Drive Angry 3-D

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Feb 26, 2011.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

This is the best film of 2011 so far. Total exploitation and more satisfying than either of the films in Grindhouse. If you liked Machete, this is even better. It's got a little of everything and is a throwback to films like Ride with the Devil, but also stuff like The Car and lots of '80s and '90s films in terms of gore/fun. It's tons of fun. Lots of fun cameos, great action and GIMMICKY AS FUCK 3-D! Best use of 3-D since Lussier's My Bloody Valentine. There is a lot of nudity in the film. Not as much as Piranha 3D, but you'll have a smile on your face...and Amber Heard. Damn!

No, it's not perfect. There are some slow parts and some of the pace is uneven. However, I can forgive any shortcomings because If you're looking for contemporary exploitation on the big screen, this is it. The trailers kind of made it look a bit more like Fast and Furious. It's not. It doesn't have any pretentions (let's face it...Machete and Grindhouse did).

Did I mention Tom Atkins still kicks ass! See this motherfucker on the big screen and have a blast this weekend. I might see it again. :evil:

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, it doesn't take much to be better than Machete.

I am looking forward to this one, though, I may go next weekend.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'll probably check it out when it comes to blu-ray. I don't like paying 3d ticket prices...

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

know what you mean. I used my scene card points...no cost. :banana:

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

there's an older cineplex near me. on half price tuesdays, regular movies are $4, and 3D is $7. Awesome.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I checked my local listings and no one is playing a 2D version of this, so I definitely won't be checking it out in theater. I'm taking a stand against 3D ticket prices! :D

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I just saw the film and quite honestly didn't care much for it. Sure it had some beautiful nude women in it and some graphic violence but I'm not a teenager anymore so that in itself isn't enough. I like Nicolas Cage but that's two in a row that weren't very good (Season of the Witch). This was the better of the two films but you had better check your brain at the door for this one. I enjoyed Machete more. Certainly for me Planet Terror is the much more enjoyable and entertaining film as well. I will say that the 3D effects were done quite well.

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I think Nicolas Cage is struggling hard lately to pay off his debts and accepting some really cheese roles, not that this one is or is not(I have not seen it yet), but a lot of recent Cage films were shitty.
    EDIT: A local website that publishes fan reviews rated this a 5 out of 10, they're usually bang on so I'm out especially with the 3D prices.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  9. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Man, this bombed at the box office. Even if it's a good flick (like rxfiend, I refuse to pay $3 extra for glasses that they then expect you to give back so I doubt I'll see it until Blu-Ray), hopefully this reigns studios in a bit on this 3D madness.

10. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Your review is spot on. Great genre flick and a lot of fun. My thought is if you spend any money on 3D movies, spend it on a proven director that knows how to film it.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

While Drive Angry is far from being a good film, I had a blast while watching it and enjoyed it for what it was: mindless cheesy exploitation. Most fun I've had in the theatre so far this year.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Erm... don't know what to say... I've seen better films this year, fortunately.

Drive Angry reminded me some guys you meet at parties that try REALLY hard to sell you a good joke but have NO sense of humor. No sense whatsoever. Almost every 'gag' in this film falls flat. No need to laugh, no need to feel tension. As the father of a 2yo daughter, I did get anxious about the baby, but even in the worst of films I can feel that kind of tension these days.

BUT the film has great T&A. Especially the milf in the scene ripped-off from 'SHOOT-EM-UP' - wow, what a body! Felt so jealous of Cage! Fichtner was funny in some scenes but he too seems to overplay the joke (so he's "off-beat" and that's fine, BUT if you overplay "off-beat", it's not off-beat anymore, y'know? A director with a sense of humor would have noticed something as simple as that).

And the 3D was not that gimmicky. Even in the Green Hornet the 3D seemed to be more prevalent.

Poor Cage. Poor, poor Cage. I really feel sorry for the guy. If I was Jerry Lewis and in good health, I'd start a Telethon for him. 'Save Nicholas Cage's career'. Though it's already too late. If Bruce Willis was the star of this, it would've made three times as much money. Oh the sadness of what I just typed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eExfV_xKaiM

p.s.: still, it was cool to see Atkins again.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  13. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I just got back from this and thought it was a lot of fun. It's by no means Oscar worthy, but a perfect example of an exploitation done right, completely kicks Machete's ass out the water.

14. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I thought it was a cheesy and over-the-top blast. It doesn't out-Grindhouse Grindhouse but I liked it more than Machete (and the My Bloody Valentine remake, for that matter). It has a lot of problems (like a bombastic over-use of CGI) but it's heart is in the right place and it's never, ever boring. I do, however, wish that Nic Cage was crazier. I expected his performance in this film to match, or eclipse, that of Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans but he's disappointingly subdued. Not bad, just ... normal. The 3-D was well done but, as always, completely and utterly pointless. Halfway through the film, I wanted to take off the glasses and just watch the movie in 2-D. People make a big deal about films being shot in 3-D, as opposed to post-converted but, with the exception of Clash of the Titans, I usually can't tell the difference. Neither of them add anything to the film and they certainly don't enhance it, the way James Cameron and Martin Scorsese want you to believe.

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I didnt think the previews looked very interesting and I really do not like films with Cage with the exception of a couple. But you guys got me interested so I might go check it out in 3-D or at least a rent later. I very highly doubt this is even close to Grindhouse nor as much fun as the 3-D in My Bloody Valentine since I think both of those were excellent- but maybe ill be surprised.

Isn't Amber Heard in this movie? Man I do like Amber Heard so that can offset Cage.....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I thought it was fun,over the top and down and dirty but good natured in it's sleaziness.Some very nice practical stunt work in this too.By the way,Charlotte Ross from NYPD BLUE has aged really well !

17. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I got to interview screenwriter Todd Farmer over at Oh, The Horror! last week. Found out some interesting tidbits on Drive Angry and other projects he has been involved with.

Check it out, here.

He even mentions Race With the Devil was one of his and Patrick Lussier's inspirations behind the film.

18. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Nice interview !

19. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

You know that's right ! Damn she is hot ! I thought this was a pretty fun mindless movie experience as well. Lots of gratuitous violence, nudity, and cameos. They just don't make 'em like this anymore, so it was a pleasure to see it in a theater.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  20. BurningMoon

BurningMoon New Member

Pure mindless entertainment! This was tons of fun...pretty much my only complaint would be that Amber Heard keeps her clothes on throughout.