Donations being accepted

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, May 1, 2012.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Ads aren't that bad. Hell it'd be really nice if they are ads that are horror related (DVD companies / merchandise, etc...).

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This sounds awesome. I can't wait for the transition :)

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

right on, dave--thank you

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I agree, ads aren't the end of the world, although I hate the ones that pop up and have to be closed before I can continue on. Throw a couple on the sides and call it a day, like rx said, preferably horror related.

5. Zombie Dude

Agree. Pop-ups RUIN the internet. I hate those things. I can deal with adds on the page, around what I'm doing.

6. Zombie Dude

Agree. Pop-ups RUIN the internet. I hate those things. I can deal with adds on the page, around what I'm doing.

7. startide

startide Member

Dave, I know affiliate links are a bit old now, but is there a reason you don't have them? It always seemed odd to me you didn't, at the very least, have that.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: told ya so... ---->

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

That 5 post count troll brought that on themselves. I don't take kindly to assholes (low post count) making dippy comments. If your going to make insults at me about contributing I will link you to this post. Shit or get off the pot as I always say.

Dave13 we have been friends on here for quite some time. Next time your quote me in a different alternate thread at least let me know. I don't care if you did not make a donation it is not open season on your ass.

There is a fine line between long time members versus 5 post count members. I don't care if you did not make a donation (long time members). However If your a low post count and you make snarky comments I will direct your ass right here.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

sorry Dobs. we're buds, no doubt. it wasn't meant to be a personal dig at you. i know he made a snarky comment first, and you shot back. fair enough. that said, i still don't think it was 100% cool to throw the whole donation thing in his face. its not a very good way to encourage those who are just starting to post (or those who just post very infrequently) to be active in the boards. there are a lot of those infrequent posters, and a lot of them have been here much longer than you or i. just my two cents, though.

edit: oh, and i'm sorry if it seemed like a lousy thing quoting you in a different thread. perhaps that wasn't 100% cool either.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

While Dave13's post was a little snarky (IMO by no means over any reasonable line, however), I see absolutely nothing wrong with cross thread quotes if the quotation is relevant.

We should be willing to stand by what we say in any public forum, that our viewpoints are do not waver merely because the thread of conversation does. And on that basis we should have no problem accepting that by making such statements they can be referenced at the very least as an example in any related conversation in that forum.

In this particular case your statement was a (borderline) example of something that others in this thread had hypothetically expressed as a concern. As such it was a valid reference to be made.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

They threw the words contribute at me so I threw the contributing donation thread right in their face. They been on here sense 2006 and they have contributed all but 5 posts. If they were to have stuck around and contributed as they say. They would have been more active in the forum and contributing. I only make an exception when I have known the person for quite some time. They stepped on my tows I kicked them in the balls. Snarky comment or not they started it I finished it. They threw the words contribute at me now they can contribute to the board or zip it.

Yeah shit happens no worries not angry just annoyed. It is what it is neither one of us can change the past. Unless if we hit the delete button or something. :rolleyes:

Dave never made a snarky comment at me someone else did.

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I'm just catching up with this thread again.

While I did donate, I would of course prefer for this site to remain free. I agree (with I think everyone) that memberships, even cheap ones, will be a death knell.

Ads can be tricky too though (and if you do, I guess you can't also encourage people to use adblock :)

I've stopped going to some forums that included ads inside posts - it was just too obnoxious. Pop-ups or unders or ads that slide across the screen or auto-expand and then auto-resize and move the text around on the screen also drive me crazy.

A small bar off to the side that loads fast (after the content - I hate waiting for ad servers to read a page I want to read) wouldn't be too bad, I suppose.

I actually kind of like the Snorg Tees ads - I don't click them but the models are cute :)

Ok, enough bitching about ads before anything even happens.

I'm glad the site will be upgraded at least, and Dave can get new hardware for it!