Don't Look in the Basement

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Tom Servo, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've always kinda liked this one. It has that low budget ,regional vibe that just screams "drive-in movie". I have an old DVD double feature disc of it from VCI that pairs it with the same directors later film DON'T OPEN THE DOOR. The print is 16/9 and looks okay, certainly better than many copies I've seen (DOOR looks even better and is widescreen but not enhanced).I'd welcome a good Blu Ray.

russweiss and m@ggot like this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I also noticed twice during the movie where there is poor encoding digital artifacting all over the screen for like a second each time. Sometimes the motion appeared jittery throughout also. I can't velieve it got through quality control like that...but then again they just used an MPEG-2 encode.

It certainly still looks better than it ever has on a home video format, but hardly an ideal presentation. Hopefully a better version does get released by some other label.

The short "restoration" featurette on the disc was also puzzling. It only shows one scene where all damage was apparently removed ... yet in the actual film you still see lines and damage all over the place on the print used. What was even the point of that?

The sequel on the disc was kind of good though, and had none of the encode artifacting flaws.

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Seen this at my local record store but passed and got slither scream factory bluray instead since I still have the vci dvd