Do You Still Read Fangoria?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 6, 2010.

?

Do You Still Read Fangoria?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2010.
  1. Yes, have been reading them since the 80s!

24 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Yes, newer reader but I like them.

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. No, I've always read a different horror rag.

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. No, gave up on them awhile ago.

45 vote(s)
    39.5%
  5. Print? I get my horror information online!

34 vote(s)
    29.8%
  6. What's a "Fangoria"?

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

With news all over the net that FANGORIA may be closing its doors after decades of horror journalism, it's time to ask: to they have the readership to be missed? Do you still read them? Or more broadly, do you still read horror magazines in print anymore?

2. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Nah, dropped my subscription in the very early 90s. Got sick of reading about how awesome every new movie was going to be.

May have picked up a few horror mags since then, but not anymore. All the information I need is right here.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've only bought one issue in my entire life, back in high school, and it was cluttered with pages and pages of bullshit about the first Ring movie (the remake). That was enough to turn me off. I don't buy magazines. I truly think they're a dying form with all you can find on great sites like Shocktillyoudrop, Dread Central, Bloody Disgusting, etc.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i was aware of fangoria growing up, but never actually found an issue of it to buy. after i got online, i just stuck with that. i've never liked magazines. and to be honest, sites like shocktillyoudrop and bloodydisgusting have never been big draws for me. the only times i ever visit them is when somebody here links to an article there. i'd been following dread central as far back as when they were called creature corner, up untill a few years ago. maybe its my changing tastes, but it seemed like when control switched from johnny butane to uncle creepy, the site became a lot more fanboyish. article after article about action figures and comic books. not really my thing. i still pop by every couple of weeks or so, but i certainly don't rely on them for news. as far as im concerned, if there's something worth knowing in the horror circle, it will appear on these boards, right here.

the sites i check daily for news/reviews are as follows, in order:

horror digital
    the digital bits
    dvdbeaver
    dvdtalk

...and then i'm done.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I used to buy Fangoria. Stopped doing so in the late 90's. Never had a subscription though. I really got tired of collecting horror magazines. Takes up too much room around the house and many of them aren't even worth the cover price. Websites are better for me and they don't fill up closets.

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I bought one issue in 2003 with Freddy vs. Jason and it was mostly crappy. That magazine is not for me. Maybe in '88, sure... but not now.

7. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I started reading Fango in the early 80s but I stopped in the mid 1990s. It got to expensive me to keep buying. It was pretty good to me in the 80s, but as the 90s went on I don't think the magazine was as good. I remeber reading the Video Eye of Dr. Cyclops and hoping the local mom and pop stores would get the latest trashy videos I'd read about. Most of the times they did.

I haven't subscribed to a magazine for nearly 10 years. A lot of them are just way to much$$$.

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The first one I bought was August 1994 and the last one I bought was June 1999. In between those issues I bought 3 other issues of Fangoria. I seldom even look at this one in the bookstore unless I really like what's on the cover or something.

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Loyal follower. I have every issue and I've been a long time subscriber. Even though I love online news and horror sites, I will never give up this magazine unless it stop publishing.

10. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I gave up on them awhile ago, a few years or so for the print magazine, except for an occasional purchase, but I haven't even done that in over a year.

I still read them online though, until about 3 or 4 months ago, or if they had one of those obnoxious ads that blasted sound as soon as the page loaded (I quickly learned that I couldn't visit the site while at work...). I emailed them about the ads once, and actually received a very polite response that they'd be down soon. And they were, but came back at about the same time the article text turned gray. That's when I gave up completely.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I browse through it in the store if I see it on the shelf...which usually takes a whole of 5-10 minutes. Do I read it? No. When's the last time I actually bought an issue? I honestly can't even remember.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Used to buy it fanatically. As years passed by, I became less and less interested. The reason: Good horror films weres not represented at all, just bad films, mostly mainstram. I mean, if you are really interested in horror, FANGORIA has become a very VERY bad source of information.

13. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I still glance at it at work when the new once comes in...but I stopped buying it and reading anything in it almost 10 years ago now...which is a shame because it was so important to me in my youth.

14. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

I still buy Fangoria sporadically. Last issue looked pretty shit-tastic so I grabbed a Metal Hammer instead.

15. Spit

Spit Active Member

The last issue I picked up was the Quarantine issue, and I was unimpressed. Plus someone has pulled out the poster that was a supposed to be inside. Fangoira has been failing off for a long time, and I've been buying less and less of them over the last few years.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Print is dead. Long live the new flesh!

17. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I have been a subscriber for more years than I can remember (back when they used to include the Castle Fangor wraparound for subscribers) and will, like Harry Warden and I guess nobody else here, continue until the hopefully far distant end. I still love print magazines and Fangoria is still the best, although it isn't what it used to be. Hopefully the addition of the new editor will shake things up and put the other contenders like Rue Morgue and Horrorhound in their place!

18. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

No respectable horror fan reads fangoria anymore.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Used to buy them occasionally and would always skim them in the store.Two years ago a friend gave me a subscription for Christmas and he renewed it this year.While I will say that the cover stories are not always to my liking I think that has more to do with the latest crop of horror films and not Fangoria itself.They do cover a lot of indies and the review sections often alert me to under the radar films that I will seek out.I also like the retro horror interviews with cast and crew members of vintage drive-in horrors that I recall from my youth.So ,yes,I'll admit it,I read it and I enjoy it.

Used to grab the U.K. import DARK SIDE too but,like a lot of mags in recent years,they finally folded.Online sites have gutted magazines,times change.The trick is to find GOOD sites and ignore the dross.

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Bah. It's still a decent horror mag. I've been reading it again lately and while it's not what it used to be, there is always something worth reading. I like longer articles and a good spread of reviews. The issues I own date back to around 1984.

A new editor could make all of the difference, so I'll look forward to the next one.

I can't really say that for Horrorhound :rolleyes: Not really sure why people love that one so much.

Rue Morgue is another one I like to buy, but they are pricey and kind of hit and miss.

I actually prefer to read stuff like Shock Cinema if I'm going to go the fan-zine route.