Does the Zooming on the new FRIDAY THE 13TH disc bother you?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Feb 3, 2009.

?

How do you feel about the zoomed in image on the new FRIDAY THE 13TH discs?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2009.
  1. Unacceptable. I will not be buying until it is fixed.

67 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Unfortunate, but I can't hold off buying any longer.

28 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. I don't really care either way.

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. It's noticable, but not that significant.

18 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. I can't even tell the difference.

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

So much for quality control. No sale.

2. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

So pretty much what I said a few pages back. I figured something was going on, especially when I watched my copy of the disc and noticed that the compositions were actually IMPROVED by the zooming rather than compromised.

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Well I just got done watching the blu-ray and I first want to say, it looks absolutely fantastic in 1080p. That said, there was not one scene that felt compromised or cramped in any way. I'm fine with the composition of this release and I feel any of you who have the opportunity to see this in hi-def and skip because of the trivial missing information (which seems to be arguable now that it was the correct framing), you will be cheating yourself out of a real treat for horror/slasher fans. I don't see anything wrong with rhett's review in pointing out the differences, but this isn't even an issue as far as I can tell. Probably was a mistake the first couple of times on DVD seeing that those were actually hybrid cuts of the film anyway and not the true "R" rated theatrical cut.

Friday the 13th fans rejoice, your film has never looked better!

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

The river is deep and the river is wide, hallelujah
    Milk and honey on the other side, hallelujah

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a really good point. I forgot that the original DVD release had extended Annie's death but cut Mrs. Voorhees' death even further. This whole issue is starting to make more and more sense. (It's like where did they even find that print for the first DVD?) And Paramount only owned the R-rated cut anyway, they never had access to the uncut version until this release.

~Matt

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

This plus the fact that the film is NOT uncut. No sale here.

7. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Not uncut? Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? :confused:

8. Mutilated Prey

Yeah, what are you talkin' about?

9. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Please don't tell me you believe that crap about Claudette's death scene and that all of the off screen murders were in the REAL director's cut. That's just fan talk... Not even, it's just spread by delusional nut jobs like this sad motherfucker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6GpoMFhfs&feature=related

:evil: This was really annoying to me. Add to the fact nobody corrected him. :mad:

Oh and if it is anybody on this site...

gasp... Bahahahahahaha...

I'm sorry :(
    :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  10. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

lmfao!!!!

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

nah, you were right the 1st time, that guy is a nutball. I like how he says that he is very excited, but he looks bored and sleepy. Or perhaps he is very low key, but how would he talk if he wasn't very excited? Would he just slip into a coma? I want answers damn it!

12. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Ehhh...
    That was mean of me. I'm just frustrated at the misinformation going around.
    Why should I care? Ignorance is bliss :D

13. Mutilated Prey

Just got thru watchin' the uncut Blu, and man does it look sweet. Nice and crisp compared to the previous releases. The darker sceens have a tad bit of grain (kinda like Black Christmas) but that goes with the territory of these older films - not gonna complain. If you blow this off because of all the "zooming" hoopajoop you will truly be missing out.

14. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I watched mine tonight as well. Best time I have had with this movie in years. It looked and sounded great...and as I many have said before, the composition looked better than ever. First time I have "gotten lost" (just sat and watched the movie and did not let anything else distract me) in Friday the 13th in probably 20 years or so.

15. jaffa

jaffa Guest

Its no good saying "it doesnt bother me cos i wasnt gonna buy it anyway" the point is that PARAMOUNT have messed it up big time.Can we presume its going to happen again with other releases?I hope not because it does look awfull and i hope director Sean Cunningham plays up hell about it.I wont be touching this Blu-Ray thats for certain.

What i do want is an explanation from PARAMOUNT as to WHY it was done.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It actually doesn't look bad and it is a possibility that this is Cunningham's preferred version of the film. The Warner edition on R2 from 2003 has the EXACT same framing. Did you bother to read any of the other posts in this thread?

~Matt

17. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Yeah, it has to be the director's preferred version because the scene composition is too perfect. The movie has a more professional look now.

18. jaffa

jaffa Guest

But WHY is it framed like it is :confused: I do not believe for one moment that any director would want his movie reframed like that :eek: I bet Hitchcock and Kubrick would be spinning in there graves if any of there films where reframed like that.

19. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

The fact that you're comparing the framing of FRIDAY THE FRIGGIN' 13TH to a Hitchcock and/or Kubrick film tells me you're taking this WAY too seriously.

Is the framing "off"? Well, it's definitely different than the last DVD. Not necessarily an error, but definitely different. The fact that EVERYBODY who watched it before reading the review on here didn't notice anything should tell you something. The fact that the compositions are IMPROVED means I'm not complaining.

If certain important parts of the film were missing, I could understand, but like that guy posted either here or somewhere else, all we're missing is a bit of beach or a twig. Not a big deal.

20. jaffa

jaffa Guest

Well lets hope that everybody will say its no big deal when Paramount release the INDIANA JONES movies with new IMPROVED compositions ;)And also dont forget the new IMPROVED compositions we got on the last two BACK TO THE FUTURES from Universal a few years ago maybe we can all email and ask them to give us those versions instead ;)