Doctor X

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Feb 15, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You know, you can never really tell what you're going to find when you dig into these classic horror collections. Some films you've not seen for years, some are new to you, but all are known by their reputations to one degree or another.

The "Hollywood Legends of Horror Collection" contains six films: Mark of the Vampire, Mask of Fu Manchu, Mad Love, The Devil-Doll, Doctor X, and Return of Dr. X. It's such a mine of cinema magic.

I've written about Mad Love before, it's a very good film indeed. But I'm going to say that when all is said and done, seeing the color print of Doctor X is probably the highlight of this fine set. The early technicolor treatment (also seen in Mystery of the Wax Museum, if you have that disc) is just astonishing. Easily worth the price of admission alone.

The film itself is pretty damn good too, with an unbelievable transformation sequence. The monster in this one is as good as anything Hollywood was inventing at the time.

I've watched the movie a couple times over the last week, this last time with the commentary on. The guy talks a tad too fast, but it's interesting nonetheless. It is the film though that takes the breath away. How fantastic!

Try to see it on the biggest screen you can (I've done a plasma viewing and a projected one, and it's simply out of this world blown up as large as possible). Either way it'll just make your head spin though.

Wonderful entertainment this. Go grab it.

2. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

Great movie! Apparently Max Factor did the make up. The sets are incredible in this film as well, and it is one of the first films to hint at a very taboo subject back then, cannabilism.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

SYNTHETIC FLESH!

One of my favorites because it perfectly captures pulp logic. Cops can't figure out who the psychopath that's been cutting up and eating women is? That's easy; just lock up all the usual suspects (ie mad scientists) in a remote castle with dangerous lab equipment, allow the number one suspect himself to tie everyone up along with Fay Wray and stag murder scenes on a dark and stormy night. All in the name of SCIENCE!

I miss movie logic like that... I really do. :(

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Nah, they couldn't get awau with it today - people would call them "plot holes" and moan and moan and moan - rather than letting the delerium transport them to a better place. :D