Does the Zooming on the new FRIDAY THE 13TH disc bother you?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 3, 2009.

?

How do you feel about the zoomed in image on the new FRIDAY THE 13TH discs?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2009.
  1. Unacceptable. I will not be buying until it is fixed.

67 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Unfortunate, but I can't hold off buying any longer.

28 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. I don't really care either way.

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. It's noticable, but not that significant.

18 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. I can't even tell the difference.

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Does the uncut UK DVD have the same problems with cropping?:confused:

this one>[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Hey, shithead. The image you posted isn't popping up, shithead, but if you mean the R2 Warner release, it's culled from the same place, shithead.

3 years I've been reading the name "shithead" and it never ceases to amaze me. It's like he's a character from a Rob Zombie movie.

3. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Now that's harsh...:lol: Yeah the Warner R2, that's it.

Thanks.

4. geeare

geeare Guest

well i watched this last night and I prolly wouldn't have noticed the zooming if i didn't read about it here first. there are a couple scenes that the actors feet are cut off and other scenes where there are items at the bottom of the screen that are half cut off and you know they were fully in the scene in the other version, i.e. the top of a canoe. anyway, the transfer looks great and I'm glad i just went out and bought it anyway.

5. sgtpeppers

sgtpeppers Guest

It sucks but doesn't really bother me that much. I wouldnt have noticed it anyway. I have the R2 uncut version so thats the way I've watched for several years.

6. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Noticed a slight difference, but it's actually far from being a bother. What I noticed was that the compositions of shots was never thrown off by the zooming. If anything, some of the shots looked NICER because of it.

Hopefully someone finds out what's been going on.

7. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Noticed a slight difference, but it's actually far from being a bother. What I noticed was that the compositions of shots was never thrown off by the zooming. If anything, some of the shots looked NICER because of it.

Hopefully someone finds out what's been going on.

8. Stige

Stige Active Member

watched it today and should have answered not at all , picture looks very good nice detail and everything is alright .....and I can baarely wait for the blu's of 2 and 3 to fall into my postbox!

9. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

I noticed this too. Some of the shots DO look better. I think this may be the OAR and the old DVD may have been zoomed out a bit.

10. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I got the blu ray and watched it before this whole 'zooming' thing came up and honestly I didn't notice it at all. It was too taken with how great the picture was.

11. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I have to happily admit here that I am an unabashed Friday The 13th whore. I bought the original tapes, then the first DVD releases, then the box set (at least I sold off the first dvd's when I got that), and now the Blu-Ray and the new releases for parts 2 and 3, along with the new His Name Was Jason documentary. I didn't know about this framing issue when I picked them all up (Today, actually), but have the feeling that I still would have bit. This is despite the fact that I know I will be picking up the Blus for 2 and 3 when they come out as well, even if they have the same features as the ones I just bought! I'm just an addict for this series, at least up for parts1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. I hate 8, 9, 10, and am lukewarm on 6. I guess I am Paramount's ideal consumer for these...regardless of the indifference to the consumer, I keep bending over for more. At least I'm honest!

12. Vortex

Vortex Member

Yes it bothers me and I won't buy until there's at least a proper explanation.

13. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I don't know if it's any consolation, but I just checked my old 4:3 "full frame" VCD of Friday the 13th from Hong Kong (Warner) against the Blu-ray screen shots here and the Blu-ray does contain a significant amount of additional information on both sides compared to the VCD. I'm not sure what the "correct" framing is, but at least the print used for the Blu-ray isn't simply a 4:3 picture with the top and bottom cropped.

14. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

A poster over at F13 claims that the new disc is the properly framed version...

"The new disc has the proper framing. When the MPAA ordered the film cut in 1980, they went back and edited the original negatives, as the film was not framed for theatres yet. And they actually slipped up while doing that and left more picture seen that the director intended. You'll notice the original, uncut version has always been framed like the new DVD. Look at the region 2 DVD. It's the same as this new one. I think the USA R rated version was the "wrong" one all along, and didn't have the picture quite as close in as originally intended."

A possibility?

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I've been seeing this as well. I have been used to watching the R2 uncut version for some time now, and since the matting/composition is the same as the blu-ray, it makes no difference to me how much is different than the first couple of domestic releases. I picked up the blu-ray today and look forward to watching it.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah same here. I've had the R2 for about 5 years now and I never noticed the "cropping" until rhett posted the comparisons.

~Matt

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Of course you didn't. It takes the trained eye of a fan (of which you're clearly not) in order to notice such things. ;)

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Well there you all go. Quite yer bitchin' and enjoy the movie :D

It's Blu! It's Uncut! It's the way the Sean S. Cunningham intended it to be viewed! WooHoo!

"But I'm used to seeing half a tree on the far left in that one scene, and seeing more of the beach along the bottom in the final fight scene!"

Just stop it! :lol:

I got my Blu in the mail today and intend on lovin' every minute of it late night tonight :glasses:

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I lied. I've never actually seen Friday the 13th... :lol:

But yes, let's ALL just enjoy the movie! It looks fucking GLORIOUS!!! Indulge in its high-definition beauty.

~Matt

20. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'm just saying that poster's claim is just a possibility. Worth checking into, if all "uncut" versions have this same matting. Who knows.