Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (1973) Remastered Special Edition Hits DVD

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Shawn Francis, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

WARNER ARCHIVES

Special Features: Superfan commentary track from horror fans and pros Jeffrey Riddick, Steve Barton (“Uncle Creepy”) and Sean Ably.

[​IMG]

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Huh? They better have a free upgrade program!

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that with the remake coming out it isn't deemed worthy of a regular release. I'd buy it on blu-ray in a heartbeat.

4. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Glad I waited. I knew with a remake planned they were going to do something, didn't think they'd make it another archive release but knew something was going to happen with it.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What kid of special edition is that!? Nothing included but a fan commentary!

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

if i could find it for a good deal, this might become the first MOD disc i buy. that fan commentary is a real shot in the dark, though. it could be quite decent, or it could be a complete waste of time.

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I would say Remastered on the cover means a lot... but then again, on the page for this product over at the warner archives website there´s something:

"Important Note: This film has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored specifically for this DVD and Digital Download release."

http://www.wbshop.com/Dont-Be-Afraid-of-the-Dark/1000180329,default,pd.html?cgid=

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Personally I'd hold out even longer. Who knows, it may even be included as an extra in the special edition of the remake. Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth?

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

You said it... when warner wants to make special edition they are one of the best...

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I haven't bought this yet but if I do I'll stick with the first release. I rather jam a knife into my ear than listen to a fan track with Uncle Creepy.

11. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

One of the guys in charge of The Home Theater Forum has some inside knowledge on this remastered version of DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, and here's what he had to say about it: "I can tell you from conversations I have had with those in the know that this new remastered version looks really good."

He was also surprised it hadn't gone retail and that it was back in the Archives. Would LOVE to get may hands on an "officially pressed" DVD of this, I tell you.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Not too damned Special.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: Warner's DVD-R upgrade program!

I'd only buy it again if the transfer is actually remastered — and even then, for cheap. I could honestly care less about some fan commentary.

Seeing as how they didn't even feel this warranted a regular retail release, I have strong doubts about a remaster.

14. FinalSora

FinalSora New Member

I was totally misled by the title of this thread....wow, just wow.

15. Mutilated Prey

Yeah, you tell 'em Guy!

Exactly though, I'm really only interested if the print somehow miraculously looks better.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This is a joke of a special edition and to be honest, it was a TV movie, so even though it was shot on film, it was probably made to be a 4:3 aspect ratio, so Blu-Ray wouldn't be a big deal. It might be clearer, but nothing else. I didn't even bother with the Warner DVD. I have a good copy off the original release VHS that does me just fine. Maybe if this "SE" is under $10 I'll splurge, but I really don't care and this is definitely one of my favorite horror films, because of the memories I have of being scared by it as a kid!

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just got an email from Warner earlier: "Upgrade to the Newly Remastered Don't Be Afraid of the Dark for $4.99" (plus shipping)

Offer only vaild for previous purchasers of the old DVD, and you get a unique email code to use at checkout. Valid through 9/30/11

18. Mutilated Prey

That's a little better. I didn't get that email though. However, it's definitely in my order history so I could probably get it to work. I'd lie to know how much of an upgrade it is first. Did you actually get the code already?

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I got the code too. And I'm going to grab it. I could care less about the fan commentary. But I can't imagine that Warner Bros would specifically contact purchasers of the earlier DVD unless the picture quality was substantially enhanced.

Like Humongous, this film has never been properly released for home video or DVD. Every prior edition has suffered from too much darkness and murkiness--a real shame considering the quality of the creature design and the large number of scenes that take place in almost complete darkness.

Those gripes certainly apply to the earlier Warner Bros DVD too. It was only a marginal upgrade from my numerous bootleg versions. Judging by the overall lack of sharpness, lack of shadow detail, lousy black levels, and washed out colors it seems likely that they used a VHS master for that release.

There's no reason this film shouldn't look as good on DVD as the Night Stalker telemovies. And after squinting at subpar versions of this film so many times over the past 37 years or so, I'm willing to spend $4.95 plus shipping for a chance to finally see this film presented properly.

I'll report back on the image quality when I get the disc.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Exactly why I never bothered buying the disc. I am curious if this is a substantial upgrade. Definitely let us know! If it isn't, I think they own you a $5 credit!