When I see them play Blu-Rays at Walmart the picture looks too much like a computer graphic or something. artificial. Unless I was seeing something else, I'm sticking with DVD now. I don't have the $$$ to go running out replacing everything because another form of technology has come along.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Don't know why everyone feels if they get into Blu Ray they have to replace their dvd collection. Blu Ray machines play your DVDs, up convert them as well.

Newer releases are cheaper on Blu Ray now and include exclusive extras and cuts of movies. And with the players themselves being found for under $100, upgrading is a no brainer. The amount you save buying newer movies on Blu Ray you will make that $100 back in no time.

I guess some people just fear change even if it is for the better.

As for the comment about the picture looking worse then DVD, that was obviously a problem with their set up. It's a FACT that video and audio is much much better then DVD and the closet you will get to a film print.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, you were at Wal-Mart.

Blu-ray only shows more of what the film actually looks like. They might have had that lame 120hz shit on which makes everything look really fucking odd, but for some reason it's all the rage right now.

I know getting the TV is the initial hurtle, but there are decent blu-ray players out for under $100 and the discs are on the cusp of being the same price (Hell, sometimes cheaper as spawningblue pointed out). I don't know if you have an HDTV or not, so I'm speaking more generally here, but I just don't get people who would rather keep buying an inferior format when the new format has become very affordable. The reason these advancements in video and audio technology sometimes don't get a foothold and we're stuck waiting another 5-10 years for the next thing is because of people who say "I just don't see the point" and "Oh my god the discs are three dollars more!"

14. mlock

mlock Member

I agree completely. Digital Copies are a waste of time to me. As long as I don't have to pay extra for a DVD, then fine with me, but I would want them to be on separate discs, none of that flipper crap!

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Regarding DVDs at the PX overseas, they would also stock the R-Rated instead of the unrated. Not always but most of the time. The worst however was that they would carry Lionsgate's entire crappy DTV horror line. At least our PX did. Things did improve a bit though but then again, I hardly browse the DVD section anymore. Just the blu-rays.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Not to mention the prices sucked 99% of the time.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I remember the first BD displays in Best Buy just looked so fake, like the movie was painted over to add color and all the people looked plastic. Turns out it was shitty demos and TV's not set right, so don't go by what you see in Wal-Mart or Best Buy demos. ABC warehouse probably has shit set up right, or the best is if a friend has a nice set-up to check out a flick on blu.

18. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

staying w/ DVD.
    far too expensive to buy a new TV, blu-ray player, surround sound, and the discs.

19. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

The flat screens have advanced to such a stage that even my big screen that was bought around 2005 seems archiac now, not to mention the sole "picture tube" set remaining in my house. And the prices have really come down now too.

After watching my hi-def sets it would be really tough to go back. VHS tapes are painful to watch now. Even standard def stuff being broadcast on my hi-def set is barely watchable with its visible pixilation and video artifacts.

Long Live Blu Ray, had mine for less than 6 months and I'm sold. Slowly upgrading select titles in my collection. Even the DVDs upconverted on a blu-ray player look tons better.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well all you really need is a new player which can be found for next to nothing now. Yes, you won't be able to really take advantage of the Blu discs, but at least you can buy all your future purchases on Blu and save you from re buying them later on. With most new releases usually cheaper on Blu then DVD it just makes sense. That and these days if you want all the extras or Director's Cuts of movies you need the Blu Ray version.