Do You Like Hitchcock?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2006.

?

Do You Like Hitchcock?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2006.
  1. Yes. He's the true Master of Suspense.

31 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Yeah, he's good.

30 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. He's average.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. No, he's vastly overrated.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Argento is better.

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, do you?

2. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Haven't seen that much of his films.Not planning to either.
    I voted "Argento is better" but ofcourse you can't compare the two.
    In fact I think Hitchcock was more groundbreaking.
    I just "Piace Argento" better :)

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge "gotta buy everything by him" kind of fan, but I haven't seen anything he's made that I didn't enjoy. The only discs that I own which are Hitchcock related is ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS Season 1.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I went with "Yes. He's the true Master of Suspense." because he is. I enjoy how he tells a complete story and manages to create horror and suspense with very small and subtle decisions.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  5. Luna

Luna Guest

Same. I went with "true master" because much like Maybrick said, there isn't a single movie of his I've seen that I haven't liked or loved.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I honestly haven't seen too many by him, but what I've seen I've rather enjoyed. I keep meaning to take the time and acquaint myself with his work a little better but I usually notice something shiny on the ground and forget all else.

7. Noto

Noto Guest

I'm a huge fan of Argento, and even I can't imagine how anyone would believe Hitchcock isn't a much more impressive filmmaker.

The duds that Hitchcock made are better than Argento's lesser films and Argento's best films don't even come close to the best Hitchcock.

8. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

He's one of the greatest of all time...there's not even an inch of doubt about it.

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I may have more love for Argento, but I can't honestly say that Argento is better. In my mind, there are very few movies that rival Vertigo in terms of damn near all things cinematic. It might well be my ultimate favorite film of all time (although I can't be sure ... that title changes like the wind over here ...)

They are both masters of suspense, though. So I went with "yeah, he's good". Meaning "yeah, he's a master and a genius." True master? If you'd just left out that "true" ...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

What onebyone said.

11. Luna

Luna Guest

I'd like to hear the opinions of those who chose "average" and "vastly overrated".

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Definitely Hitchcock, whose timeless films still hold up remarkably today. I think some of his finest films are North by Northwest, Vertigo, Rear Window, and Psycho to name just a few. Argento is one of my favorite directors, but his brilliant work would not be the same if it were not for Hitchcock.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't think Argento is anywhere near Hitchcock.

I have grown a littlw eary of some Hitchcock films though. Rear Window seemed so great ten years ago or so, but I can barely get through it today. I sold on my Psycho DVD because it just left me cold - as iconic as that shower scene is.

On the other hand, I bought and watched Strangers on a Train and adored it. Then I got his silent version of The Lodger and was blown away. I think I have more time for his older work, his black and white material, than I do his later pieces.

Argento is great of course, but he's not really in the same league.

14. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Hitchcock was great. He started everything.

But Argento took it to new heights, and to a level that Hitchcock would never be able to.

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I really like most of the Hitchcock I've seen, but in all honesty it's easier for me to sit down and watch an Argento flick. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think he's better (he's not), but Argento's films are much more entertaining to me. The same goes for that other Hitchcock disciple, Brian De Palma.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Hitchcock is the man period.Who can watch Shadow of a Doubt-North by Northwest-Strangers on a Train or the Birds for that matter and not feel suspense?He is a true pioneer of psychological thrillers.His direction and attention to detail are far above even some of the best that are in business today.Even his dark humor fare such as Trouble with Harry or Family Plot are outstanding films........I for one can get past the usual run of the mill such as Psycho and Vertigo that most base their opinion on.Any fan of film deserves to dig deep into his vaults and see for themselves what they have been missing. Go Hitch ;)

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Love me some Hitch. But I must say that I don't enjoy the technicolor, star-powered films near as much as the earlier and later films. For instance, during his popular hey-day where he had either Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart as his star, I find the films tedious to sit through. If those are the only ones you've seen, do yourself a huge favor and rent the titles you rarely (if ever) see aired on TV.

And I agree with Luna: Can we please hear from the folks who don't love Hitch? I'd be more interested in reading their reasons for not liking him as much as the rest of us. :)

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Agree here. I much prefer "lesser" Hitch films like Saboteur and Lifeboat to Vertigo and Psycho. In fact, Vertigo rather annoys me.

Any fan of North by Northwest should really check out Saboteur. Similar themed film, only in reverse (this one starts in California and moves to New York). It also ends on a national monument like NxNW.

19. sacateca

sacateca Guest

There's not a single movie of his that i've seen and liked. Couldn't care less if he was groundbreaking or not.

20. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Yes. He's the true Master of Suspense.