Dracula (1958) Blu-Ray Specs Revealed!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Shawn Francis, Jan 11, 2013.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Agreed. Thanks Shawn. Looks like I will be purchasing this after all.

2. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

In the process of watching the 2007 DRACULA (1958) restoration, which is included. That "blue tint" is present here as well, but it doesn't stand out as it does in the 2012 version. In fact all the colors in the film, compared to the 2012 version, don't pop as much. Hammer really did an outstanding job in remastering it. Personally, I find the 2012 restoration to be superior. Detail, color, clarity, all of it looks ten times better.

3. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Not sure if I was clear or not when I was talking about Hammer's DRACULA (1958) blu-ray. Some people are assuming there's a seamless branching thing going on. There isn't. Hammer's supplied us fans with two distinct restorations on the blu-ray and when you hit PLAY you are given these two options:

BFI 2007 Restoration (1.66:1)
    Hammer 2012 Restoration (1.66:1)

That's exactly how they are labeled. It's the 2012 version you'll want to play first. That's the one where colors and clarity have been beefed up to gorgeous levels. If you want a more restrained film-like look go with the 2007 version.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the detailed feedback on this release Shawn. It sounds like the difference between these two transfers lies more with color saturation than the color timing. Would you say that the hue of the two transfers is the same? If the colors in general are more subdued on the 2007 restoration that might explain why no one griped about the blue tinting then.

5. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "color timing." This is why I don't do technical reviews for the terminology throws me. I just know the 2012 version presents very vivid colors and clarity to the point where you can make out skin texture and texture in clothing and architecture. The 2007 version is the same just not tweaked to such a level. Night scenes are still dark, the "blue tint" only comes in where there's a sliver of light in a corner, but not all the time. Most of the night scenes are free of any kind of "tinting." It's not like it's seen through a blue tinted lens either. Only scene I thought had too much blue in it was when Cushing finds Harker's body in the cellar in the beginning. It was deep and dark as you'd expect but a tad too much blue highlight mixed in, but it doesn't look that accentuated in the 2007 version because of the restrained colors. People might bitch about the 2012 one, now that I think about it. They may not be used to seeing this film so bright and detailed. I personally loved it and could never watch the 2007 version again.

6. shape22

Thanks! I was referring to the tinting of the color palette. It sounds like the two restorations are very similar in that area, with the colors further strengthened in the 2012 transfer. That works for me.

7. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Yeah, that might be what I was getting at. The colors are the same in both both versions. Take the scene where Lucy is waiting for Drac to show up. Her lavender nightgown and pink bed sheets are still pink and lavender in the 2012 version, it's just in the 2012 version they pop like a motherfucker. Very striking. It'll make you go, Wow.

8. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I could also make out her skin texture on her cheek, too, as she stared at the window. That was something to behold.

9. shape22

One more question please Shawn. Do the day for night scenes, like Tania's meeting with Lucy, look more like night now? On the Warner DVD that entire scene is clearly misrepresented. You can tell it's broad daylight throughout--from the long shot of the forest that begins the scene to the initial shot of Tania moving toward the camera through their walk together. I'd imagine that scene is much more atmospheric if the brightness is toned down.

10. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Hang on, let me go check that scene again, on both versions.

11. shape22

Thanks man! Sorry to be high-maintenance.

12. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Both versions appear to be the same. Mind you I have never seen the WB DVD, but that scene still appears to be a day-for-night shot. But the sky that's visible through the trees is a blue-gray, but as they walk on you can still tell it's a bit too bright to be considered night. The shot before that, as Tania walks up to the camera, looks like an overcast day to me.

13. shape22

Thanks for checking it out. Interesting. With so much talk of the transfer being darker I assumed they dialed down the day for night shots.

14. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I just learned this is a seamless branching thing. It's weird because the 2012 version looks more colorful. I don't get it. Well, then, regardless, this restoration still looks gorgeous.

15. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

16. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I have this Blu and it looks great. Really pleased with how this looks. Detail is excellent, the colour scheme looks natural and blacks are nice and deep. The print is in great condition and the restored footage looks far better than i expected. Highly recommended if you can plat region B. Dont be put off if you were displeased with the Curse Of Frankenstein Blu.