Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (1973) Remastered Special Edition Hits DVD

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Shawn Francis, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I added a title for $14.95, and then free shipping showed up for the entire order. If you know of another title you want, you might want to try that and see if it still works.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'd be more willing to agree with you if their shipping prices weren't outrageously inflated. As an Amazon regular, I resent EVER having to pay for shipping. I can tolerate it if it's relatively in line with actual shipping costs (like DVDPacific charging $1.90 a disc). But $4.99 for UPS budget shipping (not regular ground) is highway robbery.

Let's also remember that the new version wouldn't be necessary if the initial MOD release of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark was comparable to legitimate DVD TV horror releases (like MGM's Night Stalker double feature disc). I have numerous bootleg editions of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark. And the initial MOD release was only marginally better than the best of them. If Warner Bros REALLY wanted to do something nice for their customers, they would have offered the new disc as a free replacement--especially since most of us probably paid somewhere around $20 total for the bootleg quality release.

I jumped on the upgrade offer because the new release looks like a major upgrade and it's unlikely that I'd ever have a chance to get it cheaper. But considering the number of Blu-rays that Amazon sells for under $10 with free shipping, $10.69 for a standard def release of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark isn't any kind of deal. I'm glad I'll finally have the movie in the quality it deserves. But I certainly don't feel warm and fuzzy about Warner Bros' business practices.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

What he said.

$5 shipping on 1 DVD sucks no matter how you slice it. Who else charges that much within the US? No one!

4. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

You're both forgetting they don't have to do anything. They're a multi-million dollar company and one of the few studios not filing for bankruptcy or on the verge of.

Whether you want to pay the $5 for shipping is entirely up to you, but if you decide not to or refuse to then enjoy the copy of the film you have now. That's pretty much all that can be said.

5. shape22

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be an heir to the Warner Bros fortune? I can't imagine what else would compel you to defend "a multi-million dollar company" that expects consumers to pay above-market rates twice to get a good copy of the same title on recordable media. :confused:

6. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I wish I was. Then I could buy out MGM and release THE VIDEO DEAD my damn self. :p

It's not a manner of defending anyone, it's just simple common sense. Do other studios offer anything whenever they release another special edition of another film??? Has Anchor Bay even ONCE offered a coupon or anything of the sort to purchase the next release of THE EVIL DEAD or HALLOWEEN or whatever other title they felt the need to release several times???

Nope.

At best we get replacement discs is companies screw up on a release, and sometimes we don't - LET THE RIGHT ONE IN anyone? - but that's not the case here, the original release wasn't a "screw up" it was just released with the master they had at the time. Maybe the sales of that disc is what put this disc into gear as opposed to just putting the old disc on sale which they could have just done also. Then people who have been complaining they paid $15 for it when now everyone else can get it for $10 or whatever.

So WB decides that they should offer a discount here and people complain because it's not free??? C'mon dude, how much sense does that make??? We all knew it was being remade and we all know the formula, if a film is remade and in theaters, we generally see a special edition or some kind of re-release of the original film. With the exception of FRIGHT NIGHT, this has held pretty tried and true for the last several years. So why anyone thought the situation would be any different here...is a mystery to me all in itself. No studio has ever, ever given away free discs or offer coupons because they've re-released the film, so again, why complain? If you don't want to pay the $10, then don't buy the disc, it's that simple.

The film itself hasn't changed, so it's not like it's a different version of the film that offers more insight or anything like that. It's just remastered from a newer print. If you've managed to live with the disc you've had for the last few years without much fuss - why bother to upgrade if you're not satisfied with the compromise Warner is offering???

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Can you get an upgrade code if you bought it from an online retailer other then the Warner site?

8. Katatonia

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. They'd require some method of a proof of purchase. They're only sending out the codes via emails if you purchased the old disc directly from the WB Shop.

9. shape22

I don't need a primer on how the industry works. Last I counted I had over 2,000 DVDs and Blu-rays. So I know the game well. I'm just not sure why you feel compelled to be the official industry apologist. Do media conglomerates really need unpaid mouthpieces to patronize hard-working and frustrated consumers?

Comparing this situation to Anchor Bay's handling of The Evil Dead and Halloween is really misguided. On the one hand, you have a small company that's repeatedly shown its dedication to genre fans by releasing obscure horror films with very limited commercial appeal. Yes, they've milked their most marketable titles for all they can get out of them. But if that's what allowed them to generate enough revenue to release some of the less popular Hammer films, Herzog's Nosferatu, and other films with zero mass market appeal, I think the re-releases are justified. Let's also not forget two other key points: Anchor Bay manufactures and sells legitimate (not burned) DVDs and Anchor Bay has to pay to license the titles they distribute.

On the other hand you have Warner Bros, an enormous, deep-pocketed corporation that likely owns the rights to all the films they distribute through their MOD program. So do you really think that Anchor Bay's repeated trips to the well are remotely as offensive as Warner Bros releasing unrestored VHS masters on recordable media at above-market prices? And then advertising an upgrade "deal" for loyal customers where the cost of tax and shipping more than doubles the advertised price?

As I said above, this is a film that's very dear to me. So boycotting it isn't really an option. If you object to me whining about MGM's practices, I agree it's not a very productive exercise. But that doesn't stop me from wondering why it's so important for you to attempt to silence my objections and discredit my point of view. If I get anally assaulted at gunpoint and the guy only jams it half-way in, should I get his address so I can send him a thank you note?

I'm not looking to sidetrack this thread any further. So I'll stay out of it until I have feedback on the new disc. Fortunately my $5 shipping and handling fee really appears to be paying dividends. It shipped on 8/26 and it should be here tomorrow. Thanks Warner Bros!

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

well I still have the Deep Discount email receipt maybe i'll try sending it to them.

11. Mutilated Prey

Alright Guy, let's just simmer down, You're getting all kinds of defensive for something you have nothing to do with :lol: ;)

I am very happy that they are offering any sort of upgrade deal, believe me. It was just funny to hear that the shipping was $5 - that was my only gripe (a minor one at best). When people up the shipping like that they are intentionally trying to make up for other things they are giving deals on just to make it seem like the greatest deal on earth. Like the eBay seller that lists something for 99 cents but charges you $10 shipping when you know damn well it's not going to cost more than $3.

I appreciate your enthusiasm though :D

12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Sorry, was just offering my two cents and backing up what I had to say with previous situations that we've been faced with before.

Not everyone is going to agree on certain circumstances, if they did, how boring would that be???

13. Mutilated Prey

Touché mon aimée!

14. shape22

No apology necessary Chris. We all agree on that.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Your right. They emailed me back and said they would only give me the coupon if I bought it from their site. What a jip.

16. shape22

All right. The Pony Express has come through and the disc is in my hands.

Overall the new transfer is a huge improvement. The screenshots don't really show the enormous difference in resolution. But the new one is much more detailed. I can also confirm that many of the indoor night shots that used to be too dark are now much brighter with no negative effect on the black levels. So you can get a better look at Felix Silla and company than ever before.

So far, so good, right? Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But the new transfer is plagued with serious color timing and exposure issues on many outdoor day for night shots in the final reel. The intended deep blue hues are totally gone. And instead of knocking the exposure down a few stops, outdoor day for night scenes have been printed at normal levels. So it's very obviously daylight during some of the climactic scenes.

Some other random scenes are also affected by color timing issues. Most of the film looks more natural in the new transfer. But some scenes have a very distinct gold shift that can be distracting.

Here is a screenshot comparison that demonstrates the good and bad without entering serious spoiler territory. The old transfer is on top and the new one is on the bottom. I tried to match the frames as closely as possible. But there are some minor variations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So unfortunately we still don't have a definitive transfer of this film. For me at least, this is a very similar situation to the Halloween Blu-ray controversy. On the one hand, you have a sparkling new transfer with so much more visible detail that it would be hard to go back to the older disc. But on the other hand, sheer laziness and incompetence has seriously altered the look of many critical scenes. What's so difficult about consulting an answer print?

Hopefully this will help some of you make up your minds about whether or not you want to spring for the new disc. If you're a diehard fan I think it's worth the money--especially if you can get the upgrade discount. But if you're not in love with the film it's a much tougher call.

17. Katatonia

Thanks for the screenshots!

The new transfer looks so much clearer that I'll probably be able to forgive the new color timing.

Mine shipped the other day from Warner, and should arrive on 9/4 it looks like from the tracking #.

18. shape22

You're welcome Kat.

It's MUCH clearer. No doubt about that. No matter how many times you've watched it over the years you'll see all kinds of stuff that was never visible before.

19. Mutilated Prey

Can someone explain to me why the original pressing with the blue cover is going for $30 new, while the newer "remastered" version only goes for $15? Is it just because the older release is OOO even though it's apparently inferior?

20. shape22

That must be it. The new disc is definitely superior. The old one is only marginally superior to the best bootleg version. It definitely appears to be sourced from a VHS master.