Do you watch the end credits?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 29, 2012.

?

Do you watch the end credits?

Poll closed Sep 28, 2012.
  1. I stop before, once the plot is resolved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I stop once the credits start

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I watch a little in case there are bloopers/extras

25 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. I wait until the cast list passes

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. I watch until the theme song finishes

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. I stick it out 'til the last frame

49 vote(s)
    54.4%
  1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'd be curious to know, of those who stay through the whole thing, do you actually READ them? or do you just sit there waiting, listening to the music, getting your coat on, talking to friends, etc? even when i sit through the whole thing, i certainly don't read them. not out of any disrespect to those who made it. but seriously what do i get from reading the name of the hairstylist or the wardrobe consultant? what do THEY get out of my reading their name? do they care? even if i were to read it, i wouldn't remember it a second later, because i'd be reading the name of the key grip.

it seems to me that the credits are more of a resume/legal/personal thankyou thing. such-and-such a person can prove they worked on a film because their name is in the credits. thats important in helping them get more work, i would imagine, or in ensuring they receive proper treatment legally. it also allows the higher ups (directors, producers, what-have-you) to express their gratitude to those who worked for them, which is all fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with me.

im by all means interested in those who work on making the film, but we have tools like IMDB for that, and if that doesn't work, I can specifically watch the end credits on dvd or blu ray in order to locate an individual. but i don't see any point in sitting in a theatre reading over an enormous list of names, almost none of which will mean anything to me or stay with me beyond the time it takes to read them.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I sit there still and silent reading them.

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Normally I stick it out if it's a cool film or something in the theatre. If I really hated it, I'll bail more quickly. Although, at a festival or something I'll wait unless I'm late for another film. Generally I try not to get up too fast like all the inconsiderate wanks around me to weren't paying attention the film to begin wiith.

4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Most end credits are simply obligatory with a list of EVERYONE who did ANYTHING. However, there are some end credits that for me seem like they are still being directed. The best examples are Stanley Kubrick's credits. The way the credits are cut to the music, and also the fact that he would always have a "the end" title after them, makes me feel the film is still meant to be seen.

5. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

I stay till the lights go up unless the music is too horrible.

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

One of the best end credits created can be seen in the movie The Cavern (aka WIthIN, 2005). Never seen anything like it. Worth a rental for that alone.

7. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

I fall asleep 20 minutes into the movie.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

At the theatre I usually know ahead of time whether I will stick around or not from reading forums, that is if there is something at the end or not. Comic book films are almost always a guarantee. Sometime though the scene comes at the beginning of the credits so I'll watch it and then leave. Then again this made me miss the very end scene of the Avengers, the one after the credits, because apparently advanced screenings did not have that scene so I read there was nothing at the very end, just the scene at the beginning of the credits.

I definitely don't stay to read them, nor do I really read them while waiting. Some times there is good stuff in the thank you section though, usually with comedy films such as Kevin Smiths' flicks.

At home I always fast forward until the end, just in case. I remember one time I found out from a friend that I missed something at the end of a movie (Daredevil I think), so from that put on I always fast forward to the end just in case.

9. startide

startide Member

Of course. I might FF them if I'm watching something, but I always watch them and it pisses me off when they are left off (often happens on TV and they go straight to the dist. card).

I'm OCD. I have to know everything. Most people wouldn't know who Barbara Harris is or what she does, but I do! :lol:

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You don't have a choice in the theater. People push you, they all want to get out, and I've tried to stay through the credits but there's not enough room to sit and let people pass by you. It's like that scene in Fright Night- try staying still with that wave knocking you over and then getting angry with you because you're not moving too.

Same here. I almost always watch the credits at home because of the music. Unless it's a newer movie. Good example of a winner to stay through = May. Excellent songs. But, an older movie, could you honestly turn off until it's over...

Wait... I sense a new thread forming...

11. Sam

Sam Member

I usually get up and go when the credits start rolling unless I see early (instant) indication of blooper reels or similar tacked-on material. Haven't really sat through until the last frame since I was a child. But, back then it was more because friends and I had time to kill until parents came to pick us up.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Until the very last frame. For me it enhances the experience, but I cannot explain it further.

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm actually kinda "other" here although I picked "watch a little in case of extras/bloopers". I typically fast forward until the end in case there is one last scene. This happens a lot in comedys.

14. MisterMaggot

MisterMaggot New Member

I watch all the way through, always have...perhaps out of respect for the people involved...or maybe just to be sure I don't miss something after they roll. But it's something I've always done. I don't go to the cinema anymore...the audiences have gotten distracting to such a degree I just don't enjoy the experience anymore. But then, I don't need to, my collection is outa this world.

Anyone remember a time when people used to applaud after a movie?