"Don'tcha just love happy endings?"

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash J. Williams, Nov 11, 2006.

?

What type of ending do you like in a primarily dark horror film?

1. Downer - keep the scares pulsating long after the credits roll.

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Relieving - Be kind to your audience, let them off easy.

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Just give it to me as it comes, baby.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  4. I don't like my movies to end.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

More explicitly, would you say that an inspiring, or uplifting ending, to a darker film, is more effective than a nihilist approach, which is more in-tune with the majority of the film's subject matter?

For example, Dawn of the Dead - A shocking film, even today, not so much due to its violence anymore, but due to its unsettling commentary on material culture. And, it ends on at least a somewhat inspiring, or relieving note. The same may be said about Day, though that is more questionable.

Or, you can look at Zombie - A dark, very hard-to-watch film with very few morals. It ends with
    the end of society.
    A more personal rendition of this horrifying finale was featured in the Zombie rip-off, Burial Ground.

I find that in many cases, a film which is trying to be different or shocking in its overall subject matter, may go for this sort of ending, despite the quality of the film as a whole
    House of 1000 Corpses.
    This is not to say that many very good films don't have downer endings, but it seems more common with the extremist school of filmmaking.

On the other hand, a dark, grating horror film with an ending that has a ray of hope, can be a great release. You've just sat through an hour-and-a-half of sensory overload, and you are rewarded for your stamina with a deep sigh of relief and an uplifting theme.

So, which is it?

Does everybody fucking die?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I like a movie that leaves an impression on me and it seems more of my favorites are those with downbeat endings. If I'm still thinking about a movie the day after seeing it and unable to shake an uneasy feeling, it did its job and those are the movies I most appreciate.

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I can't say I prefer one over the other, so I selected "give it to me as it comes, baby!"

If the dark ending works, then that's great. If it doesn't and is there only for the film to have a "dark ending", then I don't see the point. Same with a happy ending. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

There was also this other thread on this exact same topic ...
    http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=29078

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  4. Franco

Franco Weekender

I really prefer dark endings with scares or something like that like a warning or a menace (e.g. Brian DePalma classic movies) but some others are still fine with a happy ending...

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't like to be left depressed, there's nothing wrong with a nice ending. Stil, if "dark" means "horrific", I'm okay with that. If it means sad/depressing, I'd rather not have too many films end that way.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

happy ending and Horror films ... that's not right.

However, very few US made films were allowed not to have a happy ending.

As a kid I remember In the Mouth of Madness not having a happy ending, any others?

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Either way. It all tends to depend on the characters in the movie. If I like them and get really involved/attached to them then I find myself wanting a happy ending for them. If I am indifferent to the characters or I hate them then I tend to like a downer ending.

Of course it all really depends on the mood of the film and what feels like it works for that particular movie. Some movies with a happy ending make me feel like I was ripped-off by a lame ending, others I'm happy with an upbeat or at least light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel type of ending. As I said, it really depends on the movie as you're watching it if the ending works for you.

8. I agree... I think it all has to do with how much we care and feel for the characters. In my own personal opinion, I think it the tragic/suicidal ending of the original "Dawn of the Dead" were used, I wouldn't have ended up loving the movie nearly as much... and its because you invest so much in these characters, that to have them all die would have been like having the rug completely pulled out from under you.

Some it seems more fitting, but in some cases, I see nothing wrong with a "happy" ending.

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I went with Just give it to me as it comes, baby. I don't really have a preference as long as the ending actually fits the movie. It's when something feels tacked on that I get annoyed.

10. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

Precisely what I was going for. You're all doing very well, keep these answers comin'.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Though it really can go either way for me, I feel as though depressing endings are much more effective because they stay with the viewer, whereas most happy endings are fun at the time and quickly fade out of the memory of the audience. Many of my favorite films have truly devastating endings.

12. Luna

Luna Guest

That is exactly my opinion, and it's why I voted for the same. I don't require something to end any particular way... I just want the ending to fit the previous 88 minutes.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Can't say it better, so I'll just quote.:)

14. Fumi

Fumi Member

I went with just give it to me as it comes. It really depends on the movie. If a film is really dark, maybe it needs a ray of hope at the end. If a movie is bright and fun, sometimes it works to bitch slap the damned thing back to reality.

15. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Downer endings usually work better for me, so I went with that. Some movies they don't work for, though...I think if Romero had went with his original ending for DAWN the film would not work as well and it probably wouldn't have the reputation it has today. But most of the movies I like tend to be downbeat.

16. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Two Bob Clark classics w/great endings:
    Black Christmas
    Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Just give it to me as it comes, baby.

18. philxus

philxus New Member

:banana: The only happy ending that i really like is the one they give on the asian massage parlor!! :banana: :blabla:

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Either way, but when the movie ends with a quick surprise/cut to black/roll credits and gives the impression that the main characters die at the end, that kind of downer ending... I can do without it. It's those types of downer endings that have been the downfall of Tobe Hooper in recent years.

20. MrVess

MrVess Guest

"Spoorloos" / "The Vanishing" - QED...