Dr. Phibes - theatrical version?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jason Reynolds, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Jason Reynolds

Jason Reynolds New Member

I was getting ready to pre-order Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again and Die Monster Die from Buy.com, but noticed in their description of the movies it says "theatical version." I didn't know there was more than one version, so does anyone know the difference?

BTW, Buy has all of these for $9.49 each, which is the cheapest I've seen them for pre-order.

-Jason

2. jae

jae Guest

Someone may be able to help you more but what I THINK this means is that originally, Vincent Price sings 'Over The Rainbow' over the end credits I believe.. This was cut from all video releases due to a problem with the rights and is supposedly restored for this DVD release..

I just rented Phibes and saw it for the first time about a week ago.. Great movie! I'm really looking forward to the DVDs.

3. Jason Reynolds

Jason Reynolds New Member

I went ahead and ordered all three.

-Jason

4. jae

jae Guest

Is Die Monster Die worth picking up? I haven't seen it but the cover looked cheesy when I saw it at Blockbuster while I was out of town (local one doesn't have it).. Still it has Karloff and its directed by some guy who was responsible for the sets of all the Corman/Poe movies I think.. I've only seen bad reviews for it though.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Die, Monster Die! is an okay movie, it was made only a few years before Boris Karloff's death, and it's obvious from watching it that he wasn't in the best shape. There are some good make-up effects and some nice atmosphere, but the hero, Nick Castle, is a tad annoying. I'd say you might as well pick it up, considering the dirt-cheap price MGM is charging.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Oops! I mean Nick Adams played the hero in Die, Monster Die!...

...Nick Castle played Michael Myers in the original Halloween.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

7. landrvr

landrvr Guest

jae has it right about the 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' bit.

only it was in Dr. Phibes Rises Again.

8. HELLION

HELLION Guest

Tim Lucas from Video Watchdog recently stated that DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN should be fully restored now, because MGM now owns the rights to Phibes and OVER THE RAINBOW.

------------------
    Positively the MOST horrifying signature ever made!