Donations being accepted

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, May 1, 2012.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

The future of the site has been in limbo for a while, at least in my mind. We continue to post reviews, occasional news, run contests, and the forum remains reasonably active. So the site is alive and still kicking. However, I have been paying out of pocket for about a year now for the cost of a dedicated server. I was okay doing this but with my wife now pregnant with twins, priorities shift and our desire (and need) for a house has just significantly increased. As I look to save more and more each month, the cost of running the site is one that is becoming harder and harder to justify. I also know that most sites are free, driven by ads, which is something I have always disliked. I do know I must look to put ads on the site for it to continue, I'm still looking to do a fundraiser for a number of things:

1) Bring the site modern on the software side. Update to the latest Vbulletin CMS, removal the portal we are currently on and port our reviews over to the new CMS.

2) Continue paying the hosting bill for the next few months while I search for advertisers.

Long term I want to see the site become more community driven. This is something I have always wanted. As we move forward I'll be looking for more suggestions from you guys on what you would like to see.

If we can manage to raise enough for fund items 1 and 2, I will commit to keeping the site going for at least another year. If we cannot or do not raise enough money and I cannot commit to keeping it going for another year, I will refund the donations received.

Thanks.

Those that want to donate can send to: donate@horrordigital.com

Note that the name attached is my wife's name as I shut off my paypal account years ago. Hers is used for ebay so I just am using it here.

Current donations: $465.95 (as of 5/15 7:31am ET)
    Goal: $500

Attached Files:

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

thanks, Dave. Sent an email hoping for an option other than paypal. Love this place.

Can you give us an idea of how much is needed to raise to keep this place going? that will better inform my donated amount.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'll send some $ next week when I get paid. I'd really hate to see the site go, as I've been viewing it for over a decade!

Do have a recommendation, when you say community based, have you thought about putting a section on the site that branches off to members' websites? A lot of us on here have various sites we run and I think it'd be neat to have a directory of sorts for people to see them. Most of us put links in our signatures, but a full listing in one section would be easier to navigate. Just a thought!

4. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Man I would hate to lose this site.I will throw some cash your way on pay day as well.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Its about 400 to upgrade the site and pay a consultant to removal vbportal and port the reviews over. As for hosting costs it is about 100 a month. So ideally about 500 to 600 but I think the minimum needed in my mind is 400 to at least get the site modern and protected against attacks.

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I'll throw you guys some cash by next week. I've been visiting this site daily since 2005 and would hate to watch it fade off into the sunset.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I fully understand about priorities shifting, ours is also upgrading to a bigger house in January and every penny counts these days.
    Congratulations on the additions to your family, and if the website is to cease know that you've given us many hours of entertaining and stimulating discussion topics.
    Hell, I don't think I would've known about the Roger Corman Collections and many other discs coming out if it weren't for this place.
    Good luck. However, nothing can last forever especially as responsibilities change with age.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Thanks and I agree. I actually took a lot of time over the past few weeks to decide if I even want to continue running the site. The decision was that I do. I did not want to keep the site going just for nostalgia or simply because it's something that's been a small part of my life since 1999 that I hate to let go of. While I don't contribute as much as I would like to reviews and what not, that's not to say the site cannot continue to thrive with me kind of as a co-pilot of sorts. I truly hope I can make it more community oriented, more open, etc.

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

It's sounds like if the usuals all throw you $20-$25 each you should be good right? Sounds like a no brainer - I'm in.

10. Spit

Spit Active Member

Since I've joined I've been through 5 majors, 4 moves, and 3 vehicles. This site is practically the only consistent thing in my life. I'll kick in but I don't do paypal.

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Anyone that wants to mail a payment just PM me and I'll send you an address.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all you're doing, Dave. I know I often just take it for granted that the site will be here, but it's kind of sobering to think that this represents a real expense on your part. Congratulations on the twins. Jeez, I almost feel like we should start an "expectant parents" thread on here.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

donation sent - hope this site can keep running for many years to come

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I added a tally at the bottom of the thread with current donations and what we are looking to raise.

Don't take anything as a threat of me shutting down the site. I would do everything to try and keep it going even if we don't get enough to upgrade the site and I would likely just continue to keep it chugging along with the software we have for as long as I can manage. My only point was, if we can raise enough to upgrade the site, I will commit to absolutely keeping it going for at least another year. I don't want people to donate and worry about the site disappearing in a few months. If we don't reach the goal then I would offer refunds to everyone that donated.

I don't expect everyone to donate. It's voluntarily, of course. Make your own decision if you can or not.

15. Mutilated Prey

That's very nice, but I do expect all the regulars to kick in something. I don't wanna hear any bullshit. Everyone has money to buy DVD's, Blu's, posters, music, etc., so sacrifice one of them and give it to Dave. Every little bit helps even if it's only a couple of bucks. Donation sent.

16. Mutilated Prey

Oh yeah, and I also suggest everyone sends their money as a "gift" to avoid fees.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody should feel pressured. No one should send money begrudgingly. But as far as my own decision to donate or not, this was my rationalization as well.

18. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Just made a contribution. Thanks to Dave for all the hard work keeping the site going! I'd definitely miss this place if it went away.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

This has been my go to site for a decade. Donation sent.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'll try to send some money in a month or two but at the moment I'm just trying to keep my head above water financially. I've been under a deluge of bills and other unexpected expenses since right after Christmas and it isn't going to let up for another month or so. As much as I want to donate, this couldn't come at a worse time and at the moment I need every cent I get. :(

Also, as I said in the other thread, I don't do Paypal.