Don't Go to Sleep (1982)

Discussion in 'General' started by fattyjoe37, Feb 7, 2014.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Didn't see a thread on this one, but it has many common words in the title, so maybe I missed it. I just watched this excellent made-for-TV film for the first time and had to know what the other forum members thought of it.
    I first heard about it on an old episode of the Killer POV podcast where the hosts were talking about the scariest films they had seen. I can understand that assessment of the film, especially seeing as the host watched it as a child.
    The story focuses on a family grieving after the loss of their eldest daughter. The family (featuring horror vets Dennis "Duel" Weaver, Ruth "Rosemary's Baby" Gordon, and Oliver "Poltergeist" Robins) moves into a new house and the youngest daughter begins to have visions of her dead sister. Is she seeing an apparition or is her mind trying to cope with the death of her beloved sibling?
    This was one intense movie. Being made-for-TV, there was no gore, but there were many shocking moments. It is a surprisingly dark film. This family has been through hell when the story begins and things just get worse for them. As the body count rises in surprising ways, you see the characters actually dealing with death, something that many genre films brush past to get to the next set-piece. This movie understands that treating the drama of the story seriously is the way to go and allows the surviving characters time to grieve and see how these further losses affect the family (some turn to alcohol, some just want to give up on life altogether). The filmmakers are also not content just letting the movie be one thing. They save some great surprises for the finale which make you reinterpret what you are seeing from a character motivation standpoint and even what subgenre of film you are watching.
    Unfortunately, this movie is very hard to find. It was never released on DVD, but luckily I was able to head over to Seattle's Scarecrow Video and rent the VHS. I hope that one day a company such as Scream Factory can save this movie from obscurity and preserve it on a digital format. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Is this the one that had the scene involving a pizza cutter ?

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

One of the best made-for-TV horror of the 80s.

5. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Over thirty years later and I can still remember the dropped watermelon scene and thinking "That's how you get gruesome past the censors."

6. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

"Killed as a result of iguana induced fright" is also in this movie.

Overall it was kind of just depressing, but the final scene does STILL scare me.

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Great made-for-tv flick. Creeped me out big time as a kid. I'd love to get a quality release of this.

8. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Cinemageddon has a torrent for this if anyone has an account.

9. Doombear

Doombear Member

Great movie. I wish a real studio would release it; I had to settle with a VHS-quality version too. The opening scene was great with the credits and lullaby music rapidly intercutting with the scenes of them driving.

Another good TV movie was "Cry for the Strangers" with Patrick Duffy and some tribal ghosts on a beach.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It's also on youtube

11. maniac666

maniac666 New Member

Back in those days,the made for tv movies were very creepy.Wish someone will release them officialy on dvd.Some are hard to find.This House Possessed was creepy too.Satan's Triangle with Doug McClure is very scary.so much good stuff!

12. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Score. Might check this one out tonight.

13. CPT HOOK

I haven't seen this in forever, but the one scene that I'll never forget is the funeral scene. It's this little kid's funeral, and they're lowering the coffin into the grave... and they accidentally drop it! :eek:

I remember being a little shocked by how cruel and mean spirited that seemed. They don't make a big deal out of it either, it's just this subtle little macabre moment, which made it all the more effective.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh yeah, and don't you see the kids leg bounce up as the coffin opens a bit when it bounces off the ground? :lol:

15. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    This movie scared me to death when I was a kid. The iguana scene had me sleepless for days. Someone upped a Dutch TV airing of it years ago with subs. I'll check the Youtube version out. Definitely a warped and twisted classic that needs more spotlight.

16. CPT HOOK

I don't remember if they showed the body or not, but I remember it being a fairly subtle yet deliberate moment. I don't think they did?

You might be thinking of Pet Sematary?