Do you Own any Horror Reference/Review Books

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeah, if you read the checklist at the end of the book, Thrower mentions he has a list the same size already lined up for Volume II. There was also talk about it online several years ago, but its been pretty silent since. Thought maybe with the reprint, there would be sparked interest in Volume II.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

After starting Vol.I four or five times since I bought it five years ago, I finally ploughed through Vol.I of Nightmare USA this summer. Great, thorough read!

Although no definitive word about Vol.II's release, Thrower has mentioned online it would come sometime after his Jess Franco book comes out, and the first volume of that titled Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jess Franco (it too is gonna be split up into two volumes, with vol.I covering 1959-1974) comes out November 20th of this year. So here's hoping there's some word about it arriving in 2015. And he's actually with a different publisher for the Jess Franco books (Strange Attractor Press) so maybe Nightmare USA Vol.II will be published under them rather than FAB.

3. second301

second301 New Member

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Amazon Marketplace has Heavy Metal Movies for $10 + $3.99 shipping.

Had my eye on this for a while, it's mostly been $25, so this is a really good price point.

5. CPT HOOK

My $10 copy of Heavy Metal Movies arrived today.

This book is huge. If I were a cop and interrogating a suspect, I might consider using this to smack 'em around instead of a phone book.

And even though it was listed as USED, there's nothing to suggest it ever was. Looks absolutely brand spankin' new. Seeing the $34.95 price on the back, I got a heck of a deal. Looks like the seller still has 14 copies available, definitely worth picking up if you haven't already.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Was the seller "cargo largo"? May have to pick this up as well.

7. CPT HOOK

Yes, that's the one.

8. CPT HOOK

Did anyone here order / receive Nightmare U.S.A. from Amazon.com?

I placed an order for it on Tuesday when it was $47.59. It says temporarily out of stock, but considering this was a UK release, I'm wondering what the odds are that they'll get it in stock?

9. CPT HOOK

Nevermind, says they'll have it back in stock on Monday. [​IMG]

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

11. Angelman

I also broke down and got Nightmare USA. So far, absolutely killer. Loving it. Plowing through the movie index, too.

12. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

13. CPT HOOK

Even though I was reluctant to spend $47 on this, once it arrived it looks like money well spent. This book is gigantic. I've flipped through it a couple times, but haven't actually sat down to read it yet.

I want to have seen all the major films before I read about them, and I've seen a lot of them, but there are still a few holes to fill. Taking a quick look, I need to check out Frozen Scream, Axe, and Kidnapped Coed, plus I already ordered the RareFlix triple feature with Molly And The Ghost. After I watch those, I should be set for the first 250 pages. Severin is supposedly putting Axe and Kidnapped Coed on blu-ray, so hopefully they hurry it up!

I'm currently halfway through They Came From Within, then I want to read The Disaster Artist, but after that the plan is to dive into Nightmare USA.

14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Mine arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. I'd held off because of the price, but I love grindhouse horror, so I finally gave in. My first thought when I held this monster tome was: "Why did I wait?" It's well-written, insightful, beautifully illustrated, and comprehensive - an obviously labour of love. You can always play the 'why didn't he go more in depth about that movie' or 'I disagree with his assessment of that movie' card, as you can with EVERY reference book, but on this particular subject, I'm convinced that this is the book to beat.

15. Angelman

You nailed it. Amazon had a discount code for all books, like 30% off, so I picked it up. Glad I did. More than the internet, I get hooked on movies by reading about them in books like this. I'm loving all the Don Dohler stuff.

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was surprised that the book doesn't devote more text to the infamous Bloodsucking Freaks and the wonderful Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (which badly needs a Blu-ray release, Synapse!). And the fact that the author does not seem to find much enjoyment in The Dark raised my eyebrows. But it's such a good book - where else could you find so many insights about the productions of movies such as The Child, Last House on Dead End Street, Don't Go In the House, Messiah of Evil, and The Strangeness? Humorously though, the author mentions being unable to contact David Hillman, the director of that last movie, for the book. Maybe because David Hillman had in the meantime become Melanie Anne Phillips? :p

17. Angelman

Probably!

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Had to pick up Nightmare USA today. $46 at amazon.ca. I doubt it will get lower than that. Also picked up Carrie: Studies in horror film for $11.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm reading this book now... great resource! I'd seriously never heard of some of these films before.

It's neat that Day of the Reaper is in there too. I pre-ordered the Blu-ray from SRS recently, so I look forward to checking that out. It was limited to 100 copies and already sold out.

20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    the book seems to be out of stock. Sounds like a great read. That's cool that Reaper is in it. I worked on 2 of Tim Ritter's films.