Do You Still Read Fangoria?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 6, 2010.

?

Do You Still Read Fangoria?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2010.
  1. Yes, have been reading them since the 80s!

24 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Yes, newer reader but I like them.

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. No, I've always read a different horror rag.

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. No, gave up on them awhile ago.

45 vote(s)
    39.5%
  5. Print? I get my horror information online!

34 vote(s)
    29.8%
  6. What's a "Fangoria"?

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Don't think I've picked one up in over 20 years. My focus got to be more on older films, so they didn't seem to have what I was interested in. I've glanced through RUE MORGUE a few times, the focus seems a little too "young" for me.

It's not exactly horror, but I subscribe to VIDEO WATCHDOG. That's about it. Kind of lost interest in most of the smaller publications because they just started interviewing more and more obscure people. It was obvious they were pretty much out of material.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I bought every issue throughout the 80s and early 90s. After that only occasionally and I stopped alltogether in 2000.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I suspect that happened more from fallout over the plagiarism scandal that rocked the internet a few years back than from a natural decline of subscribers as is the case with most other periodicals. It was found that a large percentage of their issues were taken word for word and without permission from a large variety of horror websites.

4. Fumi

Fumi Member

Never bought it. Might have been nice back in the '80s, but these days I'm completely uninterested in mainstream remakes.

5. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I still buy it faithfully every time it hits newsstands. Even though it covers films that are often dreck, I feel those films deserve coverage because over tiome as I have looked through back issues it becomes a document of the state of the industry, rather than a document for what "cool" fims were made. Besides, I get as much of a kick out of Dr. Cyclop's bashing the hell out of a lame DTV effort as I do about reading about the great films that are forthcoming. Besides, the trick is to look for the articles that bear the "Fango Seal of Approval". What they are basically saying with those are that the flick is pretty cool, and as yet I haven't been steered wrong. I go to Rue Morgue for the state of horror culture (Frankly as an art follower i feel that the art world is guilty of snobbery for ignoring some of these people covered), and I get Scary Monsters as I feel it covers old time nostalgia for the classics, and is basically the "Good Olde Days" of horrordom- yes, that is a compliment.

6. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I still buy it, but I haven't made a point of getting each and every issue...I loved it when it first came out, then I got fed up with all the wrestling coverage and stopped..I started buying it again when the 20th anniversary of Night of the Living Dead came around, and stuck with it through the early 90's, when most of the movies coming out stopped interesting me...That, and the fact that they praised every shit movie that came along, then 6 issues later they'd trash the same movie in their review columns...

Last couple of years they seemed to be doing more retro stuff, and they seemed to be pretty up on covering dvd releases etc. (even if only capsules), but that seems to be less and less...Nowadays, if I'm getting sick or something and need bedside trash literature I'll look for it, but I won't go out of my way unless there's something spectacular being covered.

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I was a subscriber this past year (my last issue was the one with the Wolfman cover) but I don't think I'm renewing ... I'll probably just buy a copy now and then when there's something in there that interests me.

I've enjoyed all the issues, but I just haven't had much time to read any of them :( When I get my time back, I'll consider subscribing again.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My grandfather bought my first issue for me (#8 Zombie cover). I started subscribing with issue #13 and have been ever since. I collected lots of different horror mags over the years and while I rarely look at back issues I'm still glad to have them. Anyone else out there remember the old "Castle Fangor" wraparound covers that Fangoria used to put around their subscription magazines?

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Fangoria is expensive enough just using American dollars, I couldn't even imagine trying to afford a subscription with the way the Icelandic economy is right now. The exchange rate must be grotesque for you! :eek:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  10. xdiggler

xdiggler Member

Used to be a loyal reader in the 80's, but it became too expensive and too many "fluff" press kit articles. Kind of like Circus magazine for horror.

I do like Horrorhound. It is a bit cheesy, but it has a fanzine feel to it and great retro coverage on the classics.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I seem to recall something about that.When I was picking them up the DVD boom was just about to blossom and the websites were still kinda in their infancy.Don't think I have one that's terribly current.Used to see it in specialty shops.

12. mlock

mlock Member

For the past couple years I made it a habit of picking up the October issue (along with Rue Morgue) only. Can't really justify a yearly subscription unless of course if it was a gift.:)

13. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I used to get every issue of Fangoria (and Gorezone for as long as it was around) in the late '80s - early '90s (my high school - early college years). It got too expensive, so I stopped buying (and there wasn't much happening in horror for a while pre-Scream).

Nowadays, I browse through it whenever I see an ish on the stands, but I only buy very rarely (usually if there's an article on something I'm way into, like Godzilla). I get my horror news from the Gorezone.net site (no relation to the old mag).

14. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I make a trip to Barnes And Noble once a month and plop down in one of the comfy chairs with all of the horror mags in hand (Hound,Fango,Rue Morgue) to peruse them. I don't generally read the articles,(if I have money) and pick one to buy before leaving.

At around $8.99 a pop,it had better be one fucking excellent issue-I could snag a movie for that!

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I always wanted to get into collecting one of these horror mags but the price always steered me away. Anything over $5 is too much for a magazine in my opinion. Same reason I stopped reading Wizard which is a quarter of the size it used to be and twice as much. Makes no sense, magazines are already struggling to compete with the Internet with their outdated news, no reason they should be the same price as a novel.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Even though there are better horror mags out and I get most of my reviews/news online I still buy and read Fangoria.

Sad that the days of print media are numbered, when we are all old we will look back and remember when there used to be horror mags.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Voted: Yes, newer reader but I like them. I occasionally buy they're magazine. I get Fangoria, Rue Morgue & a few others.

18. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I love Fangoria Magazine!! I have collected it since I first got into Horror Movies years ago and I still do now!! I remember back in the Horror Boom of the 80'S, Fango was THE Source to find out all of the Great Info on the Great Old and Upcoming Horror Movies and it got this young Horror Fan into so many other Horror Subgenres!! So, Fango has, and always will have, a special place in my heart. I don't care much for Rue Morgue, it caters too much to the Goth/Metal Crowd for me. I do really enjoy HorrorHound and I try to buy that one when I can or if it is a Special Issue. However, Fangoria is my Favorite and always will be!! I still have so many of the Old Fangoria Collectible Issues and the Classic Fangoria Magazines like the one with Fulci's Zombie on the Cover and the Friday The 13TH Covers!! I love Fangoria and I always will support it!! They still do some Great Retrospectives on Classic Horror Movies and some of the Covers are still pretty Wild and Cool to have and display in my Horror Collection as well!!

19. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I don't buy magazines since I work at a store that sells them but whenever I choose to read one on my break, it's always Rue Morgue. They always have some cool cover story, they review lots of old obscure titles (It Came From The Basement and The Gore-met are two great columns) plus they have awesome retrospectives. Fangoria, to me, is like the Jessica Simpson of horror magazines (no one cares anymore) while Rue Morgue is more like Lady Gaga (even if you hate it, you can still find it interesting).

20. geeare

geeare Guest

i have been reading them since the 80's but it's not like i get every issue. i'll pick one up every now and then for bathroom reading material.