Dracula Turns 80! Happy Birthday Drac!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Feb 15, 2011.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

OK, so it's a little belated as 2/12 was the original release date, but it's never too late to celebrate. I still watch this yearly and find it still casts a spell for me. There's still great acting from Lugosi, Van Sloane, Fry and yes even Helen Chandler. I know she takes a lot of heat, but I think she plays both a spacey broad and a soul possessed quite well. When she lunges at Harker it's quite compelling and I believe that sells her role.

A few weeks ago I tinted it green per the original release but never got around to watching the whole thing that way so I'll be throwing that in tonight. Is that timing or what?

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Happy (belated) Birthday Dracula!

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday,Count !

4. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Now hopefully Universal will release a 80th aniversary Blu-ray

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Figured I'd bump this thread for an interesting fan edit someone's just put together.

As you may or may not know Dracula was re-edited by the producers just prior to release. There were a few re-shoots and a few scenes were moved around a bit. At that same time a Spanish version was also being shot, on the same set using the same shooting script. This Spanish version was recently found and ranked by many critics to be superior to the Browning version. What's interesting is that while most of the footage is the same both movies are cut differently with arrangement of scenes, and one would assume the Spanish version is closer to the original intent.

Well one fan has gone back and re-edited Browning's Dracula using the Spanish version as a guide. It's up on YouTube now and I'd advise watching it while you can:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0DBF112DB86255F0

This fixes a lot of things, for example in Browning's version Van Helsing/Steward have a back to back conversion early on from when we first meet Helsing and when he goes to the Sanitarium to meet Renfield, and it's somewhat repetitive. I always found that cumbersome and this edit fixes that. But at the same time the cuts between Mina/Harker's scenes and Helsing/Dracula later in the game aren't as smooth as I think they can be.

Overall it works surprisingly well when cut back together, and it may just need a few tweaks to really make it work.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Very interesting video. I've always had a strong preference for the Lugosi/Browning version, despite the Spanish version's obvious visual superiority. The scripts for the two versions are very similar, but the Spanish version runs a half an hour longer without really adding any new dialogue and thus the pace really seems to drag at times. Plus Bela Lugosi, Edward Van Sloan and Dwight Frye are much, much better than their Spanish counterparts in my opinion.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, the English cast of Lugosi/Sloan/Frye truly blows the Spanish version out of the water, and at times I'm left scratching my head why some would prefer it. Some nicer shots and a mix of different scenes don't make up the difference when it comes down to the performances.

The Spanish version is just a footnote in my mind and I've only watched it a couple of times. I've never really had a problem with Dracula in its current form, and while this new cut doesn't really change my opinion on Dracula much it seems to be opening the eyes of a few Dracula detractors so I figured I'd share it.

8. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Maybe this will encourage Universal to put both cuts & the spanish version on a blu-ray release.

9. cjh5801

cjh5801 New Member

Hey, I'm the "someone" who did the fan edit. Thanks for linking to it. I'd really like to see Universal do a real edit along these lines. I think it improves the final half of the film quite a bit.

- Clark