Doctor Strange (2016) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Oct 27, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Doctor Strange (2016)

Directed by Scott Derrickson

Marvel are back once again and are introducing one of their long running comic book characters Doctor Steven Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch). With this more mystical property they had the opportunity to do something a little different and they even brought the director of Sinister on board. However what we ended up with is a very typical mid tier Marvel film that follows all their typical story telling conventions and broad tone. I guess they are thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it but they really have to start mixing it up a little more, especially for these off shoot titles. They could take a page from Fox with their risk on Deadpool that paid off and out did their more conventional X-Men film of the same year at the box office.

As far as the film goes, it is well made with a good cast who do their jobs well. I am no fan of Benedict Cumberbatch but he is competent enough here and is surrounded by better actors (Rachel McAdams, Tilda Swinton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mads Mickelson) to lift his game. The combat scenes are shot terribly with a lot of fast editing and cut away shots that make it hard to see what is going on most of the time which is a shame.

It was an entertaining enough to pass the time but their wasn't much to hold onto and nothing that sticks out as overly memorable. I do not think this will be a run away hit like Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man but should satisfy enough people that it will not be the last wee see of Doctor Strange.

5.5/10

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The problem with the origin story of Golden and Silver Age superheroes is that they all primarily hit the same beats. Guardians and Ant Man work as well as they do because those are of a far more recent vintage. Also, Guardians has the benefit of being an ensemble piece, and if you think about it, Ant Man was a movie sequel that never had a first part. If it had followed the story of Hank Pym then it would have been just as cookie cutter as the rest.

But now that the first Strange is out of the way, I'm looking forward to a sequel where the REALLY wacked out stories begin.

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I just realised that you americans do not get this till thursday

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You can assume from now on that the US will get every big budget Hollywood film a week after the rest of the world does. Because that is how it works nowadays.

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I finally got around to seeing this today and I enjoyed it. I would personally give it a 7.5 outta 10 or maybe even an 8

Zombie Dude likes this.