Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash J. Williams, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I liked it. It was a lot better than I expected and had a lot of Evil Dead references that I appreciated.

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

You know it's a Sam Raimi horror film when: Christine (yuck, yuck) hides in her room from the demon, and the camera pulls back to reveal a poster with a kitten and text that reads "Hang in There!" :lol:

This was very fun, very Raimi horror. Lots of disgusting moments--poor Christine finds herself getting gummed twice with various fluids slopping all over her. Practical effects were awesome. The CGI was, once again, spotty: the goat, the
    anvil-squashed head shooting eyes and viscera
    , very noticeable.

Story followed only Raimi's rules or lack thereof:
    Christine is attacked in her home, and her boyfriend and a doctor manage to ignore the trashed home and her bleeding lip and chalk it up to "post-traumatic stress." Right. Chunks and chunks of hair are torn from Christine, but it's never addressed or worried about. Christine even vomits blood all over her boss and desk, but no one blinks, and, in fact, she's expected to show back up to work!
    But it is what it is: Raimi cutting loose and playing loosely within the genre he loves so much. Wish he'd make more of these.

3. neversummer

neversummer New Member

The envelope switch-a-roo was a bit of a let down, although I must admit I thought Long's character was gonna get it in the end
    Great pussycat effects!

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I picked this up and liked it as much as I did when I saw in theaters (Although I did miss all the gasps and laughs from the audience haha). Such a fun fun movie with some decent scares and Raimi's crazy humour and camera work. He really beats up the main actress Bruce Campbell style.

But I watched the Director's Cut and a few sequences didn't play as well as I remembered them to. This may be one of the few times where the theatrical version is better, unless my memory is just off. Is there anywhere to find a list of EVERY difference between the two cuts?

I gave it a 9 out of 10 on first impression and although I still really like it, that was probably a little high. I'll give it an 8.5 as some of the CGI stood out to me this time around. Maybe because it was the Director's Cut!?

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I watched it last night and thought it had some fun gross-out scenes and a couple of good jolts. However, I was bothered by the lopsided morality of it:

Christine did not deserve to go to Hell. Sylvia is by no means out of options just because she can't get an extension on her loan, and yet she decides it's okay to condemn another person to eternal damnation? Come one, how can that possibly be fair? Sylvia could have gone to live with her daughter, or to an assisted living facility, but she doesn't want that, so it's okay to send the one that she felt had caused her spite to Hell?

Christine's actions veer towards self-preservation, but she is not such a bad person - she is even unable to pass the curse on to the jerk who stole the details on the account she was working on. So she killed a cat to save her soul? Most of us eat meat every day to sustain our lives.

For a movie that is basically a morality play, Drag Me to Hell makes the grievous mistake of having no sense of proportion.

6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I finally saw this last night. I'm beginning to think that I'm just not the target demographic for ANY mainstream film anymore. I thought this movie sucked.

Overly predictable plot, AWFUL CGI, boring and pointless storyline with tons of plot holes, not funny or scary (jump scares galore, yay!), and it was hurt by it's PG-13 rating (a movie about demonic curses with basically no gore and 1 swear word? :eek2: )

I love Sam Raimi, but this was Hollywood popcorn American film hack material. :(

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thank you--I thought I was the only one who felt let down by this. I think I was literally frowning during and after watching it.

8. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

I couldn't finish this movie. so fucking stupid. It made me "unlike" what I did of his previous efforts. Sam Raimi's true colors really show in this film and those are the colors of a goober retard who's talents are just hair better than that fatass Kevin Smith.

Fuck you Raimi. FUCK YOU!

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I think you need a vacation.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This movie is zany and awesome. There are a couple of bad examples of CG gore in the film, but all of the other crazy shit makes up for it tenfold. That's all there is to it.

Also, the unrated version makes several small improvements over the PG-13.

11. i still havent seen it...is it worth buying on dvd?

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

If this thread is any inclination, I'd say rent or borrow it first. I loved it, but you might hate it. Also make sure to get the unrated version, it's got a bit more of the gooey stuff.

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed Drag Me To Hell. I thought the trailer was awful and I wasn't the least bit excited about it. I'm glad I gave it a shot based on Raimi's past output.

Raimi's fingerprints are definitely all over it. If there was much studio interference with the production I don't detect it in the finished product. And the PG-13 rating wasn't a factor for me.

Those of you who hated it, what exactly were you expecting? Are you fans of Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness? If so, I'm surprised you couldn't find something to like here.

14. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Not many significant differences. Look here:

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5392849

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Cool thanks! Looks like the unrated version is actually better, although I think the cat death scene plays better in the theatrical cut.