Dream Demon (1988)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Hellbilly, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

This never went under my radar during video rental days, but for some unknown reason I've never checked out Dream Demon either. I believe Warner distributed this on VHS in the early 1990s in the U.S.?
    UK Horror that looks like a mix between Poltergeist and NOES is making its DVD debut in Germany soon. First ever DVD release worldwide? Either way, I'm interested in checking this flick finally out. Anybody ever seen Dream Demon?

2. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

I saw this on home video during the late '80s, and probably still have the (UK) VHS in my loft somewhere. It was a decent little flick notable here for the acting of Timothy Spall, who had previously been regarded as a comedy icon. Got overlooked by many though as there was a deluge of good and better horror films around at the time.

I have a DVD of Dream Demon named "fans workprint" which I acquired about 2 years ago, please PM me if you would like to see it.

3. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hellbilly, who's releasing it and do you know where it'll be sold at in Germany? :eek1: I couldn't find it listed on D&T or Amazon DE.

I'm definitely interested if it's English friendly and not just dubbed.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

'84 Entertainment are planning to release it as part of their "Creepy Little Things" line. No release date has been announced yet but I assume soon

[​IMG]

Dream Demon is still on the German Index of "forbidden" movies, meaning, by law Amazon.de can't offer it for sale on their site.

6. Katatonia

^^^ cool, thanks for the info! :evil:

I'm not familiar with the studio, but they look promising.

Yeah, that German censorship is lame bullshit. You'd think a country that was once so heavily censored with burning of books and such would be far more open regarding little things like horror movies!

At least in America the extreme nutcases haven't been able to ban these things...yet! :nervous:

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Ooooh, Mikey! Would be curious about that disc. If it's widescreen or a decent transfer, I might have to import that one.

8. Katatonia

The old R1 DVD was fullscreen, but had a pretty solid transfer. I friggin' love Mikey though. If it's widescreen that would be a wet dream. :blabla:

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Well, the German censor/rating organization has become more open about horror movies in recent years. Lots of titles once censored and/or put on the Index in the 1980s (Re-Animator, Society etc) are now available uncut. For example the R-Rated version of Friday the 13th Part 2 got a pass after re-submission. They even lowered the rating from "18" down to "16", which is similar to a PG-13 rating!
    Basically any movie company can re-submit a movie to the ratings board. In case of Dream Demon I suspect that '84 Entertainment don't wanna shell out the extra cash for a possible re-rating.

10. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

If it's in widescreen, I shall bite!

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So is Dream Demon pretty gory or why did it get on the ban list for Germany?

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I couldn't find the exact reason why Dream Demon was put on the index, but the most common reason is usually "harmful to minors" (even though the movie is rated "18"). Meaning, there is probably a scene (or scenes) "glorifying" violence, or something else that is presented in a explicit manner (doesn't have to be gory) that could be harmful to minors.
    If a movie is on the Index it's not really 'banned'. It can be still sold, but the movie can't be displayed openly in stores (you'll have to ask a salesperson, they usually keep indexed movies behind the counter, out of public view from "minors").

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It appears that Oliver Krekel sometimes works together with '84 Entertainment. How much he is involved with that company I do not know.