Dumb question about Paramount's April Fools Day DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Suicide, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Okay, I just got around to seeing this one a couple months ago, and I really liked it, so I wanna add it to the collection, but I need to know is it cut? I know My Bloody Valentine and all the Friday's are, but I don't know about April Fool's Day. I don't mind a few snips here and there but I don't wanna buy it if it's butchered. Anyone?

2. John

John Guest

I wasn't aware of an 'uncut' version. It seems that this is the theatrical release. Do you know of any specific scenes that were not in the final cut? I can look and see if they are there.

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm pretty sure there isn't an uncut version, I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm it or not. Because in April Fool's Day most of the deaths are off screen, with someone discovering the body afterwards, so I don't really know, I don't think there would be much they could've cut out really. I'll probably do a little research today and make sure. I'm sure there's a AFD fan site around somewhere.

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

according to IMDB, the theatrical cut is the full cut of the film. If you think about it, how could it really be more gory?
    I say pick it up. Its definately worth it (even without any extras).

5. ***SPOILERS***

If you've seen the ending of the film then you'll know why all the deaths are off-screen and why it isn't all that gory. I'm pretty sure that this is the way it was meant to be seen.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Still though, there were some pretty graphic parts, like the
    eye gouging scene

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've seen this movie and I was looking at the dvd in suncoast the other day. Whos the guy on the back of the case, he looks all scared and shit but I dont remember him in the movie.

8. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Great slasher movie, glad to finally see it in its OAR.

9. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

I believe that back cover shot is from an alternate ending to the film. It does not appear in the film as released.

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Okay, well I got it. Well, I mean I don't have it yet, but I was trying to get it in a trade, and the guy just mailed it out today, so I'll have it sometime next week. I figured it was as gory on the DVD as it was meant to be, just you never know with Paramount.

Anyway I really liked the movie, it's very entertaining, got some intentional funny parts that were actually funny, a few good scary bits, plus it's got Biff in it, anything with Biff in it is good. Anyone see the Freaks and Geeks episodes where he was the gym teacher? Good stuff.

I've read some reviews that talked about how horrible the ending was, which I totally disagree with. How could a horror movie called April Fool's Day not have that ending? I thought it was a perfect way to end it myself.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

I thought the ending was fantastic. Given that there are so many slashers with dates as the titles (F13, Halloween, etc.) I didn't really think anything of the title. So yeah, when I saw the film I totally wasn't expecting the end. Definitely a pleasant surprise!

12. nofxafi

nofxafi Guest

You guys ruined the ending for me!!:mad:

Nah, I'm just kidding.:p

13. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

yeah a whole big part after the "joke" ending, (according to IMDB):
    Jeff Rovin's novelization features the notorious ending in which Skip sneaks back onto the island after everyone has left to kill Muffy for her share of the family money, though he fails and winds up dead himself. This ending has never been released, but stills of it have surfaced.

A revised draft of the script included another version of the above-mentioned ending in which Skip sneaks back onto the island to slay Muffy. He springs out of a closet and slits her throat, and she at first panics but realizes it is all a joke when she sees her friends standing around. The script then states that Skip stays on the island to help Muffy with the bed and breakfast.

yeah i love how the jack in the box clown winks at you, that made it perfect. fantasitc ending to a great film

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I heard the the Alt ending that was shot added something like 20 mins to the film and acts as a twist on the twist.
    It was shot so I have no idea why it's never seen the light of day.

15. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I heard that too.....I would have loved to have seen it....

Apparently the onlt thing that exsists from that ending is the still of Skip on the back of the DVD cover...

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Apparently.:rolleyes: I bet it still exists in Paramount's vaults. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

17. festivusboi

festivusboi Guest

Maybe Paramount could get someone to go in the vaults andsee whats there for this film also.

18. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I saw this for the first time recently, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm glad to hear it wasn't neutered by the ratings board like My Bloody Valentine, which it shares a double-feature DVD with.

For peeps who are interested, my local Wal-Mart had the MBV (theatrical cut) / April Fool's Day DVD in the bargain bin for $5 about two weeks ago.

Is the DTV remake any good? Not that I have high hopes, but is it at least worth a rental?

19. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

No. I didn't like it at all and I'm not one that shuns all remakes. In fact, I like quite a lot of them (Black Christmas, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes, When A Stranger Calls, The Hitcher, etc.), but I think the April Fool's Day remake is crap. It's nothing like the 1986 original. I say avoid.

20. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

One of my favorite slashers.Still holds up after all these years.Some great lesser known 80's actor's and actress's.I need to watch this soon.

sean