Don't Go To The Reunion

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 26, 2013.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If I recall, The Sleeper seemed to get a lot of attention around here (even though it wasn't very good), so I thought I might start a thread for another self-distributed indie-slasher that is getting only a small fraction of the attention: Don't Go To The Reunion

You can view the filmmaker's short films Teddy, Popularity Killers, and Blood Brothers on YouTube, but this is their first feature-length effort.

Facebook Page
    Slasher Studios (where you can order the DVD)

Did anyone else pre-order this already? I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I just got mine in the mail today, along with an autographed poster and some mini-cards. I think the autographed poster was only for the first 150 pre-orders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Never even heard of it before now, but I love that poster artwork.

Have you had a chance to watch it yet CPT?

3. CPT HOOK

Not yet, will try to do so either tonight or tomorrow.

I watched their Teddy short on YouTube. The characters were extremely obnoxious, but I thought it was very well made.

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

You know your going to order it, gimme a break!

5. Katatonia

6. CPT HOOK

I'll try to squeeze it in later tonight and report back. I'll try to keep track of disc specs and whatnot too.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Squeeze it in Katatonia's butcheeks.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

The Sleeper wasn't very good? It was great! Well IMO it was.

I'd watch this.

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

You think everything is good to great. :lol:

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

What can I say I love movies.

11. CPT HOOK

Okay, so just watched it. It's tough to recommend something like this, just because it's an extremely low-budget slasher film. But for what it is, it isn't bad. I liked it much more than The Sleeper, but it's no Murder Loves Killers Too or Spirit Camp.

Acting is extremely amateur. The script isn't bad, but there's a lot of needless bickering. "You're a dick", "Fuck you", etc. The kills are all based off specific '80s slasher movie kills, so it was fun to guess which movie they came from. But the kills are fairly tame and extremely sparse throughout the first half. There's a little nudity in there, but there's more male nudity than female.

The movie only runs a skimpy 70 minutes, and the end credits start at 62 minutes, so it's extremely short. But that works in the movie's favor, because it doesn't overstay its welcome. It ends on a strong note, as I really loved the final shot. Fans of indie slashers (and I mean indie slashers) will probably get a kick out of it, but I doubt anyone else will get much out of it. I thought it was better than many of the indie slashers that get wide distribution, like Hayride, Into The Woods, or Home Sweet Home for a few recent examples.

As for the DVD, it is a silver pressed DVD and not a burnt DVD-R. The movie is in anamorphic widescreen and looks immaculate. Not sure what camera they used, but for such a low budget production, it looks terrific. Lighting is great, etc. Like many low-budget productions, audio is widely inconsistent. It will be quiet one moment then LOUD the next. I had to keep adjusting the volume throughout.

As for the extras, there isn't much for Don't Go To The Reunion itself.
    -Audio Commentary with the writer and director (I don't listen to audio commentaries)
    -Audition Reel: 3 auditions running about 3 minutes.
    -Blooper Reel: Nothing really funny, just a few missed lines, runs less than 2 minutes.
    -"Class Of 2004" Yearbook: The same cast photos that are shown during the end credits. Runs 30 seconds.
    -Trailer: Even though the back of the case lists both a theatrical and teaser trailer, there is only one trailer on the disc.

Also, the back of the case and the disc art touts the film as UNRATED, but that goes without saying. The budget is so low I doubt they would be able to afford an MPAA rating.

However, even though DGTTR extras are skimpy, the disc contains an additional three short films from the filmmakers.
    Blood Brothers 8 minutes. Not very good. Not a slasher either.
    Popularity Killer 20 minutes. Fun but unremarkable little slasher tale. Loved the mask!
    Teddy 12 minutes. Easily the best of the three.

So even though $15 plus shipping for a 70 minute movie might seem like too much, the addition of the short films sweeten the deal a bit. All three shorts are available on YouTube though, so I'd suggest checking out Teddy and Popularity Killer there first. They should give you a good idea of whether or not you'll enjoy Don't Go To The Reunion.

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

"Acting is extremely amateur", this is a big problem with most indie movies.
    If they don´t have actors that can deliver, they should stay away from making the movie serious and go for over the top camp instead. That´s what saved all those 80:s indie films that had a crappy cast. Though in comparision, even the cast in "Sledgehammer" is Oscar worthy compared to most indie "actors" today. Back then even the bad ones could be likable ;)

13. Katatonia

Ugh, I really have a hard time enjoying movies that are like that...especially if it's widely inconsistent throughout.

Thanks for the review though. I'd like to check it out, but after watching some of the YouTube footage I'm really not sure it'd be worth the $18 shipped they're asking for.

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Blah you know your going to order it Kat. Lot's of ugly chicks in it including a fat porker. :D

15. Katatonia

Oh yeah, massive boner material. :lol: Nah, I think I'll pass on this one...unless the price comes down a bit.

16. CPT HOOK

The audio does get better as the movie goes along, but it was definitely an issue towards the beginning. There's a kill that is lifted out of Night School where the audio was ridiculous, especially the girl's screaming. And when the main couple first arrives at the house, it sounds like they're mumbling as they get out of the car, so I had to crank the volume up. Then once they get inside, it's back to normal so I had to quickly crank the volume back down.

Also had to LOL that during the opening high school scene, the principal looks the same age as the students.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Keep beefing this up for Kat so he will order it.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I agree with MisterTwister. The Sleeper was great, and made my runners-up list for Best Films from last year (or was it the year before?). The only recent throwback I've seen, other than House of the Devil, that actually could be mistaken for a film from the era it's throwing back to.

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member