Does the Zooming on the new FRIDAY THE 13TH disc bother you?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 3, 2009.

?

How do you feel about the zoomed in image on the new FRIDAY THE 13TH discs?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2009.
  1. Unacceptable. I will not be buying until it is fixed.

67 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Unfortunate, but I can't hold off buying any longer.

28 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. I don't really care either way.

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. It's noticable, but not that significant.

18 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. I can't even tell the difference.

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Again, it WASN'T PARAMOUNT who did this. And no I'm not "giving Paramount a bj" here, it's just that it's wrong to accuse Paramount of doing this when they clearly got the print from Warner (the original "uncut" R2 has the EXACT same framing as the new DVD/blu-ray from Paramount). The framing changes throughout the film, so this was CLEARLY intentional and not a "fuck up". The movie still looks perfectly framed, just a little tighter. You can't judge the whole transfer by those few screengrabs in rhett's review. If it were an issue or a "fuck up" (like the Back to the Future trilogy), the original DVD from Warner would've most likely been recalled and replaced with Paramount's original framing.

And Erick is right, a lot of 1.85 titles in the US are 1.78 in Europe/UK. And more and more companies are matting films to 1.78 so yes, they fill the entire frame of a 16x9 television. When done right (the way most studios like Warner do it) 1.78 is actually slightly more opened up than 1.85. They don't take a 1.85 framed film and zoom it so it fits 1.78, they simply remove some of the matting so it fits the entire 16x9 frame of the TV. So in essence you're getting an image that actually has a slight bit more image on the top and bottom of the frame. It makes no difference really, it's just so that the movies fill the entire frame of a 16x9 TV.

~Matt

2. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

Is it blasphemy to say that the Friday films series aren't high art and that if I happen to miss a couple of leaves or a patch of leg hair then so be it?

I don't want to second guess the DOP but I really wonder what the criterion was that he used to frame all the shots.

3. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Of note, I watched The Final Chapter last night and when kid Jason popped out of the water in a flashback, half his arm was missing in that too, so I'm pretty sure Matt is right and the old Paramount discs were the wrong ones, as much as I think they're probably superior.