Dunkirk (2017) review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 30, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Dunkirk (2017, Chris Nolan)

I got to see this film in the IMAX theatre which is really by far the best way as unlike most other films that use IMAX cameras to heighten portions of the presentation, this one is almost all in the larger IMAX format with only a few dialogue scenes reverting back to the more traditional widescreen format. This is the story of allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire and France who are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

The story is told from several points of view and it chops rapidly between them at a break-neck speed. I think Chris Nolan has taken on board some of the criticisms of past films for over waffling and un-needed length as this one is edited tight as a drum. Some may say there are not enough character moments but I feel there were enough to tell the story effectively.

My grandfather was captured in this region during this time and was a prisoner of war for the remainder of the campaign. It is not lost on me what kind of hell these men went through and this film delivers that feeling. The score is amazing as was the sound design and I will be expecting Oscar nominations for both. I will reserve judgement till i see how it fairs on the home format without the IMAX treatment on whether it is Nolan's best film to date but it might bloody well be.
    8/10

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What films get a 10/10 from you?

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

The Thing (1982)
    Apocalypse Now
    Taxi Driver
    The Godfather Part 2

sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I thought this was fantastic. I've seen it twice. The second time was in 70mm, but honestly that was a little disappointing. I was expecting a noticable difference, and it just wasn't there.

thing likes this.
  5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Brilliant sound design and top cinematography. Odd for a film that largely takes place outdoors to feel so claustrophobic. Not wall to wall bloodshed, more of a mood piece.The editing plays around with time so pay attention or it can get confusing. Rare for an epic scale film to clock in under two hours nowadays, especially in a time where films about kick boxing robots and "schlubby guy romances girl out of his league" rom -coms are clocking in at nearly three hours.

thing likes this.