Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (1973) Remastered Special Edition Hits DVD

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Shawn Francis, Aug 17, 2011.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You were smarter than me for sure! Unfortunately I've always been a sucker for this movie. I saw the original broadcast as a child and I've been seeking a good-looking version ever since. I still have multiple VHS and DVD versions laying around. Hopefully this will be the end of the quest.

Believe me, I'll be the first one to bitch if the new version isn't on par with a legitimate DVD release. Warner Bros would have to be pretty tacky to solicit people they ripped off with their previous disappointing release for a 2nd anal assault.

It's supposed to ship early next week. I'll keep everyone posted and post a screenshot comparison when I get a chance.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it was in the email. But it looks like it's a unique code that's only good for the specified account/order.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Right on. I sent them an email with my order number requesting a code.

4. Katatonia

I just placed my order. I added another Archives DVD-R (Avalanche Express) and the entire order showed up with an extra $5 off and free shipping. With tax it was $21.53 total for both...so not too bad.

It's a cheap enough gamble. I just hope the A/V quality is truly improved...

And at least this time they didn't give me any of that lame bullshit about my order not going through because they don't accept Debit Cards. :rolleyes:

P.S. If you are a member of Ebates, click through there to get 3.5% cash back.

5. Mutilated Prey

Are they requesting the old copy back to get the cheap upgrade? I haven't even opened mine.

6. Katatonia

Nah, there was nothing in the email (or in checkout) about having to send in your old disc.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    No, not smarter, just tired of playing the game! I love the idea of Warner Archives and all the copycats, because people like us used to buy bootlegs left and right, but when I have a really decent copy of a film, it is going to take more than a DVD-R pressing to make me buy it. This film has a real place in my heart as well. I am in my 40s and grew up in the heyday of made for TV movies. Trilogy of Terror and this one gave me nightmares. This one was constantly repeated in the NYC area and I watched it a lot, even though it scared me to death. I also love Kim Darby who is in my favorite Star Trek episode, Miri. I remembered so much of this film growing up and wanted a copy so bad. Fortunately an old member of this forum gave me a copy off their VHS and it was fantastic. The movie still packs a punch even though the creatures are a little cheesy. I do want to see the remake at some point, because this one did lend itself to a remake.

Like you though, I am always on the hunt for a better copy of a film I love. Highlander is my all time favorite and I've bought numerous VHS tapes, DVDs and finally the UK Blu-Ray, which will probably be my last time purchasing, because I can't see it getting much better than that!

8. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I got the upgrade code too and imagine I'll go ahead and do it for just $5. But I'm wondering if this might get a legit release in another region on the heels of the del Toro remake. I was really pissed to see Brian De Palma's "Obsession" relegated to a Warner Archive DVD-R when a deluxe edition Blu-ray was just released in Europe. (I know it's region-free but that's beside the point.)

Anyway, I could just see this one getting an official release in Spain or Germany or somewhere to capitalize on the new version. Or as maybrick said, maybe even included as an extra on the remake disc. If that happens, even another $5 spent on a recordable DVD will make me mad.

9. Katatonia

10. Mutilated Prey

That's weird dood - the first two screen grabs make the old transfer look better, whereas the last two make the new transfer superior. Perhaps just the darker scenes are brighter, and regular scenes have less contrast?

11. shape22

There's no doubt that the contrast appears to be dialed down in the 1st 2 shots of the new transfer. But they still look like an improvement to me. There are numerous obvious flaws in the old transfer that appear to be corrected in the new one. If you look closely at the screen shot of Jim Hutton, you'll see shimmering on his collar, slightly unnatural skin tone, and the waxy facial features you get from too much DNR. The color shift in the old transfer also shows up in the long shot of the house. The new transfer's colors look more natural to my eyes. And look closely at the ugly edge enhancement halo around the top of the stone turret in the old transfer. It's much less egregious in the new one. And the dark scenes look much brighter in the new transfer. Fans of tiny, prune-headed demons rejoice!

I'm officially jacked up to get this disc in my hands. It's looking like $10.69 (including tax and shipping) well spent.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Based on those caps, the new transfer looks way better (except maybe in that second pic).

It'd be nice to get a legit DVD. I usually can't bring myself to spend money on DV-Rs (though I did buy Warner Archive's Return To Salem's Lot disc).

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Well, the cover does say Remastered Edition on the top. :p

EDIT: OK, DVDTalk didn't have the version of cover I mentioned, but it's on Page 1 of this topic. And I do agree, the transfer is a good improvement.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I thought the same thing! Those dark scenes are supposed to be dark. By lighting them up, it looks like it ruins the effect! It is a definitely improvement on resolution, but I'm wondering if they messed up the color! When a scene has a blue tinge, it is typically the director's doing to make it look like a night shot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yeah, but Warner Archives site says this:

"Important Note: This film has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored specifically for this DVD and Digital Download release."

They just found a better print, that´s all...

16. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

Not sure what product page you're looking at, but on the page linked in the email offer it says this:

"This film is newly remastered."

17. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

They changed it.

If you see on the first page of this thread, I already posted this info and that was the warning that was on the page.

18. Mutilated Prey

So I got my free upgrade code for $4.99, but they want $5 shipping on top of that? I got the old one for $14 free shipping. Some upgrade deal - wtf!

19. shape22

Don't forget the tax. All told it'll cost you $10.69. Definitely less exciting than $4.99.

20. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Did you honestly think they'd cover the shipping costs though???

You're still getting the disc for $4.99 - just paying for shipping which is reasonable considering without the upgrade you'd be paying $19.95.

They really don't even have to offer anything to anyone who already purchased the old disc to be honest so those who did should be glad they did anything honestly.