Don't Go in the Woods

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Dec 24, 2004.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

I tried doing a search for this title, but our search function ignores two letter words so I couldn't bring anything up. Anyway, this film is numbingly awful, inept, boring, senseless, take your pick. The story is virtually non-existent, it basically just boils down to an 82 minute treatment on the title: "Don't Go in the Woods". People who have never been setup dramatically go into the woods and get killed. What are the killer's motives? We never know. Why does he look like Grizzly Adams? We never know. All that is established is what could be grabbed from other backwoods slashers that predated the film, and that is that the killer lives in a shantee and has some odd mothering complex. Someone watched FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART 2 a little too much during filming. Like THE FINAL TERROR, the editing is about as confusing, but at least that movie had Daryl Hannah. And then, to top it all off, this film has one of the worst theme songs ever made. If you thought the final songs to MY BLOODY VALENTINE or SLEEPAWAY CAMP were cheesy, you haven't heard anything yet. The song seems to be an odd fusion between the synth music of MADMAN and the lyrics and delivery of THE TEDDY BEAR PICNIC. It really is bizarre.

I think I hated this movie more than any other slasher film I have ever seen, and I have seen some stinkers. The title though, such an alluring title...I am sure it has suckered more than just myself into watching. What do you guys and gals think? Does anyone actually like this?

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

me i love it....... it's raw, gory and has a nice body count.... granted the movie doesn't have much of a plot , but it is a guilty pleasure of mine.......

3. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I have to agree.I like some bad movies but this one was so awful it was awful!This one that will never find it's way into my collection.

I like the song at the end of My Bloody Valentine......:( :eek:

4. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Well it is coming soon on DVD, so lets just end it at that!

5. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

anymore info? company ect.......... i havent heard anything

i'll tell u guys what, that FINAL TERROR has to be the worst eva.......

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Love that song too. Evokes the vibe of the coastal Maritime provinces perfectly.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Final Terror!!?? Hey man, Adrian Zmed rules!! Watch T.J.Hooker or Grease 2 for proof. ;)

8. Stige

Stige Active Member

the more I hear about this movie, all the negative comments, and the universal hate, the more I am dying to see it. I wonder how long it will take for me to cave in and buy a used VHS for a fortune????? Can I wait for the DVD??????

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    In hindsite, I recall DON'T GO IN THE WOODS when I first saw it at a second run theater in Reno. The real draw was that it was paired up with HILLS HAVE EYES. This double-feature happened in 1982. WOODS had all but three people in the theater. HILLS was packed and easily the audience favorite.
    What I remembered about WOODS was it was so "bottom of the barrel" even by 1982 standards. The killer was non-descript and really uninteresting. The effects...well, bright red paint hardly looks realistic on the movie screen as human blood. I recall this flick along with the stench of strong nacho cheese sauce and stale popcorn of that theater. It's forever burned in my brain. For that, I am most grateful nowadays. But then...I never wanted to see that crappy movie ever again!

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

It's pretty damn bad...yet I somehow sat through it twice. I rented it as a kid, then for some wierd reason bought the VHS from a bargain bin when I was in college.

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

HEY! Don't knock Frankie Vinci's "Angela (You're Just What I've Been Looking For)" from SLEEPAWAY CAMP! Cheap and synthetic, like most of the 80s, it sounds like background music for a hot high school make-out session.

12. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

I found the film quite funny.

It was so bad that is was funny - like one of the male victims who screams like a woman.

13. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I have fond memories of this one from a vacation in Florida when I was a kid, when it was still a big thrill to rent a VHS and some movies for a night. I do think it sucked, though. I will still be on board when it comes out on DVD, as all 80's slashers that I have seen must be had!!

14. Franco

Franco Weekender

A copy of this movie is coming home this week. I've read good commentaries about it.

Franco

15. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Where in the Hell did you read those??:lol:

16. What company is releasing this??

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I don't think I've EVER read a good review of this movie. This movie is just bloody awful. I have it on VHS and I've only watched it once. (I don't plan on getting rid of it either. I'm a proud owner of this shit film.) This is probably the WORST slasher film I have ever seen. I honestly wouldn't recommend this movie to ANYONE. Even if you are curious as to how bad it is.

Don't go out in the woods tonight,
    You probably will be thrilled.
    Don't go out in the woods tonight,
    You probably will be killed.

There's a friendly beast,
    Who lurks about.
    And likes to feast,
    You won't get out!

Without being killed and shopped up in little...pieces.

*That last line is spoken, btw.*

First off, I'd like to know WHAT THE FUCK they were smoking when they made this song. (Really, I want some ;) LOL j/k). I mean, a FRIENDLY beast? What the fuck? Who likes to feast? From what I recall, he didn't EAT anyone. And "you probably will be thrilled"? Like, what the hell does that mean anyway? The song makes no sense. And it truly DOES sound like it was recorded by someone's retarded uncle on a Casio keyboard.

~Matt

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

What company? LMAO who cares. I pity the company who actually takes the time to release this shit movie. Watch, I bet it'll be something like this:

DON'T GO IN THE WOODS

- 3-Disc Special Edition
    - New remastered Divimax digital superscan transfer
    - Anamorphic Widescreen version
    - New DTS Digital 5.1 Surround
    - Commentary by the director and select cast members
    - Original Theatrical Trailer
    - TV Spots
    - Poster/Still Gallery
    - Cast/Crew Bios
    - Documentary "The Making of Don't Go in the Woods"
    - Documentary "The Music Behind Don't Go in the Woods"
    - Documentary "Acting Don't Go in the Woods"
    - Disc 3 containing collectible CD with original music from the film
    - Collectible insert with production notes, lyrics to the ending theme and original poster art

I would seriously just about DIE laughing if the movie was released this way.

Hope some of you don't take this seriously LMAO. NO THIS IS NOT A PRESS RELEASE FOR THE DVD RELEASE OF THIS FILM.

~Matt

19. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i would love a release of this............

20. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Great fantasy release idea! The discs could be screened with artwork to resemble bloody, jagged (cling peach) can lids!!!! I'd buy 2 copies, really.