Dreamcatcher

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Hellbilly, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

You know ... actually it is rather popular :)
    I've just checked IMDb's Weekly Top DVD/Video Rentals and so far Dreamcatcher has made over $54m (!) - not counting DVD/Video sales.
    Not bad for a bad film that grossed a little over $30m in theaters back in March.

2. etale

etale Guest

Thanks!
    Will save my money for something else.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Hey now, you missed my updated review ;)

4. etale

etale Guest

On the other hand, it might fun for a rental.
    Sounds a lot bettr than BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

5. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

BINGO... and the alien showdown at the end was just too much.

Slightly reminiscient of Tommyknockers and It, two otherwise good movies ruined by overly cheesey "alien" endings...

6. Latency

Latency Guest

:fire: HEY! I saw Battlefield Earth 6 times in the cheapo ($1) theatre. I loved it! Well worth the $6 :D

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Sheesh, is this movie really 8 years old already?

Checked it out of the library today. As far as King films go, it ain't the best and it certainly ain't the worst. Taken as a cheesy B flick it's entertaining enough. It's kind of hard to look at past all of the implausible actions of the characters otherwise (and I don't think I need to make a list of all of them since I'm sure most of you have already seen it by now. There were a ton.)

Lots of reactionary posts back in the day. Sure, Dreamcatchers is a bad film, but it ain't that bad.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Hated the movie but adore the book.

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

One of King's weaker books for me and the movie was even more disappointing. Still have no idea what they were thinking with the alien battle ending.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I agree about the book, I didn't like it either.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it in the theater and laughed so hard at times that I thought I might be ejected by the staff.
    No such luck .

The film did confirm something I have always suspected though,if you are possessed by a mysterious evil force you will spontaniously develop a British accent.It also shoots down an oft quoted belief,"Morgan Freeman is good in everything".So I guess you could say the film is educational if nothing else.

Well worth seeing...once.

12. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Absolute garbage. Hated it the first time I saw it, and have had no desire to revisit it since. Easily the worst movie (that I've seen) w/ Stephen King's name on it. (I haven't read the book.) Bad CGI critters, the worst tagline ever ("Evil slips through" for a movie about eel-like aliens that come out of people's asses? Really? Really?!), and of course the central idea is a riff on Alien that a 10-year-old might come up with. No wonder it bombed at the box office. I'm surprised someone dug up this post to discuss this greasy turd of a movie after all this time. I guess it just slipped through. I felt less unclean after watching The Human Centipede (a far better movie) than I did Dreamcatcher.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I didn't see the CGI as much worse than it was in The Mist. I'm not going to go out of my way to defend Dreamcatcher because it really isn't a good movie, but come on. Bad Stephen King films are more the rule rather than the exception. In my opinion, all of the Mick Garris films are worse, ESPECIALLY Sleepwalkers. Secret Window wasn't all that great either.