Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Behemoth, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

Is this played straight, or is it tongue-in-cheek-y? And is it good? Gory? Scary? I found it cheap at www.dvdsoon.com but thought I'd check with you guys before ordering it.

They also had Lust for a Vampire fairly cheap; both cost around US$ 14. Is L.f.a.V. any good?

2. Early 70's Hammer

Hi, Behemoth.

DOCTOR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE is definitely tongue-in-cheek. It was written and co-produced by Brian Clemens, who was heavily involved in the legendary British TV series "The Avengers". Besides some quite good comedy, there's an enticing shot of a topless Martine Beswick, the delectable star of the camp classic SLAVE GIRLS / PREHISTORIC WOMEN.

LUST FOR A VAMPIRE is a lame sequel to the moderately better THE VAMPIRE LOVERS. It's humour is mainly unintentional (such as an excruciatingly bad love song), but again there's some nudity.

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Hmmmm...

I personally thought DJ&SH was a little more serious than that, but then, I take everything pretty serious. Ralph Bates is terrific as Jekyll, and Beswick, well, she just smokes. The only problem I have with the film is, as great as Ralphs performance of Jekyll is, I wish they would have fleshed out Beswick's Hyde a little more than just relegating her to a pretty flat (character-wise ;) ) portrayal of a stalker/killer. I think this could have been a true Hammer classic, a real power-house for them, had they more deeply developed the relationship between Jekyll and Hyde, and the effects it had on each's personality. As it is, Beswick really just plays a female Jack the Ripper, with neither motive nor reflection explored.

I highly recommend DJ&SH, as it has great set and costume design, is well filmed in regard to camera work, and I found the acting and script to be very good. If only the character development had been more developed, I would have no reservations whatsoever. I suppose it could be viewed as camp, but I think it can definitely be taken as straightforward horror right alongside the camp. A very good mix.

As for Lust for a Vampire? Luscious Lipstick Lesbian Lamias! Oh yeah, this rocks, verily. :D Who cares about acting in this one? Not me. It's pure eye-candy. Get it while it's hot! :D

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

I've always been partial to gratuitous nudity! :D Thanks for your help, you guys!