Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash J. Williams, Dec 22, 2007.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i just got back from seeing it again, it was even better the second time! so much fun in a packed theater with a responsive audience. such an awesome movie, and that ending... there was at least 10 people who all freaked out and yelled
    its the button!!! NO shes gonna die!!

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have to see this movie- even if its sadly by myself! Judging by the critic and movie goer reviews this sounds like it is pretty awesome.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it so much the second time V789. I remember you were a big advocate from the beginning despite some of us nay sayers.

Maybe I'll watch it again to see if I like it even better the second time. Probably at home though.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  4. vampyr789

Uncle Jay is missing out....

5. vampyr789

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Interesting article. I am torn. I agree with some of the things said. If Raimi's name was not on it, I really don't think it would get as much buzz. Yet, in the article, it states that Raimi wasn't the Evil Dead draw, Campbell was. True. But this is way, way better than the horror remakes and other bubble-gummer horror put out there. Even though it is PG 13, it is not a high school drama masquerading as a horror film. And didn't it still do relatively well in comparison to let's say, 1000 Corpses upon its release. This was Raimi's production company, not a major studio in that respect. No? Just thinking out loud.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

really fantastic. after that opening scene, i knew i was in for a treat. i don't care if it was more digital than practical, it was done well. gotta love the ram-o-cam!

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

False. Sure, The Evil Dead wouldn't be the same without Bruce Campbell, but without Raimi's stylish talent to compliment Bruce's talent the movie would've fallen flat and wouldn't have had nearly the same word of mouth that made it so successful back in the early 80s. And don't forget that despite Bruce's starring role in Army of Darkness, the film still bombed at the box office. If there's an excuse as to why Drag Me To Hell isn't doing better, it's because it isn't playing everywhere. I had to drive to another state completely in order to see it.

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Didn't know that. It seems to be playing enough places around here. Every hour at the AMC where we saw it.

I do think that typically actors are a bigger deal than directors, though. Any girl I have ever met that has a clue about horror love Bruce Campbell, including my gf. The whole deal is that they are the face of the film in many cases a la the AOD posters.

I am a bigger fan of Argento, yet can admit that his best is past him. That is clearly the case with Raimi/Campbell as well, so that is why I have no problem saying that this film is no Evil Dead. The Spiderman franchise is a different story. Maybe if didn't have to shoot for PG 13, it would be a different story, I guess.

10. maybrick

People always label a movie a "bomb" without taking into account the number of theaters a movie plays. For instance, Land of the Lost pulled 5 million more than Drag Me to Hell in their respective opening weekends. Neither one did all that hot, but Land of the Lost fared worse when you consider that it played in a 1000 more theaters nationwide. Drag Me To Hell played the same number as My Bloody Valentine and without question was blown away at the box office by MBV, but MBV had 4 things going for it that DRtH didn't: name brand recognition, a gimmick, it had the benefit of being holiday themed, and it starred a fairly popular TV actor in the way of Jensen Ackles. Drag Me To Hell had Raimi, but the only truly strong "mainstream" success he's ever really had was with Spider-Man. And let's face it: it's Spider-Man! No matter who directed that it would've still pulled more than 100 mil at the box office.

I grabbed this from Box Office Mojo. With the exception of the Spider-Man franchise, it looks as if Drag Me To Hell is doing historically fairly average business for Sam Raimi.

11. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Who else thinks that this is going to turn into a kind of cult classic movie, cause I do!!!

12. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

Caught a matinee of this over the weekend and I have to say, I was really impressed. Folks, do yourself a favor and see it at least once. It really is worth it. It's a lot of FUN! Scary, well acted, and genuinely effective...the title sequence is great, and the sound design will blow your hair back...if this is what we can expect from Sam in the future I'm game! Yes, the pg-13 is still an issue, but not film-wise...it's still a quite spooky little horror film despite the rating, it's the fucking teenage twats in the theater talking and giggling and basically ruining the film experience for the adults in the theater. I saw this at a 3 oclock showing on a friday afternoon and I was literally the only adult in the room. Sure enough, a gaggle of tweens about 5-6 rows behind me babbling through all the previews...At the first opportune silence I let out a very matter of fact "shut the fuck up!!!" loud enough for the whole theater to hear...and ya know what...it worked. The kids shut their trap through most of it and the ones that didn't so much were being silenced by their friends. they were all behind me ( i like to sit pretty close to front) and by the time the film started it was so loud that I couldn't really hear their shit anyway...I had a good time and enjoyed it. sucks about little tweens talking and shit though...I thought it was all very good spooky fun. Definitely the type of horror film i wish we'd see more of nowadays...it's definitely a love letter to the horror films of the past in the way the story is presented, and there's a lot of little nods and winks to the genre throughout...I would pay to see it again actually....two thumbs way up from me...:D:banana:

13. vampyr789

glad you enjoyed it!!! you have to see it again, it is even better (and funnier) the second time around. :D

14. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

No, I didn't miss it. I said in a previous post, I didn't realize that Sam Raimi came forward and told his fans not to worry about the PG-13 rating. Also, many people had to publicly announce to not get turned off by the PG-13. Now, the fact that both Raimi and the general public had to say that, PROVES MY POINT about the standard PG-13 horror movie!

"Drag Me to Hell," was very good...I must admit! Definitely pushes the PG-13 barrier and Sam Raimi definitely pulled out the old school gloves for this job. I enjoyed myself, the opening and the ending are magnificent. Well acted, across the board. That said, I thought some (not all, some) of the hokeyness humor was not necessary and in fact ruined some of the tone. It should've taken itself a bit more seriously (i.e. The first "Evil Dead" and "The Gift").

*** out of ****

-UJ

15. vampyr789

lol sorry...glad to hear you liked it! :D

...oh and btw, i just became a HackMaster!!! YAY! 1000 posts! :D

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I disagree with that article. It didn't need an R rating, and although R rating horror movies are in right now, I don't think it could have helped this film.

The truth is, Raimi isn't a big enough name to attract an audience. Most people have never heard of Evil Dead or Army of Darkness, and Spider-man did not do well because of Raimi, but because it's Spider-Man!

The biggest problem with this movie was the marketing. The trailer just didn't make it look very interesting. It looked like every other run of the mill PG13 movie that has come out lately, minus the remake name recognition. If I didn't know who Raimi was, or didn't read all the positive reviews for it, I wouldn't have checked out this movie either. I heard so many people in the audience before the movie started stating how the trailer sucked and didn't make it look very good or scary (Although I have no reason why they were there to see it then). They should have advertised it as the fun roller coaster ride that it was, instead of a generic teen horror flick.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, agreed on that. If they would have marketed it as the fun horror comedy that it is, it would have definitely cut through the clutter and stood out (like the film actually does once you've seen it). As it was marketed, it was just more of the same and PG-13, not really the best of combos. ARMY OF DARKNESS underperformed, too, and while this isn't of the same caliber, I'm sure it will enjoy a similarly long shelf life on video once the cat (heh) is out of the bag.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I think it will become a cult movie when it hits DVD/ Blu as well.

Cat comment :lol:

19. maybrick

Dissing a movie just because of a rating seems a bit shallow to me. Haven't we all learned by now that horror movies are hardly ever rated what they are for "fear factor" but rather for political reasons based upon the reputations of their directors/producers? There are a ton of movies out there that if released today wouldn't receive an "R" rating, and if they did, it wouldn't be for gore or nudity, but for language. Honestly, what is there really about HALLOWEEN or EVIL DEAD 2 that justifies an R rating anymore? And would they really lose that much without the quick flashes of nudity and F-bombs?

20. vampyr789

yea i really agree